Do you get car-sick, sea-sick, etc.? (Poll)

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you suffer motion sickness?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 75 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 120

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:13 am

Yes.

I also get motion sickness from certain videogames :x

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 8:19 am

Gravol was my best friend. I'm better in the car know, especially if I'm driving. If not, I still get it sometimes. What is interesting, is I don't recall getting car sick while I was on benzodiazepines. I also hate air planes.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 9:41 am

drumchick34 wrote:
I had a horrible problem with getting car sick when I was younger and it frustrated my mom so much because they always had to find a place to stop for me. Its gotten a lot better but I still feel a little sick in cars.

I used to have this problem as well. I read that it gets better after puberty, and it did, but even now I get carsick sometimes, and if I glance at some reading material even for a few seconds I get queasy.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2010, 11:55 am

I have never had motion sickness at all. in fact I love any kind of movement no matter if it's up and down, side to side, back and forth or round and round. I do feel a little gross when driving through mountain ranges but I think that might be altitude sickness.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2010, 1:20 am

only as a passenger in a backseat. And sometimes heights make me sick even though i am not afraid of them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 7:06 am

in the universal studios' B2TF ride, i had to look over the side of the vehicle, at the concrete floor, to quell the rising chyme in my stomach.

Cumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2010, 12:30 pm

No, I don't get motion-sick.

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm

Nope, I've never even been slightly motion sick.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

05 Dec 2010, 12:14 am

I do. Not only cars, boats, airplanes, but I cannot even swing (like on a playground swing) for more than a few minutes because I quickly get motion sickness.

Given that, it's strange that I like rocking back and forth. :?

Megz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:19 am

My car-sickness has gotten to where I feel sick, even if I'm driving, on any car ride longer than about 20 minutes. It might be a contributing factor that driving really stresses me out. I haven't been on an airplane since I was 3, and I haven't been on a boat since I was 10, but I don't ever remember getting sick from that. I've never had a problem with motion sickness on rollercoasters (I won't go on ones that go upside-down though), probably because they're not long enough to make me sick, although after a day at six-flags I usually have a headache but I blame that on overheating, dehydration, and lack of any sort of nutritional food. The thing that I have found to work best for motion sickness are sea-bands. They're fuzzy stretchy bracelets that have a little plastic nub that stimulates a pressure point on the inner wrist. I'm usually pretty picky about stuff touching my inner arms, but I don't notice the bands at all unless they are out of place. I lost mine, I need to buy new ones, but for me they completely eliminate any motion sickness symptoms.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:29 am

I do. It's not as bad as it was when I was a kid though.

I have to take Dramamine before going to the gym, or I will get sick from the treadmill or elliptical machine. Any long trip, I take my Dramamine with me. I don't get car sick too often these days, but it depends on the driver. Usually I drive myself, and it's not so bad that way. But sometimes if someone else is driving, I'll get car sick if they are driving crazy.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 3:25 am

I voted yes. But I never got motion-sick at all until I was 15 or 16, when I spent 9 months on a toxic level of a medication (measurably toxic, I think approximately twice the toxic level). Ever since then, I've gotten motion-sick. To make matters worse, I have visual issues that make the world appear to move around in ways that can now cause me nausea and only have since I was able to get motion-sick. This gets worse in unfamiliar locations where I have no mental map to focus on and the visual fragmentation is worse. I used to puke in really intense ways (as in, people said they'd never seen anyone do things like this who wasn't very drunk) whenever I got to a new location. I'm on nausea meds now, pretty much permanently.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2010, 9:23 am

I hate cars, trains, buses, and planes. I voted no because it's not motion sickness.

I get horrible headaches when I'm in any of those. My neck hurts the smells hurt my head. The smells make me want to scream. Loud people. It just all gives me a headache, I just want to scream sometimes and I used to when i was a child, but I'm older now and don't do that. Once I get off and into fresh quiet air, I'm fine.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 10:59 am

anbuend wrote:
I'm on nausea meds now, pretty much permanently.

That sounds awful =/

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:35 am

I do not know what changed, but until teenage I was a terrible traveller and got sick on any journey in any kind of vehicle. Now I am completely bomb-proof and have travelled in storms where every single passenger is throwing up, without the slightest sense of queasiness.

I do have an absolute terror of travel, especially air-travel, but I must have found some way of internalizing that terror because most people say that I am a very calm traveller. I know that the cabin crew recognize my inner panic because they signal the chief steward and ask if I need anything.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

Only on fairground rides. Oh, boy, do I go green! I'm all right on the water rides, and the rides like the Dodgems (bumper cars), and carousels, and ghost train rides, ect. But on spinning rides, or really fast rides - I'm not good at all. It makes me feel dizzy and light-headed when I get off. It depends with rollercoasters - sometimes I'm OK, but if I go on them too much I start getting a stiff neck from the pressure, which gives me headaches and bad nausea.

I'm OK in cars, but if I'm a passenger in a car at night time, I always feel a bit sick. I don't know why it's at night time. I think it's because I'm tired, or feel chilly (you know that feeling you get when it's late at night, you've been walking around all day, you feel hungry and tired, and the air has turned chilly, and you're all shaky but shivering from coldness at the same time, which makes you feel sick in an odd way. Or maybe I just get this feeling).

I don't feel sick at all when I'm on the bus, even if I sit at the back. This is because I get the bus every day, and the journey is roughly 35-40 minutes, and I enjoy the journey too. So I'm used to sitting on buses. Another reason why I don't get sick on buses is because the windows are wide, you can see out more, and the bus is wide and spacious, and doesn't smell of that same smell you get in cars, what triggers off nausea sometimes. (Not the buses in Essex anyway).

Lastly - palpitations make me feel a bit nauseas, but not in a way where I want to be sick. I can still eat with the nausea. But when I get palpitations (which is quite frequent, since I suffer from a lot of anxiety), my whole body shakes and I feel like a frail 90 year old, and sometimes the shaking confuses my brain, which gives me nausea.