Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greatsharkbite
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

Just wondering, i've been thinking a little bit about it since yesterday but which parent do you like (Not love) more?

This could mean get along with better, have fewer disgreements or arguments with or just flat out prefer for your own reasons.

For me, its my mom (by default). Only because my Dad was never there for me growing up, but I don't really get along with her either (its thanksgiving and haven't talked to her)

So just curious which parent do you like more and if you don't get along with them, would you like to and explain why it even matters to you.

Claire_Louise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 11:26 pm

my mum - I hardly know my dad.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2010, 1:35 am

This is too easy to answer: my Dad. I usually argue with my Dad but he does care about me despite all that and is willing to listen. My mother and I DO NOT get along AT ALL. If remember right, she has always been the stubborn and ignorant type. Good my parents are divorced and I'm staying with my Dad.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 1:36 am

I like my mom more than my dad. She's been my closest friend and confidante for my entire life, and ever since I got diagnosed with Asperger's, she's been my biggest advocate as well. She's also a lot more emotionally available than my dad is, and she makes sure everything is in order.

My dad is not an emotional person at all - he hardly talks, and when he does, he tends to get preachy about his own opinions and stubbornly refuses to listen to anyone else's point of view. He used to think my mental health problems could be solved by willpower alone and that my OCD was my way of rebelling against him. He used to try to logically explain why I shouldn't have OCD and panic attacks, and he got extremely frustrated when I didn't follow his advice (because I couldn't).

However, my mom says that after I got diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, my dad began to understand that I couldn't follow his logical advice because my brain isn't wired the same as his. My relationship with him has been improving ever since then. My dad really likes to spend time with me now. Our favorite activity together is going swimming at the YMCA.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 2:12 am

I've always been much closer to my mom. We have a lot in common and I feel like she really understands me, probably more than anyone else. It's not that I don't like my dad, but we just don't relate to each other very well. I'm not as comfortable around him.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2010, 7:15 am

Y'know something? It's funny that everyone who has replied here are close to their moms than dads whereas it's the opposite for me. But then again, most females are generally more in-tune with their emotions and know more about these issues than males (I'm a guy BTW). Just some woman aren't exactly the understanding kind and some men are more understanding.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 7:52 pm

they both have there ups and downs, i would say it's a draw

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 9:33 pm

Neither.

E-FrameZenderblast
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2010, 9:55 pm

My Dad, just because he spoils me sometimes and never gets angry.

Mum will finish off any interaction with "can you get the washing in?" or "can you empty the dishwasher?".

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 9:40 pm

Barely my mom, dad wasn't there but he wasn't there to mess up either.

Smike
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2010, 4:05 am

My mum

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 5:24 am

I did get along better with my mum, until that stupid thing she said about Pete Quaife in June. I have to take a rebel's stance and honestly say, I'm not really sure which one at the moment.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:06 pm

When I was growing up I liked my mom better.
Now I prefer my dad.
I don't know when it changed.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

While I'm still having the same problem regarding my parents and my differing beliefs (and first hand experience of what telling the truth of how I really feel - and what consequences it led to - leading me to live a lie because telling the truth only gets me hurt) and the complicated mess that is, if I had to choose, my Mom.

She at least seems more accepting. I'll never understand when I told her about how I really felt regarding the beliefs conflict, she was compassionate and understanding, then later she pretty much turned me into Dad as if he was the thought police - then after the conflict, she's offended that I call her a liar. Leading me to wonder if there's some other problems going on here. Their personalities are direct opposites and they get into arguments often - usually my Dad overpowers her - but they still claim to love each other, so I guess that's... meh.

I still give up really trying to develop any friendship with them. It's an annoying mess, and if they were in my spot they'd probably both understand why I feel the way I do.

IdahoRose wrote:
My dad is not an emotional person at all - he hardly talks, and when he does, he tends to get preachy about his own opinions and stubbornly refuses to listen to anyone else's point of view. He used to think my mental health problems could be solved by willpower alone and that my OCD was my way of rebelling against him. He used to try to logically explain why I shouldn't have OCD and panic attacks, and he got extremely frustrated when I didn't follow his advice (because I couldn't).
This is basically my Dad, except he talks more and while getting preachy, decides to bring religion into everything - his thinking that essentially, if I had severe depression, I didn't have enough God in my life and the Devil was winning against me.

Since he still never listens and uses his older age as the reasoning for him being right about everything and me being wrong about everything, I can't really ever win against him.

At least my Mom is willing to let me say what I have to say. My Dad yells at me for not listening to him, then quotes a biblical passage to support his reasoning, then doesn't listen himself to what I have to say. Meh... so yeah. Mom, if I have to choose.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2010, 2:31 am

I've always wanted to have a close relationship with either parent, but I have to say that I'm 'closer' to my father than my mother. We're actually a very emotionally distant family. My mother is, hands down, the coldest person I have ever met, however, the more I study aspergers and other conditions, the more I try to understand if my mother herself suffers from some type of social disorder, like anxiety. I don't have a close relationship with her at all, and as a result, I think we both end up hurting each others' feelings so regularly that I find it normal.

Example. Today, I called home, and she answered the phone. "Oh," I said, "You didn't go to work today?" And she responded, "What do you want?" and I said, "Well, did you come home early, or did you not go to work today?" In which she responded, "What do you want? Your brother is in the shower. You want to speak to him, right?" And I said, "Well, yes, but...did you not go to work today?" And the conversation ended soon after.

I talk to my parents out of daily necessities, and because they'll go on a tirade about how 'terrible' their American raised children are. I feel bad that my father ended up in a relationship my mother, because I think he's the only 'normal' person in my family, and he suffers a lot because of it. At the same time, I can't seem but have a certain amount of distance from him as well...

Tiggurix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2010, 7:14 am

Definitely my mother, but that's hardly surprising, given that my father is miserable, slothful, good-for-nothing lazy counterfeit of a man! Really, I believe that on the day he dies, I'll almost be glad, as I can finally claim some of his previous belongings for my own and try to put them to good use, though it will be kind of hard to get anything of particular value, seeing as the bastard has five children and I'm only fourth in the line.

Not that I particularly admire my mother either. She can truly grate on my nerves, especially on the days she insisits on constantly ringing me up!