Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 11:14 am

What meds help you?

I am on trazadone to help me sleep and it works great, so i won't change.
I've tried many different antidepressants over the years. I've tried different mood stabilizers the last couple of years. They work great for a while, but then fizzle out. I tried getting off them but go into crisis mode.

I also exercise regularly and eat right (most of the time)

Just wondering what has helped others.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:27 pm

SSRIs all worked for depression, but I couldn't (or didn't want to) tolerate their side effects. Wellbutrin is OK, but not ideal for someone with anxiety, too. Speaking of anxiety, a low dose of Klonopin seems to smooth things out a little. This is after high doses of Xanax made my life a nightmare. Ultimately, I would *love* to be medication-free, relying just on myself and my hard-won coping mechanisms.

And it was all for the want of a nail.

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 1:29 pm

Yes, the side effects suck!! I hate batteling with my weight. The wellbutrin (buproprion) allowed me to loose weight at first and that was without doing anything different. Always having exercised, i'm just over weight by about 20 pounds. But iMve been as much as 35 over. Sometimes i obsess over it.

There's also the blurred vision and memory loss. I can handle the blurred vision, but the memory loss :(

I'll look into the klonopin.

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 1:59 pm

Ok, i just looked up klonopine and realised it's a benzodiazipine. I use those only when i absolutely have too. Their effects are immediate, so that's good.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 2:41 pm

itw wrote:
Ok, i just looked up klonopine and realised it's a benzodiazipine.

It is. One of the milder/better ones -- meaning long half-life. No wild sedation to panic back to sedation swings with it.
itw wrote:
I use those only when i absolutely have too. Their effects are immediate, so that's good.

Klonopin is different. My understanding is that it's not one of the ones used so much on an as-needed basis. That's more like Xanax before a stressful social event. With its long half-life, Klonopin is slower-acting, less obvious, and long to wear off. People often take it every night before bed. I take 0.5 mg three times per day -- only because that's roughly the way I took Xanax and got used to it and also the way I take Wellbutrin. I probably could just as easily take Klonopin once a day -- it's that stable.

And it was all for the want of a nail.

itw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

My doc put me on it last year. I was taking 1 mg before bed. I did that for about 2 months. I have to agree, it is the best. It really konked me out, though. Of course, i was taking 1 mg

Thank you for posting. Your input helps. Have a ggreat Thanksgiving.