Does Sensory Overload do This? Do You Get it??

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2010, 1:31 am

Does sensory overload ever cause anyone to have migraines? I've suffered from migraines for years. When I was in elementary school, I used to report to nurse all the time because I had migraines [in which she always told me, "You're as cool as a cucumber!"].

I'm beginning to think that my migraines may be caused by my sensory overloads -- strong scents, strong light, loud noises, etc. Or it could be completely unrelated.

Does anyone else experience the same thing...?

shibashaba
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Dec 2010, 1:51 am

Stress can cause migraines, so maybe. It could also be something missing from your diet. Dehydration can cause it too.

I used to get migrains a lot when I was a little kid. I would take a towel, soak in as hot as water as I could stand and then lay down with the towel wrapped around my head. I would also try to stay as calm as possible. It really helped a lot. I haven't gotten them much at all since I've been an adult, I don't ever even really get headaches now.

turkey87953
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2010, 1:51 am

Yes, all the time but more like just a bad headache then a migraine .

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2010, 1:58 am

I had terrible migraines in third grade. They were always in math, which was my last class of the day. I sincerely believe (due to my love of math) that they were actually caused by overstimulation and lighting and such.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Dec 2010, 2:09 am

I get migraines when a storm comes in, but other than that no.
I know a woman whom my molican cockatoo parrot gave her a hell of a migrane with his screeching, so it can be caused by sensory overload. Btw, we dont have that parrot anymore cause he just got where he screeched all the time which caused me to decompensate. I have a smal parrot now that just screeches in the morning wanting breakfast, after that, all is good, usualy. But it is hell to wake up around here in the morning with 90db screeches before my eyes are not even open. Mom likes birds for some crazy reason, I am just the zookeeper :roll:

jamiethesilent
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2010, 2:25 am

I just go rally shaky and find it hard to breath.

- Cruch Bang Linux.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

03 Dec 2010, 2:58 am

It does it to me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 1:02 am

There's evidence that people with migraines experience heightened senses in general, so it's not surprising that sensory overload can cause migraines. It certainly does for me. And migraines heighten sensitivity so they can cause sensory overload.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 4:06 am

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:

Does sensory overload ever cause anyone to have migraines? I've suffered from migraines for years. When I was in elementary school, I used to report to nurse all the time because I had migraines [in which she always told me, "You're as cool as a cucumber!"].

I'm beginning to think that my migraines may be caused by my sensory overloads -- strong scents, strong light, loud noises, etc. Or it could be completely unrelated.

Does anyone else experience the same thing...?

Yes, one of the causes of my migraines is sensory overload. Of course, the sensory issue gets worse with a migraine... :? I used to have meltdowns and less migraines but when I was a child my migraines were mostly abdominals so we did not know about them.

I think it's not unusual.