Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2010, 9:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlxiFnXsTI[/youtube]

Is it an early Christmas miracle or a sign of the end times?

Autism Speaks has actually made a respectful, helpful video aimed at college students. One condescending, "That's sad." The rest is really--- although it pains me to say it-- good.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 9:13 am

Can't watch this at the moment, I'll check it out later, but if it really is respectful then that's certainly a good sign.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 12:20 pm

I hope they keep up being more positive also in the future.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 3:41 pm

Wow, I'm in shock. I find it hard to believe these are the same guys who made the horrible Autism Every Day and I Am Autism videos. If they keep going like this, it will be fantastic.

I know people from Autism Speaks do read these forums, so keep it up, chaps, and we might even stop hating ya ;)

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2010, 5:26 pm

Yay, cynicism time!

First of all, same lies, different tone. While it never was mentioned that they weren't referring to the spectrum, in general knowledge of the populace, autism=LFA. I know it's longer, but for truth's sake, please maybe use "Someone is found to be on the autism spectrum every fifteen minutes"?

Second of all, while I do applaud them actually using an autistic person *gasp!* in their ads who said autism is not a disease *double gasp!*, the college students who said it was a disease probably were not shown the later part of the video, where the autistic guy said that, so they still believe that it is a disease or an LD (the LD part is definitely more accurate, but still not quite true). And the autistic guy still says it is a disorder, which most of us would dispute.

However, it is definitely a step in the right direction. I applaud them just for making a small step towards our dignity.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Dec 2010, 10:36 pm

It's a definite improvement, although I still don't trust Autism Speaks. It seems too much like BS.
Remember this?

Quote:
At Autism Speaks, our goal is to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders.

We are dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes,prevention, treatments, and cure for autism; to raising public awareness about autism and its effects on individuals, families, and society; and to bringing hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder. We are committed to raising the funds necessary to support these goals.

Autism Speaks aims to bring the autism community together as one strong voice to urge the government and private sector to listen to our concerns and take action to address this urgent global health crisis. It is our firm belief that, working together, we will find the missing pieces of the puzzle.

Autism Speaks. It's time to listen.

That's the autism speaks mission statement. I don't believe that the entire organization has changed since autism every day So autism speaks folks, if you do read these forums, remember that Nodice1996 won't ever stop hating you, M'kay?
Edit:
Grammar and Clarity

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 1:59 pm

Since people from Autism Speaks reads this forum, I just want to tell them that it's really, really weird when somebody who doesn't have autism in the first place talks about what autism is and what it's like to have it. Just because you claim to help autistic people or know someone with autism doesn't mean you know what it's like to have it. I read books on tape for dyslexic/blind people and I know dyslexic people IRL, but I have no idea what it's like to have dyslexia.

Autism Speaks should really be called "NT People Claiming To Speak For Autism."

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 4:39 pm

Quote:
And the autistic guy still says it is a disorder, which most of us would dispute.

I don't dispute this. I can understand why some people might, but they must be better adjusted to cope. I live in care, all the people I know live in care. All of us have some form of autism. All of us would agree that it is 1. a disability, as we cannot do the same things as others because of our autism and 2. a disorder, because none of us are like the other people, whether we like that or not.

It is blatantly obvious that autism speaks are trying to change their HORROR STORY message that has so commonly been associated with them. They are looking for a cure, I say good luck to them. If they can find one, they can spare at least one other person going through the terrible life I have had because of my autism. Although I am still not 100% sure of their intentions at this time, I am going to keep an eye out because I don't think they really are that bad.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:14 pm

well w/so many autistics they don't want to get lynched is my guess.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 6:28 pm

There are individuals with autism whom don't even know about autism. I had one individual ask me about 8 months ago is autism what he had. I said yes and that's what I have as well. I don't think as many people would dispute autism as being a disorder as you think. Maybe within social circles online and offline that influence each other to have that "opinion".

Here are two differing perspectives that can create understanding on the subject.

1. Autism is a disorder under the law and when it is not a disorder you do not qualify for services as you are to high functioning and are not in need. This is establishments way of determining qualification for services and treatments. The disorder should be ridden of for reasons of economic stability and quality of life as what is considered disordered is fundamentally something wrong with an individual.

2. In some cultures difference is often embraced and regardless of perceived inability to participate normally it is still yet a positive. This is a unique way of viewing, respecting and percieving differences. It's easy to adapt to this mind-frame but if for instance someone is in pain resulting from disorder it is not likely a compatible view. Wheras with autism those that are isolated and have difficulty taking care of themselves are considered more "disordered" or in another perspective more "different". Happyness is the ultimate form of quality of life regardless of difference and the economic obligations.

In conclusion my opinion of the mentality of cure is not substantially a hardship to the self-esteem nor disrespectful as it seeks to create improved quality of life. However the psychological well being of individuals in context should be respected and might even be considered a form of treatment. So the psychosocial treatment for autism when applicable is the respect and dignity to be perceived in positive ways. Treating someone as if they are a burden when they cannot help it is emotional abuse derived from an individual, group or by society as a whole. Instead embracing what is and going from there so as to adapt so as long as choice is intact is likely the wisest and most effective means in these time.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 6:12 pm

BroncosRtheBest wrote:
Yay, cynicism time!

First of all, same lies, different tone. While it never was mentioned that they weren't referring to the spectrum, in general knowledge of the populace, autism=LFA. I know it's longer, but for truth's sake, please maybe use "Someone is found to be on the autism spectrum every fifteen minutes"?

This.

Okay - so they have an autistic person who says some say it's not a disease, but a disorder.
And? What exactly should we be so happy about? Did they abandon their eugenics/cure goal?
No, they just use a different name to describe the same thing. Don't fall for that, please.
While some of us might use "disorder" to describe autism, we don't use it in the same way as they do. Not according to their declared mission.

I could never trust these guys.
Actually, this isn't good at all for us. Now that they try to look nicer to us, they are more dangerous.
It's the same old Autism Speaks, just in a new sugar-coated edition.
They are like racist politicians who claim they aren't racists, and trick anti-racist people into believing this lie. Then, they get to try and pass on racist laws - on the ground that it's supposedly not racist. Why? Because if they admit they are racist, they would have a hard time doing the exact same things.

Bottom line, what's important is their overall stand about autism - that it needs to be cured.
As for the rest of it - as Rage Against the Machine put it out, "Nothing proper about propaganda".
Autism Speaks has no "right of existence" as the organisation that they are, "NTs making money for saying they help those who don't seek help". They shouldn't be changed, they should be demolished. If we want another body instead of them, let's help the ones that already exist, and not these peope, whom again, we must not trust.

Don't let them fool you.
And if we want to explain what autism IS, it's better to search for another platform.
As we say in Hebrew, "the one who sleeps with dogs, shouldn't be surprised if he is covered with fleas in the next morning". We have no common goal or mission, so no reason to cooperate.
As a Jew, I wouldn't speak about my heritage in a Neo-Nazi convention who claims that "perhaps Jews are not that bad, let's hear them out", or "Jews in fact don't do everything Hitler said they do, let's figure out precisely why they/their culture must be wiped, and what exactly is wrong with it".

Last edited by Omerik on 09 Dec 2010, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2010, 6:28 pm

And, from the url they advertised in this video clip:

Quote:
Did you know...

More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
Autism costs the nation over $35 billion per year, a figure expected to significantly increase in the next decade

How flattering is that? Doesn't make us look in a very positive light. Makes us look as disabled people who cost money, and that we and everybody else would be better off without autism in this world.

Quote:
Together we will build awareness about autism and raise critical funds for the fight against this complex disorder.

NO THANKS.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 11:56 pm

It's only going to get worse - Autism Speaks is a pet project of NBC. Comcast is in the process of buying out NBC. Comcast is your typical greedy cable company but with a twist - media and LOTS of revenue. Comcast has LOTS of money in their warchest. Comcast will let Autism Speaks have access to it and their media channels.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 12:41 am

i wouldn't call that a miracle (it says nothing, really, except that there isn't much awareness; even the autistic person in the video says "i was diagnosed in childhood," which could imply that he's somehow been cured), but it's better than anything else i've seen from them.

at least the guy on the spectrum speaks for himself and is clearly an intelligent, sentient human being. his parents are not standing in front of him talking about how they want to drive off a cliff.

i'll give them half a star for that, out of a possible five.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 6:30 am

A brief comment... all well and good, the clip itself sounds tolerably accurate - the problem is that it directs people towards the Autism Speaks website, which has nothing worth reading.

In fact the page it directs you to has, as its message:

Quote:
Autism Speaks U is a program designed for college students who host awareness, advocacy and fundraising events. It is an exciting and collaborative way for students to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, while supporting their local autism communities
where the section I have emboldened section shows exactly what Autism Speaks is all about.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

lau wrote:
In fact the page it directs you to has, as its message:
Quote:
Autism Speaks U is a program designed for college students who host awareness, advocacy and fundraising events. It is an exciting and collaborative way for students to raise funds and awareness for Autism Speaks, while supporting their local autism communities
where the section I have emboldened section shows exactly what Autism Speaks is all about.

Not autism, just Autism Speaks. LOL

& @katzefrau, I'm pretty sure he's still autistic, just by his voice. Not 100%, but pretty sure.