Inviting yourself into others conversations...

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Jamie8675309
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2010, 6:08 pm

I've been doing it a bit more recently s im kinda trying to get to know people as this is my first year in a local college where i have no core group fo freinds like i did in school. Id do this when people i don't know too well start talking about subjects that i can "contribute" to i'd e.g.today outside a classroom waiting for class to start a girl was talking to another girl about jobs, mentioning that a bingo hall were looking for people, since i had an interview there last week for a job, i stated this and asked if they've made up there minds about who to hire.

I thought it was ok to do so cause i was pretty close to them.Although i felt a bit like i was intruding on their convo even though it was a fairly inpersonal topic. Is there an appropriate way to go about this activity, like can i just go ahead and say something after they seem to have finished talking, or should i say "hope u don't mind me interupting but [discuss topic]..."? although i think the reason it feels akward is cause i kinda panic and don't really add to what i said when someone's responded and just go "oh right" or something, then it ends there. Or mabye this isn't the best way to try and introduce yourself to other people.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 1:35 pm

Jamie8675309 wrote:
Is there an appropriate way to go about this activity, like can i just go ahead and say something after they seem to have finished talking, or should i say "hope u don't mind me interupting but [discuss topic]..."?

I do think that it's a good idea to excuse yourself when entering a conversation like that.

Quote:
although i think the reason it feels akward is cause i kinda panic and don't really add to what i said when someone's responded and just go "oh right" or something, then it ends there. Or mabye this isn't the best way to try and introduce yourself to other people.

The subsequent problem seems like a problem of sustaining social contact, not initiating. Sounds like you struggle to improvise when someone says something. I guess practice can help. I always seem to be able to think of a response, but I can't really say how. Maybe I'll think of something.

Teaching yourself not to panic would help. I often get a surge of adrenaline when I talk to people. Sounds daft, but it's true. The feeling can be there, but I don't let it get in the way. Getting better equipped and getting more confident kinda make a good feedback loop; one feeds the other.