I have some questions about hair loss and medicine.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm

I feel like I'm losing my hair, it keeps getting thinner and it feels like I'm losing it at the sides. Is there anyone here that has tried any medication for that?(I assume there is) Apparently propecia is pretty good?
Also what are the chances of it not working or making something worse, like if you're not actually losing any hair but you're not sure?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm

kruger4 wrote:
I feel like I'm losing my hair, it keeps getting thinner and it feels like I'm losing it at the sides. Is there anyone here that has tried any medication for that?(I assume there is) Apparently propecia is pretty good?
Also what are the chances of it not working or making something worse, like if you're not actually losing any hair but you're not sure?

it seems sort of unusual to lose it at the sides. maybe see adoctor first to rule out any other medical issues - could be thyroid, hormonal, pituitary, kidney etc.... keep a close eye on your body hair too, as it can be a sign of other issues.

also, if you take other meds they can sometimes cause hair loss. i take blood pressure meds and my hair started to fall out at a higher dosage.

anyway, i think i saw a study that said Propecia and Rogaine were the only real effective remedies for hair loss.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm

And by sides I mean the temples actually.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 12:06 am

I have a friend who started losing his hair around your age. He's tried a lot of products, but none of them have worked and now he just shaves his head. I'm not sure if he tried Propecia, but I know he tried Rogaine. I think he waited a couple of years before trying said products, though, and maybe that reduces efficacy. The temples do seem an odd place to start losing one's hair. I'd second the advice of seeing a doctor. Even if it's just ordinary hair loss, a doctor should be able to recommend the best course of action for you.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 9:56 am

Why do you keep telling me it's odd to lose hair there? Pretty much everyone who has hair loss their temples seem to get bigger.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2010, 11:23 am

This sounds quite normal. Men with the genes for male pattern baldness, which is a good majority of men, will start losing hair around 18 years of of age, although they may not notice it/acknowledge it until their mid-20's or even later. The rate of hair loss varies from individual to individual. Often times, the first noticable change is a receeding hairline, or hair receeding at the temples.

I know Rogaine is for treating this type of hair loss, and I know it work pretty well for general hair loss, if used regualrly over a period of months,. But its not a permanant fix and I do not know how well it works on the temple regions specifically.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 11:59 am

Well the one I'm most interested in is propecia, it seems to be the best, at least from what I've seen on the internet. What I'm afraid of though are the side effects, how bad can it get? Also where exactly in Europe should I buy it?

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 8:13 pm

I'm going bald but I don't really care. Can't help it, it's natural. imo accepting it is the way to go.

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2010, 6:32 pm

I have tried propecia, and it really works. It can even slightly reverse hair loss as long as the follicles aren't too damaged.
Only side-effect I would say is a slightly reduced libido.
Unfortunately, to save money, I stopped taking it for five years, and now there seems like little point starting again.

austinbate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2017, 2:02 am

Hair loss is common in case of men and women. It is normal if you are losing few hair (4 to 5 strands) within a day. But if you are losing your hair more than 5 strands in a day. Then it might be a serious problem. And you have to concern from your doctor about hair loss. They suggest you best treatment regarding hair loss. I think you have to follow your doctors instruction carefully rather than propecia.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2017, 4:58 am

I started losing my hair in my mid 20s. I didn't care about it rite away but did after a while. I tried alot of things for it. Pretty much all the products mostly just help you maintain the hair you have instead of growing new hair thou new hair growth is possible if you recently lost it. Rogaine is the only approved topical formulation available & it's available without a prescription. You likely won't experience side-effects while on it except maybe alittle tingling or something. Finsateride which is the generic for Propecia & Proscar is the only med approved for male-pattern baldness & requires a prescription. Finasteride works by preventing testosterone from converting into DHT. It potentially has some hormonal side-effects since it affects testosterone. The dose of Finasteride which was approved for MPB was 1mg which is 1/5th the full strength of Finasteride(5mg is the full). What my doc did is when he 1st prescribed it is what alot of docs do which is prescribe the 5mg & tell you to cut it into 4ths. The script was written as 30 1/4th tabs & the pharmacy gave me 30 5mg pills so I've been taking the full strength. When I moved & switched docs I told them I was taking the 5mg strength which was true so I'm still getting the full strength. I would suggest reading up on the potential side-effects of Finasteride & asking your doc for the full strength if your not that concerned about side-effects. I haven't really noticed any side-effects but I'm taking other meds that can affect my testosterone & actually like having it lower. Finasterside & Rogaine work better together. You can also try using Nizoral shampoo. It's an antidandruff shampoo but might have a slight effect on lowering DHT that's on your head. There shouldn't be much side-effects. There's more extreme things you can try but they're more risky & not approved for MPB so there's no point in trying them until you tired the other methods I've mentioned a while & then do alot of research. I wish you the best of luck with it kruger

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 5:36 am

I don't know about this medication, never even heard of it...but I'm still willing to bet the farm that it's a scam.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 7:04 am

IvyMike wrote:
I'm going bald but I don't really care. Can't help it, it's natural. imo accepting it is the way to go.

This.
I first started noting hair loss at age 26, I'm 61 now and still losing it... but still some left. I think hair loss products are a way of extracting cash from anxious guys.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2017, 1:45 pm

Trueno wrote:
IvyMike wrote:

This.
I first started noting hair loss at age 26, I'm 61 now and still losing it... but still some left. I think hair loss products are a way of extracting cash from anxious guys.
I've lurked in a forum for hair loss & Finasteride & Rogaine have really helped some people keep or regrow some hair. Rogaine didn't really help me thou but I think Finasteride along with the other meds I'm taking is slowing the hair loss down.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Umesh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2017, 3:02 am

If you are suffering from propecia. Then you must concerned from a dermatologist. He find the best reason of hair loss and suggest you best treatment for your hairs. And you must follow all prescription suggested by your dermatologist.