Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 1:04 am

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
& @katzefrau, I'm pretty sure he's still autistic, just by his voice. Not 100%, but pretty sure.

he's obviously still autistic, as autism does not go away. (as are all the children i have seen in videos whose parents claim they are cured)

but think of the target audience for autism speaks: they tend to be parents who want a cure, and if they are trying to inform people about autism in the video they'd have done better (by me anyway) if he said directly that he was autistic (unambiguously, still) and he went on to speak positively about having autism.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:01 am

lau wrote:
A brief comment... all well and good, the clip itself sounds tolerably accurate - the problem is that it directs people towards the Autism Speaks website, which has nothing worth reading.

In fact the page it directs you to has, as its message:
Quote:
Autism Speaks U is a program designed for college students who host awareness, advocacy and fundraising events. It is an exciting and collaborative way for students to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, while supporting their local autism communities
where the section I have emboldened section shows exactly what Autism Speaks is all about.

I beg to differ, their information on autism treatment methods for children is pretty impartial, reasoned and pragmatic to my mind.
Summarised; not something you often find as many other sites will push a particular treatment.

guineapigirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2010, 5:00 pm

The beginning of the video reveals how little some people know about autism, even when they know someone with the disorder. I like that they had an autistic person define autism as a disorder, and not a disease. It's a small step in the right direction for Autsim Speaks.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 4:55 pm

Did anyone notice or wonder if those college students were corrected in their thought of what Autism is? After the first question, we don't get any definition - much less an accurate one - until the student with Autism is shown.
All we get to see is the college students' shock at a statistic. Where's the shock that their stereotypical viewpoint is wrong?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm

This video has made me hate Autism Speaks even more.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 10:01 am

Enough of the cynicism already! It's a good video, you'd all probably talk about how good it was if it was made by ASAN or something. Autism speaks got the right idea this time, they gave a neutral explanation without being all "doom and gloom" or the other extreme, because the other overly positive extreme is just is bad because it's unrealistic.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 1:22 pm

I cannot afford to support “Autism Speaks”, financially, morally nor as a card carrying member of the human race. With all the politics and deception in this world, (as if there is a difference) it’s crime of humanity as a whole that we have not totally condemned genocide.

The worms crawling through the loopholes of government funding, inevitably migrate towards the very core of their food source out of greed. The paths they bore are back filled with the resultant guilt. The tracks are covered and the once pure and natural existence they have destroyed is forever nonetheless altered.

Autism Speaks is the worm in the dunes of humanity living off the marketing and exploitation of children and autism. Their main course is under the guises of “for the good of the children”. The fact of the matter is, once you no longer qualify as a child, they can no longer use you for profit, thus fervently ignored. Unfortunately, this is a principle not so unique to Autism Speaks and has evolved into acceptance by society as whole.

Autism Speaks is the epitome of selling your soul, money is power and power corrupts.

Color me cynical for not believing that autism is the leading cause to all of the world's problems and Autism Speaks will thank you.

JohnnyCarcinogen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 4:09 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Enough of the cynicism already! It's a good video, you'd all probably talk about how good it was if it was made by ASAN or something. Autism speaks got the right idea this time, they gave a neutral explanation without being all "doom and gloom" or the other extreme, because the other overly positive extreme is just is bad because it's unrealistic.

Actually, I hold ASAN to the same standards. However, comparing the two is not all that easy, since Autism Speaks was started and initially funded by NBC's CEO - and ASAN was started by a person with autism who didn't have the massive capital to spend.

Also, Autism Speaks getting 'the right idea this time' in no way makes up for their so far endless demonizing campaigns of Autism. Their scare tactics and pursuit of a cure continue; actions speak louder than videos in this respect.