Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:20 pm

Did you know that labeling someone as NT is an insult? I was lectured for a long time by Roger Myers when he heard me use the term at an Asperger's support group.
I thought that I was simply naming a reality, but Roger pointed out that nobody wants to be "typical". Well, okay, so what will be the term I should use? I should say Non-spectrum, which I guess would be NS.
So there you go. I shall use the new term now.

But I'm still surprised that neurotypical is an insult. I don't consider AS to be an insult. New things to learn everyday.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:26 pm

lelia wrote:
Did you know that labeling someone as NT is an insult? I was lectured for a long time by Roger Myers when he heard me use the term at an Asperger's support group.
I thought that I was simply naming a reality, but Roger pointed out that nobody wants to be "typical". Well, okay, so what will be the term I should use? I should say Non-spectrum, which I guess would be NS.
So there you go. I shall use the new term now.

But I'm still surprised that neurotypical is an insult. I don't consider AS to be an insult. New things to learn everyday.

We were both at that group when he told us about it. That was something new for me when he told us about it this past November. You meant that day right, not for years or months?

You can still say NT but only say "none spectrum" at his group and when you are around him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:28 pm

If anyone feels insulted for being deemed "typical", they have bigger problems than we do.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:29 pm

Is the man Neurotypical? Surely, he is stifling your free thought processes by dictating his stance on this term. That in itself is a form of abuse.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:32 pm

Craig28 wrote:
Is the man Neurotypical? Surely, he is stifling your free thought processes by dictating his stance on this term. That in itself is a form of abuse.

No, he is on the spectrum.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:36 pm

Roger Myers is definitely on the Spectrum, and he is going to let you know what he thinks.
This was.....maybe about two weeks ago? I don't mind being told what I am not aware of.

So which one are you League-Girl? I'm the deaf one wearing two hearing aids. I bring a friend of ours, Don to the meeting.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:44 pm

lelia wrote:
Roger Myers is definitely on the Spectrum, and he is going to let you know what he thinks.
This was.....maybe about two weeks ago? I don't mind being told what I am not aware of.

So which one are you League-Girl? I'm the deaf one wearing two hearing aids. I bring a friend of ours, Don to the meeting.

I was the one who he chewed out for "Interrupting." Remember that one? It happened right after he gave us all a lecture about the word NT. I can't remember if we were sitting at the same table. I was the one with glasses and a black purse and playing my Nintendo DSi XL.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:52 pm

Perhaps he said that because more and more people use NT as an insult (generalisation about their bad behaviour for example, or threads like : nt need a cure, it's not and insult in itself but some people are insulting).

I know that many people use Autistic as an insult, which is a shame, one should not use disorders as an insult.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 5:57 pm

Sounds like Roger is a bit full of himself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 6:01 pm

I would have liked to been a fly on the wall, at all the meetings that you went to, just to see what that guy is like.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 6:19 pm

In the 3rd page of the thread, "Myths of neurotypicals" ( http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf144740-0-30.html ), a person named. "Jono, wrote~

Quote:
"The term NT (neurotypical) was originally coined by the autistic community to refer to people who are not on the autism spectrum in order avoid using the word "normal". It was originally coined by Jim Sinclair of Autism Network International (ANI):

http://web.archive.org/web/200806060241 ... nguage.htm"

lelia wrote~
Quote:
I thought that I was simply naming a reality, but Roger pointed out that nobody wants to be "typical".

I swear I've come across professional works on the internet that used the terms. "typical", and also, "neurotypical". Possibly I am remembering wrong. Nonetheless, I am almost sure I've come across books written by professionals which used the term, "neurotypical".

I don't really care one way or the other for the term. I'm not into nt bashing either though.

People may or may not want to be "typical" but the autistic spectrum is a PDD, pervasive developmental disorder. It seems it would then have to be considered a 'disorder' from what is 'typical'.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 6:35 pm

Oh that's stupid. It's an insult in the same way that calling me "autistic" is an insult. That is, it can be in certain contexts, but it isn't an insult in itself.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 8:26 pm

League-Girl, we were back to back. For some reason, I thought you were knitting.

Roger has done a lot for us and a lot of work as well. I appreciate him. He stomps on us from time to time, but, eh, some of us he really needs to. Can you imagine what our meetings would be like without a firm hand? I tend to be loud and to monologue and need the reminder from time to time to shut up, only he says it more politely.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 10:22 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Oh that's stupid. It's an insult in the same way that calling me "autistic" is an insult. That is, it can be in certain contexts, but it isn't an insult in itself.

seconded, anything can be an insult if used as an insult that dose not dose not make the word itself and insult.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:01 pm

Holy crap you guys are from the portland area too? I will be meeting you next weekend if you go to the meeting! How cool is that? :)

Roger already let me in. ;)

I got a lecture by several of my friends for using the word, "normal" as well as "nt" I have no freak'n clue what to call non-ASD people anymore. :roll:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2010, 11:05 pm

if normal is an insult what dose it mean when some one says "be cool, just act normal" (just the best example i could thing of, some one just said it in a movie im watching)