Do you get car-sick, sea-sick, etc.? (Poll)

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you suffer motion sickness?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 75 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 120

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2010, 4:46 am

Do you suffer from motion sickness of any kind? For instance, do you get sick if you read in a moving vehicle, sit in the back seat of a car, or in the back of a bus, or anywhere on a boat, or a plane, or on wild amusement park rides, etc.?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:35 am

Nope.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 6:58 am

only when i'm a passenger.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 6:59 am

i don't even need to read (but if i try to that ensures it). on winding roads if someone else drives i have a hard time. i can't carpool.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2010, 7:23 am

I get quite carsick if I try to read and I refuse to go on any amusement rides because my stomach has made it perfectly clear that it's not impressed by them. I can also get quite motion sick on small planes in turbulence.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 7:52 am

My vestibular sense seems to be very sensitive -- I always get seasick on boats, and sometimes in tall buildings on windy days. (I also seem to be able to detect earthquakes 10-20 seconds before anyone else notices). And, sometimes I get motion sickness from standing (since I tend to sway a bit), which is really annoying. Also can't read in a car without getting a headache.

OTOH, I never (except for reading) get sick in cars or airplanes. It seems to require certain windows of frequency and amplitude.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 8:10 am

Atlantic crossings [one on a fairly small ship] say I am a good sailor.

Used to get carsick until i learned not to keep my eyes inboard.

Forget rollercoasters, but that is more noise and speed.

Unlike Number 1 Son, I always disliked spinning vertigo.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 8:48 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I also seem to be able to detect earthquakes 10-20 seconds before anyone else notices

Me too! I wonder if it is related. I never got motion sickness until a few years ago, when I suddenly started getting it quite severely and practically all the time. Then it passed and now I experience it only rarely.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2010, 10:08 am

I get motion sickness very easy. When I take my son to the park I can't even sit on the swings to relax. I had an inner ear infection a few years back and I think that made it even worse. Oddly enough, recently my wife, son and I got offered a short ride on a "Tall ship" (big old fashion sailing ship) and I did fine. ( I brought along the Antivert just in case) I noticed a little hint of it starting if I spent too much time below deck in the galley so I didn't spend much time down there.

drumchick34
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2010, 10:28 am

I had a horrible problem with getting car sick when I was younger and it frustrated my mom so much because they always had to find a place to stop for me. Its gotten a lot better but I still feel a little sick in cars.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:37 am

I voted no, but sometimes it does happen.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:00 am

No, only if I read in the car.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:27 pm

Yes, but only in the car or bus, because of fumes. I can't stand this smell.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2010, 12:33 pm

I answered no, but I can get queezy by power of suggestion; meaning that if others speak of being sick, or throw up where I can see/hear it, I will possibly do the same. But not from motion or being in vehicles/vessels alone. And I've been on some wild rides on boats, including the rather violent 2-hour voyage from Long Beach, CA to Catalina Island. And I've been on a small plane which got into horrible turbulence in a sudden storm that the pilot hadn't been warned of, and I've been on some really rough Jeep trips in the Rocky Mountains.

Charles

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 1:35 pm

I am prone to motion sickness. I can't read or watch movies on my iPod Nano in the car or swing on swings. I also get seasick. It's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I think it's at least partly because of my medication.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:13 am

Yes.

I also get motion sickness from certain videogames :x