LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 9:45 am

Here's to all of you who think Apple has no future:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-new ... ck_check=1

Experts are also predicting a good holiday season for Apple:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/ ... season.ars

I think it's pretty impressive how Apple managed to go from a dying company in 2000 to one of the most successful companies in the tech industry in 2010. For now it seems that Apple > Microsoft. Sorry, M$ fanboys. :P

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2010, 1:48 pm

I never thought that Apple had no future, but their products still suck.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 6:28 pm

lxuser wrote:

They make good products. You can make some argument that they are overpriced, but there's very little to back up the claim that Macs suck.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2010, 7:14 pm

Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

They make good products. You can make some argument that they are overpriced, but there's very little to back up the claim that Macs suck.

Not speaking about Macs here. Speaking about iPhones and iPods. They are over priced, they aren't durable and you have to use proprietary software to sync which is bloated and buggy.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

i love the products but they could be so much more with more open architectures. for me it is about mac os x and usability.

I think linux has huge potential but i'm happy with os x for now

I am slightly worried about the upcoming mac store and how it could reduce incentive for apps that would not get accepted. Having said that, I rarely buy software. open source stuff is usually perfect.

It is hugely impressive how apple have came back. in my mind they were the first ones to make computers cool and also used the ipod to bolster their brand.

It seems like most of their success is due to brand image and marketing.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 8:26 pm

conan wrote:
in my mind [Apple] were the first ones to make computers cool

Indeed. Apple made the first commercially successful GUI system for the end user market (I think it was called the Macintosh 128K), and they were putting their Apple || computers in homes and schools long before Micro$oft even had MS-DOS. I like Apple because it actually innovates, rather than just shoving unoriginal run-of-the-mill products down people's throats like M$.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
conan wrote:
in my mind [Apple] were the first ones to make computers cool

Indeed. Apple made the first commercially successful GUI system for the end user market (I think it was called the Macintosh 128K), and they were putting their Apple || computers in homes and schools long before Micro$oft even had MS-DOS. I like Apple because it actually innovates, rather than just shoving unoriginal run-of-the-mill products down people's throats like M$.

M$ is filling some kind of a need,, otherwise they would not be as succe$$ful as they are.

In the market what counts is NOT what is best, but what sells the best.

ruveyn

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 12:25 am

lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Not speaking about Macs here. Speaking about iPhones and iPods. They are over priced, they aren't durable and you have to use proprietary software to sync which is bloated and buggy.

I take it you never used a BlackBerry or Palm OS(not WebOS) device before.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2010, 1:32 am

nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Nope, why?

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 2:46 am

lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Nope, why?

An iPhone will seem like paradise when you deal with an BlackBerry or an Palm Treo of either Palm OS or Windows Mobile 5 flavors. The BB takes forever to start up because the BlackBerry OS is built off Java and it has to go through several security checks during bootup. It's basically a Java VM more or less. And their desktop client sucks - the BlackBerry was designed to operate in a corporate environment attached to a Microsoft Exchange/Lotus Notes/Novell Groupwise server via a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to support its push mail/calendars, corporate integration and remote admin/wipe capabilities. Although the Curve and Pearl started to loosen the BlackBerry monopoly in the corporate world, and the Torch running BB OS 6 finally updates the platform to be more friendly to the common consumer, but not as much as it should.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2010, 3:02 am

nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Nope, why?

An iPhone will seem like paradise when you deal with an BlackBerry or an Palm Treo of either Palm OS or Windows Mobile 5 flavors. The BB takes forever to start up because the BlackBerry OS is built off Java and it has to go through several security checks during bootup. It's basically a Java VM more or less. And their desktop client sucks - the BlackBerry was designed to operate in a corporate environment attached to a Microsoft Exchange/Lotus Notes/Novell Groupwise server via a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to support its push mail/calendars, corporate integration and remote admin/wipe capabilities. Although the Curve and Pearl started to loosen the BlackBerry monopoly in the corporate world, and the Torch running BB OS 6 finally updates the platform to be more friendly to the common consumer, but not as much as it should.

Beats me, I have a Garmin-Asus Nüvifone A50 which runs Android. I am all for open standards and openly documented hardware.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 3:14 am

lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Nope, why?

Beats me, I have a Garmin-Asus Nüvifone A50 which runs Android. I am all for open standards and openly documented hardware.

Too bad you can't freely install different Android builds on any 'droid.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2010, 3:41 am

nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
nthach wrote:
lxuser wrote:
Orwell wrote:
lxuser wrote:

Nope, why?

Too bad you can't freely install different Android builds on any 'droid.

Too bad it kicks the iPhone in the arse.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 12:16 pm

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

I think it's pretty impressive how Apple managed to go from a dying company in 2000 to one of the most successful companies in the tech industry in 2010. For now it seems that Apple > Microsoft. Sorry, M$ fanboys. :P

Steve Jobs is a genius. 'Nuff said.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 1:01 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
LordoftheMonkeys wrote:

Steve Jobs is a genius. 'Nuff said.

He's Big Brother :(
Soon we won't be able to do anything or publish anything without his approbation. Only under Apple app licence anything could be shared, after Apple would have cannibalized everything. If your too poor to buy they're products and they're contents? Then you could always look at the wall...

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2010, 1:12 pm

Tollorin wrote:
He's Big Brother :(
Soon we won't be able to do anything or publish anything without his approbation.

Rubbish. The App Store is overly restrictive, yes, but it's not like iPhones censor your messages (unlike a certain Microsoft Zune HD). If you want a less restrictive app environment, jailbreak or buy something running Android.