Do you find yourself thinking your way out of things?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2010, 12:12 pm

SuperApsie wrote:
Again, reason can help you.

We like control and it means we like certainty.

When we have to go to the unexpected we tend to draw premature conclusions in our minds. Then the worst outcome shows as a possibility and collides with the rest of possible outcomes we imagine. In the case of our cognitive judgment, very small bad experiences have a very strong influence among nominal and happy ones: we decide to take the lesser risk and we don't go as the unexpected come close, we don't want to be disappointed

The moral of the story is that we prefer to trade a certain disappointment against uncertainty. That is very irrational given that the uncertainty outcome can be good or disappointing. We prefer to loose instead of giving a chance. Remedy: have a check of your perception of certainty

I believe you've hit the nail on the head there. A pessimist is never disappointed. I find it very hard to put myself in situations where I'm not in control. I've found it's worst when there is an amount of physical distance to travel to get there and when I have to rely on public transport in order to get back again, my mind just whirs with worst possible case scenarios of being stuck there.

LeeAnderson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:54 pm

This happens to me all the time but I suffer through it in silence because I don't want to ruin the fun of my NT friends. I have learned not to be selfish and childish.

TimeAndTea
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2010, 3:06 pm

This, all the time, even just going out on my own I feel this way. If I do convince myself to go, I'm like the SLOWEST at getting ready. I need to double and triple check that I have everything I need, and I always feel anxious like I'm missing something or like I'd just rather stay home. I usually end up enjoying myself enough (or at the very least not having too terrible a time) once I'm actually there though.