Have you read 'Doctor Who in A.E.A.W.T Daleks?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2010, 7:23 am

Just wondering if any of you have read this wonderful book? (or heard the fantasic reading by William Russuel himself?) Anyway this is perhaps my fave 'Doctor Who' book of all time!

As I've found an article on Wkki I hope you can forgive me for using it to help discribe the book.

Originally published in 1964 as Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks and later retitled Doctor Who and the Daleks and Doctor Who - The Daleks, this novel by David Whitaker was the first Doctor Who novelisation, and indeed the first Doctor Who novel of any kind. When republished by Target Books in 1973, along with two other mid-60s novelisations, strong sales resulted in Target launching its extensive series of novelisations.

Novelisation Edit■This novelisation is based on the original television serial generally referred to as DW: The Daleks which included individual episode titles and was shown from 21st December 1963 and written by Terry Nation.
■This novel established the practice, later followed for a time by Target Books, of assigning titles to novelisations that differed from the broadcast teleplays (although the title assigned to this story, The Daleks, is included as part of the book's original title).
■Internal illustrations were by Arnold Schwartzman.
■The 1965 paperback edition by Armada was the first Doctor Who paperback release. This edition uses the variant title Dr. Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks and is one of the only Doctor Who book releases to use the technically incorrect "Dr. Who" name abbreviation.
■The 1967 edition by Avon Books was the first American edition of a Doctor Who book, predating a later series of American novelisation editions by nearly a decade.
Publisher's summary Edit1965 Armada edition Edit
The story from the beginning! Here is the exciting adventure of Dr. Who, Susan, Barbara, Ian, from the moment they meet one foggy autumn night on a lonely common beside a Police Box (Ah, but what a curious Police Box!) to the time they encounter the weird Daleks.

It is a thrilling story, and we know this book will be one of the most popular published in the Armada series. Can you wait any longer? Start reading!

1967 Avon edition Edit
THE DALEKS HAVE ARRIVED

Free...free... He thought when he woke in the strange machine that had whisked him away from despair on Earth. But the flight through space had ended and he and the hollow-eyed girl he found by his side were strangling in the poisoned air they swallowed with every breath. And around them lay a world in ashes controlled by a hidden city of monstrous machines.

To sleep on earth... and awaken to interplanetary horror!

1973 Target edition Edit
This is DOCTOR WHO's first exciting adventure – with the DALEKS! Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright travel with the mysterious DOCTOR WHO and his grand-daughter, Susan, to the planet of Skaro in the space-time machine, Tardis. There they strive to save the peace-loving Thals from the evil intentions of the hideous DALEKS. Can they succeed? And what is more important, will they ever again see their native Earth?

Chapter titles Edit1.A Meeting on the Common
2.Prisoners in Space
3.The Dead Planet
4.The Power of the Daleks
5.Escape into Danger
6.The Will to Survive
7.The Lake of Mutations
8.The Last Despairing Try
9.The End of the Power
10.A New Life
Deviations from televised story Edit■The opening deviates greatly in that Ian and Barbara have never met each other, let alone the Doctor or Susan prior to the events of the story, thereby ignoring the events of An Unearthly Child. The novelisation of An Unearthly Child would not be published until 1981.
■Barbara believes the Doctor regarding the TARDIS' dimensions (Ian still doesn't).
■Susan is being personally tutored by Barbara.
■A Dalek is discribed as having some emotion, at one point, in its voice.
■Susan Foreman is referred to by the name "Susan English".
■The book is told in first person by Ian.
■A Dalek leader inside a transparent casing appears. An actual Glass Dalek appeared in the television story Revelation of the Daleks.
Writing and publishing notes Edit■Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks came out before any Doctor Who-based book, fiction or nonfiction. It was first published in hardback by Frederick Muller Ltd on 12th November 1964 at a price of 12s 6d. It quickly sold out of the first 20,000 copies and was reprinted in December 1964. The name Doctor Who appeared very prominently on the first printing, with the rest of the title more of an afterthought.
■Since there was no conception that there would be so many more Doctor Who stories adapted, this first book has no continuity with An Unearthly Child (which would be adapted into novel form years later as Doctor Who and An Unearthly Child); the 1973 Target Books edition directly refers to it as the Doctor's first adventure. Even after An Unearthly Child was adapted, future editions of Whitaker's book made no attempt to explain the discrepancy. Target Books writer John Peel would later publish I Am the Doctor: The Unauthorised Diaries of a Timelord in which he suggests that the novel is in fact a manuscript written by Barbara after her return to Earth (as seen in DW: The Chase) with certain details changed.
■A paperback edition was issued on 4th October 1965 by May Fair Books Ltd, under the "Armada Paperbacks for Boys & Girls" imprint (priced 2s 6d). This version did not use Schwartzman's artwork, instead having a cover and 6 illustrations by Peter Archer. This was the first Doctor Who novel to be published in paperback.
■It was then reprinted as the first title in the new range of Doctor Who novelisations planned by Target Books. It was published 2nd May 1973 as Doctor Who and the Daleks with the subtitle "Based on the popular BBC television serial".
■The hardback edition illustrations were retained.
■Chris Achilleos reused Ron Turner's Dalek artwork on his cover. The Daleks were from TV21: The Rogue Planet and the title graphic of The Dalek Chronicles from TV21: Legacy of Yesteryear onward.[1]
■Several different colour variants were used for the cover of the original Muller edition.

I have a 1973 'Target' copy (along with many of the others) of the book along with the CD version (I perticly like Willaim Russels first Doctor/Mr Crowman) which came in a tin with two other tales.

Anyway, I've got to go now as the Daleks are coming, and I'm desprate for a fag!! !

Goodbye Till Next Time

P.S. Don't worry about the last part as I was only joking, as I don't smoke! But I think there's just been a car crash on Barns Common I've really got to find a Police Box!!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 8:03 am

Yes, I have. Pretty good, if a little old fashioned in the writing.

On sabbatical...

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2010, 11:04 am

Quatermass wrote:
Yes, I have. Pretty good, if a little old fashioned in the writing.

Thought you would have!

One question though what do you mean by "a little old fashioned in the writing"? (as if that's a bad thing) although granted the book may be a little heavy going for most kids today and te fact that Ian smokes, which he really should have done on TV, as it would have been fine back then, (even the Doctor was seen smoking in 100,000 BC) and I'm sure kids would have been used to it as well, and perhaps a few of the comments with regards to the female charcters are a little unPC now (although I really liked the way Susan was portayed as that should have been the way she was on TV as well) but I think it stands up really well anyways, if not as a kids book, but perhaps as a young adults SF novel?

And anyway this book was 'told' from the propective of a 1960's male, and so thus it only makes the book seem more 'real'.

Please do not think that I'm trying to start an argument, but I was rather hoping that you'd share more of your views on the book.

I'll have to go now and as it's getting dark (in my time zone) I'll have to use one of the everlasting maches that the old man down the road gave me...

Goodbye Till Next Time.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 6:43 pm

I mean old fashioned. The opening reads almost like the opening of A Study in Scarlet, and while that isn't quite a bad thing, and certainly puts a little more flesh on the bones of Ian's character, I'm not quite enamored of it. The writing style is fairly dry, making it less of an 'exciting adventure with the Daleks'.

That being said, David Whitaker, I heard, really put the meat on the bones of the original Dalek story when it was being made (he was the original script editor for Doctor Who). He knows how to write character well.

On sabbatical...