Anyone else like to read science fiction?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Aug 2006, 5:33 am

I both read and write scifi and fantasy( and one day i might even get published :) )
I grew up reading books and have allways read alot of fiction, so i was bothered too by the 'doesn't read fiction' thing.
In fact i'm not so into detailed facts with precise numbers an dates and things but more with general bits of random knowledge.
As for books, i especially going to other worlds and so a do read an awful lot of SF and Fantasy, though i also like classic lit, dectective stuff ( i like the unravelling the puzzle of the murder mystery) and some romnance stuff ( i know...shame....shame!!)
One thing i don't read is modern lit or contempary classics, things like catch 22 or on the road. Don't know why, just never have. Actually i read 1984 recently, it was pretty good until the end when it all went a bit weird, too subtle for me i think.
I like: (sci fi) Dune, Polar City Blues by Kartherine Kerr, some philip k.dick, John Wyndham, Hitch Hikers Guide (i have all 5 books), the pern books and a few other bits and pieces.
(fantasy) Tolkien(obviously) Dragonlance, the Drizzt books, tad williams, Conan, etc.
(dark fantasy, horror, other) Clive barker, Tanith Lee, Laurell k. Hamilton, lovecraft, various short stories.
And i'm sure there are plenty more.

appassionata
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2006, 6:16 am

Hi Morphia

Good luck on getting your stories published.
Have you showcased any of your work on-line yet?

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 8:29 pm

Hell yeah, I love science. I've recently started reading Loop by Koji Suzuki. Its about a form of viral cancer thats mysteriously killing certain people, so far a good read.

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2006, 10:47 pm

Yeah I read Sci-Fi (as well as other stuff) some of my current favorite authors are Kage Baker, Neil Gaiman, James Allen Gardener, Terry Pratchett, and J. K. Roling(not sure those last two count as Sif-Fi).

I like a lot of other types of fiction as well, dystopias (I’m sure I spelled that wrong), retold fairytales, horror, regular fiction about people with lots of problems. Ok so I basically like all types of fiction if they are well written