Anyone incapable of ever working?...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 2:24 am

...due to complete lack of skills in any job field, a tendency to stand out among your peers to the point where they harass you, and lack of ability to concentrate on a task for a long period of time?

I'm just wondering how many people here are in my situation, will never work, or at least a conventional 30-40 plus hour job?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 2:52 am

I have done very well in my field, and maintaining a job. It's finding one, especially in this crappy economy, that is an issue.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 3:02 am

I was asking for those who can't work, not those who do work or have trouble finding a job in their field.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2010, 4:53 am

nilescrane wrote:
I was asking for those who can't work, not those who do work or have trouble finding a job in their field.

I find work painful, boring and conflictual too, but it does not mean I can't work. What makes you unable to work?

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2010, 5:00 am

Lack of skills for any given job, and not blending in due to being Aspie and then getting made fun of for it. Then I get noticed more for being incompetent or not getting things as fast as everyone else which leads to more ridicule.

Jaythefordman
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm

nilescrane wrote:
Lack of skills for any given job, and not blending in due to being Aspie and then getting made fun of for it. Then I get noticed more for being incompetent or not getting things as fast as everyone else which leads to more ridicule.

Sounds like you just haven't found the right job/environment for you.

I reckon anyone can work as long as they can function, the question is usually where.

I have never let being an Aspy get in the way of anything i have wanted to do, and despite not always succeeding as well as i would hope, I do OK. The trick is to care only about what matters, not get bogged down in the petty crap that abounds in many work places. be polite, BS a lot, but bottom line is to keep boss happy.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm

Jaythefordman is right, you just havnt found or tried a job that works for you. Personally I CANNOT work a job that requires me to be constantly interacting with co-workers and to have to monitor their actions in order to do mine. I just graduated high school two years ago and am on a break from college so and i've only worked two jobs before, and they were only for a few months each. I sat at a tour agency desk in Hawaii answering customers questions about tours, booking them, taking payments and doing the paperwork that came with it- I had one co-worker at the desk who basically did the same thing so we were on the same page in terms of what we needed to do. That job worked out for me. My other one was a bakers helper for a company that provides airlines and hotels their baked goods ....but that job blew because I was sweaty all day by ovens and had to basically be the head bakers b*tch....i get irritated when i have to listen to somebody else and do things at his/her pace.

I found that for me I can function relatively well when the job leaves me to do things on my own, in my own way and gives me a timeframe. That way everything is pretty much up to me, the pace at which I go, how to go about doing it and lets me know when i need to finish by so i can manage myself. When I have to monitor what my co workers are doing to keep mental track of what i need to do uses up all my brain power and i could not do that 40 hours a week.

Find a job thats mainly solitary- an accountant, customer service (interactions are superficial and repetative-just acting all day long with no actual fluid interaction going on), or idk a cashier or something if work is hard to find in your area.

Last edited by tangomike on 26 Nov 2010, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2010, 7:25 pm

If you claim to not have any job skills, why is that not a huge red flag to fix it?
There's plenty of career schools out there that you can research (like their cost, job placement success rate, etc), rather than perpetual crash and burn.

Obvious 1st step: Be more proactive. It doesn't take a lot of skills to earn a modest living, but you'll never have them if you don't try to go get them.