Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2014, 2:56 am

Try and show him how to distract himself when he's becoming obsessive about a person or else his obsession could turn out to be destructive.

Best wishes.

MomofHFA
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Aug 2017, 3:18 pm

My teen son has been in trouble with the law because of an obsession with a classmate and some threats he made. Social media was the thing that took it over the edge. We have gone as far as to remove him from his school and enrol him in another and limit his access to social media. Things seemed to be going well. He found the new school fun and even made a few friends. This was at the beginning of the school year and the obsession seemed to wane. Just recently, he has been 're-obsessing' on this classmate once again because of social media. I suppose he found it difficult to express this to us, so his anxiety just built and built. We have had a few 'blow ups' lately and the 'thought loops' are becoming more frequent.
After the last (and worst) blow up, he managed to tell us that his anxiety was so bad because of his huge desire to apologize to this classmate. There is a 'no contact' order so I am at a loss as to what to tell him. We see his social worker in a week, so hopefully there will be some advice coming our way as I am not thrilled to see his reaction when he's told he cannot contact this classmate!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 3:56 pm

I know this thread is quite old, but I obsess over people as well. I tend to obsess over people who are older than I am, rather than people my own age. My main "obsession" right now is also over a teacher. I've always gotten along with teachers because I think they understand me more. I tend to develop very strong attachments to specific people, so it isn't just like I enjoy certain teachers more than others. I really get attached to some people. It can be a good thing, as long as it is managed correctly. The only way I have found to manage it is to realize that the person I am obsessed with will get very annoyed if I get too obsessed with them. Since I really like the person and enjoy their company, I don't want them to be annoyed by me so I can reign myself in :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 4:49 pm

My current obsession is with Denis Istomin. I would like to meet him and do his story.

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Aug 2017, 1:04 am

MomofHFA wrote:
My teen son has been in trouble with the law because of an obsession with a classmate and some threats he made. Social media was the thing that took it over the edge. We have gone as far as to remove him from his school and enrol him in another and limit his access to social media. Things seemed to be going well. He found the new school fun and even made a few friends. This was at the beginning of the school year and the obsession seemed to wane. Just recently, he has been 're-obsessing' on this classmate once again because of social media. I suppose he found it difficult to express this to us, so his anxiety just built and built. We have had a few 'blow ups' lately and the 'thought loops' are becoming more frequent.
After the last (and worst) blow up, he managed to tell us that his anxiety was so bad because of his huge desire to apologize to this classmate. There is a 'no contact' order so I am at a loss as to what to tell him. We see his social worker in a week, so hopefully there will be some advice coming our way as I am not thrilled to see his reaction when he's told he cannot contact this classmate!

I feel for him. I once faced a similar situation. It was painful. I had no way to apologize either.
Can he at least pass a message on?

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 12:08 pm

People obsessions are one of the worst. Thankfully, I haven't had any since my teenage years. The worst was when you were trying to explain to other people why you were so interested in so and so and having no real answer. Ugh.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2017, 2:29 pm

People obsessions are a nuisance, to put it mildly. I can't help wondering how many stalkers are autistic?
I have personally found that they lessen in intensity over time, but were unbearable in my teenage years. The combination of autistic obsessions and teenage hormones was not a good one, in my case. In a few cases the object of my obsessional affections did notice (needless to say I never had courage to tell the person) and several times I failed to notice that they were interested back (couldn't read their signals)! The ladies in question were rather confused. I think if I had been aware of one ladies interest I would have been married ten years earlier!

Tagrhm
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2017, 7:16 am

Anytime I make a friend, or think I've made a friend I tend to be obsessed with that person. Any action they make I analyze to see if they still like me. I want to be with them as much as possible. Even though I don't particular feel social. I don't know why. Usually I either smother them or drive them away by my emotion ups/downs due to me worrying that they are annoyed, angry, or getting a more normal friend. I have a tendency to take whatever they say and do and turn it into something about me. If they don't want to talk with me I'm devastated and worry they don't really like me. I can't even do something else without thinking about them and why they said or did what they did and what I did wrong. Its maddening not to be able to control you reaction to someone or something.