Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 7:54 pm

Science is learning that there are a succession of big bangs, and the universe had no real beginning.

Quote:
Evidence of events that happened before the Big Bang can be seen in the glow of microwave radiation that fills the Universe, scientists have asserted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11837869

Another nail in the coffin for the need of a prime mover.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 8:59 pm

Sounds like a return to the old idea of an "oscillating universe".
First it expands then stops, then collapses onto itsself, then explodes again.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 9:53 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Science is learning that there are a succession of big bangs, and the universe had no real beginning.

Quote:
Evidence of events that happened before the Big Bang can be seen in the glow of microwave radiation that fills the Universe, scientists have asserted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11837869

Another nail in the coffin for the need of a prime mover.

These suppositions are highly speculative. How would they be verified empirically? Could they be falsified empirically?

ruveyn

Adam_Raki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

Hi,

You have to take a look at the work of Sir Roger Penrose (Oxford, UK). No need quantum mechanics machinery, just based on the Weyl Curvature and conformal geometry which is more fondamental than the metric one needed in Einstein General Relativity.
This is in a sense "classical", no need quantum gravity to treat the big bang problem.
I admire Roger Penrose for several years!

Experiments could be done by observing at the CMB. And more precisely, looking for some circle patterns in it. These circles could come from gravitational radiation emitted in an previous universe, existing before the big bang of our present Universe.
Penrose calls these various Universe (previous one, future one, present one...): AEONs
These circles could be seen as the circles made by the raindrops on a puddle...

:)