Is NASA about to announce the discovery of extraterrestrial

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 9:43 am

NASA is bringing together a geologist, an oceanographer, a biologist, and an ecologist for a press conference on Thursday to talk about an astrobiology discovery that "will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life." Yeah, this could be major.

Blogger Jason Kottke did some inspired sleuthing regarding what Thursday's press conference might be about. He discovered the expertises of the various people involved include the interaction of geology and life on alien planets (specifically Mars), photosynthesis using arsenic, Saturn's moon Titan as an early Earth environment, and the chemistry of life, including in places without carbon, water, or oxygen.

Taking that all together and combined with the current blitz of news from NASA's Cassini probe around Saturn, Kottke guesses the announcement might have something to do with the discovery of arsenic on Titan and, quite possibly, some primitive bacterial form of life using it for photosynthesis.

Considering NASA's claim that this will impact our search for alien life, I'd have to figure this has something to do with expanding the definition of "life as we know it", suggesting more elements than we previously thought possible can be used as the raw materials for life. All this, of course, is just speculation - we'll be listening in to the press conference on Thursday and have the news for you as it breaks.

http://io9.com/5702433/is-nasa-about-to ... trial-life

---------------------------------------

What would this mean to you if we actually have found some form of life?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 10:10 am

"Considering NASA's claim that this will impact our search for alien life, I'd have to figure this has something to do with expanding the definition of "life as we know it", suggesting more elements than we previously thought possible can be used as the raw materials for life."

Which if true would be a pile more useful and interesting than just finding an asteroid with fossil trilobites or bluegreen algae on Ganymede.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 2:03 pm

I'm not sure. My guess is that the discovery they're about to release probably has more to do with Kepler findings of other Earth-like planets. It would be interesting if they found life on Titan though. Titan was always one of the bodies in the solar system most speculated to have life on it, other than Mars.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 2:08 pm

Jono wrote:
I'm not sure. My guess is that the discovery they're about to release probably has more to do with Kepler findings of other Earth-like planets.

That sounds plausible. Right now we do not have the technology for detecting Little Green Men.

ruveyn

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

that's why i opened this topic with a slightly different angle on "life as we know it" yesterday... ;-)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts144654-highlight.html

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 3:30 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
that's why i opened this topic with a slightly different angle on "life as we know it" yesterday... ;-)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts144654-highlight.html

I thought it was related to older news about Titan potentially supporting life. Sorry.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2010, 3:35 pm

it's okay. no sorry needed!

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2010, 11:25 pm

I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that there was a kind of bacteria that existed on other planets. What would really affect my universe is if they discovered intelligent life.

Watch Doctor Who!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:08 am

ChrisVulcan wrote:
I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that there was a kind of bacteria that existed on other planets. What would really affect my universe is if they discovered intelligent life.

What would shake me up is the discovery of intelligent life on Earth.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:18 am

Sand wrote:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 3:20 am

With the use of satellite astronomical equipment interstellar equipment has improved tremendously and there is indication from Wikileaks that a rather cloudy planet has been discovered and there are hints of humanlike creatures there with wings. And in the same solar system a planet not unlike Venus has been discovered where living humanlike creatures are being tortured. It's only a rumor, of course.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 3:38 am

skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:

so long. and thanks for all the fish...

@ others: about intelligent life elsewhere...

if it is somewhat acceptable that bacterial life could exist elsewhere... than time + evolution will probably do the rest...

on earth it life had to "restart" several times after epic catastrophes... and ultimately evolve in to humans.

given that time is around in unlimited quantities in our universe... and the likelihood of life elsewhere seems to rise... well...

and BTW... in other news: the number of stars in the universe just tripled...

if intelligent life (comparable or superior to humans) evolved elsewhere, it could also be evolving on a world where life is not as we know it... thus not fitting in our image... or even the image of any god.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 9:04 am

There is no reason whatsoever to think that there is no intelligent life out there. You would need to be a religious type and assume that we are god's only creation, or something like that. The problem is finding them and it could pretty much be that the closest planet with intelligent life is so far apart that its light has not even reached us yet...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:45 am

Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you, but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. [NOS—In Dutch]

Mono Lake photography by Sathish J — Creative Commons

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:58 am

skafather84 wrote:
Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn't share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn't been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don't know about you, but I've not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. [NOS—In Dutch]

Mono Lake photography by Sathish J — Creative Commons

I heard of that today. It would be even better if they found something like that on a body other than Earth. But at least it opens up possibilities. If that is possible then perhaps some of the even more exotic hypothetical forms of life, such as silicon based life, are possible as well.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 2:20 pm

Lol, I was just about to post on this - heard Felisa on the radio. This is definitely profound, makes me wonder if we may be within a decade of identifying microbes on other planets.