Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LovelyLoner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2010, 3:33 pm

Do they exist, are they legit, how do I get one? I quit my job and now I really just want to work from home, I'm done with people unless I have no other alternatives since I get too overwhelmed and depressed. There are no amusement parks in my area or anything even remotely "fun" so I'm pretty much screwed in applying for something I will actually look forward to and enjoy doing every day for the rest of my pretty pointless life. Can anoyone list some? Help?

Last edited by LovelyLoner on 28 Nov 2010, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 3:48 pm

I like trading stocks. It can be insanely technical which I enjoy observing.

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2010, 3:58 pm

If you want a real work at home job, I think you need to make one yourself (start a business).

I would advise starting with something that interests you with very little risk...you probably won't make any money on your first few tries, but its a great way to learn skills that are valuable whether you end up working for yourself or find a better way of working for an employer. If you can demonstrate entrepreneurial skills more independent jobs may also open up for you.

The best way to replace an income with your own business is usually a service industry job. Those will be limited if you want to avoid people, but if you are skilled with computers you could try web design, data retrieval, etc.. If you're not skilled with computers I would try learning, as that is another set of skills that is nearly always valuable.

jonrpatrick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2010, 8:27 pm

There are hundreds or thousands of ways to earn legitimate incomes from home.
Unfortunately, those who push either scam companies or are scam artists themselves ruin it for everyone.
Rule of thumb - if it costs money as a 'sign up' fee, or they make you buy a bunch of product, RUN AWAY!
Other opportunities, like in Personal Franchising, may require you to make a personal commitment - but there is no FEE to represent the company, and the monthly requirement is like $30. This is always for a product, not just a 'fee'
These jobs represent a real opportunity to make income from home - but you have to treat is seriously and like WORK. There is no get rich quick.

BluePuppy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2010, 10:17 am

I don't know what you're background is, but if you're really detail-oriented, you can try proofreading (lowest rung of the publishing ladder, though, and pays accordingly). If you have good "text-sense" you could develop yourself into a freelance sub-editor (briefly, that's an editor who works with copy to make sure it's grammatically and factually correct and suits the requirements of a given publication – not the overall Editor who actually manages the admin and people-wrangling).

However, it might be different in other countries, but in mine (South Africa) you may have to start out working in an office to get some cred before you'll find people willing to hire you steadily on a freelance basis.

Just a warning that to make the big money in publishing or media you either need a huge workload, a lot of prestige or to be in management, but you shouldn't starve. I do it cos I love it myself :D

Don't even think about journalism. Dealing with people is practically all they do.