Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Its unfortunate that its even a topic for discussion. We waste our time and I believe spend way too much of it chasing shadows in this area.

Agreed. I can only assume the intentions of the original poster are good, but I don't really see much constructive coming out of this - I could be wrong, of course. Read Wikipedia some more instead, and trace the sources if you want to study it.

Last edited by Hector on 04 Dec 2010, 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:27 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Its unfortunate that its even a topic for discussion. We waste our time and I believe spend way too much of it chasing shadows in this area.

It seems like a complex topic and maybe some are afriad. That's why I am interested. Participation is optional. Putting ones foot in their mouth might embarrass others?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:36 pm

ci, I'll explain my own viewpoint a bit more - victimhood is bad. Bad things generally happen to all of us, those who make the world a better place are the same people who light a candle instead of cursing the darkness. I wouldn't suggest your doing so with this thread at all, I just think that when people dwell on racism or sexism constantly it distorts their sense of reality and how they see other people. Its never to say something doesn't exist, just that when people think about it too much they see perhaps come to see ten false positives per every one that's accurate.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
ci, I'll explain my own viewpoint a bit more - victimhood is bad. Bad things generally happen to all of us, those who make the world a better place are the same people who light a candle instead of cursing the darkness. I wouldn't suggest your doing so with this thread at all, I just think that when people dwell on racism or sexism constantly it distorts their sense of reality and how they see other people. Its never to say something doesn't exist, just that when people think about it too much they see perhaps come to see ten false positives per every one that's accurate.

Yeah I would agree. Racism and the damage thereof was and is very unfortunate. Ignorance is of bliss or is of intent. When the intent is there the mainstream public in this day and age denounces it. The damage of racism and sexism might be felt when it is seen where it is not as these "evils" are hidden in the mind and the majority of the damage of them stem from the past. Can they ever truly be defeated entirely? Just the same as disability stigma and the attitudes against those with disabilities. I always try and believe people are nice and in this day and age should someone not be then others will handle it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:55 pm

I think we have the right intent and are trying to move forward but, we're still too crazy to get it right. We swing from one violent extrema to another.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 10:59 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think we have the right intent and are trying to move forward but, we're still too crazy to get it right. We swing from one violent extrema to another.

Was it the word "evil". Replace "evil" with boogie man or injustice.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:13 pm

ci wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Was it the word "evil". Replace "evil" with boogie man or injustice.

Lol, no, I was referencing 'we' as western culture. We've done it with this issue, we've done it with all kinds of things.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 11:15 pm

I think that it is a good thing because social evolution takes place in free societies.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:28 am

theWanderer wrote:
I simply find it stupid, like any other prejudice. Yes, either sex can find examples of the opposite sex who have all sorts of shortcomings - but they are individuals. Seeing someone as a member of a group - except possibly forming some opinion of them because of a group they voluntarily joined - rather than as an individual has several side effects. It limits your understanding of the world around you, and it marks you out as bigoted and stupid. Yes, we all slip sometimes, but the important point is to recognise when you've been stupid. And sexism is as stupid as racism or any other type of bigotry.

Thank you!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:33 am

Sexism is expecting a woman to act, look and dress like a woman, and identify with the female gender, just because she has a vagina.

Mick Avory

ci
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 1:01 pm

I like the part of the social evolution about making the love not war.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeWqb6AhhwY[/youtube]

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 9:13 am

As people with a disability, we should rightly see sexism as indefensible. I mean, prejudice based on gender is just like prejudice against us because of disability would be, how would we like that?

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:39 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sexism is expecting a woman to act, look and dress like a woman, and identify with the female gender, just because she has a vagina.

Mick Avory

Thank you!

I do identify as a member of the female gender, at least most of the time. But I hate being expected to play the role of 'weak one who needs help' and having the assumption made that I am mostly interested in emotions, relationships, and babies.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 1:04 pm

There is the common and the uncommon. To assume something all the time would be irrational at least sometimes.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

06 Dec 2010, 2:23 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

Mick Avory

THIS.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 3:33 pm

Bethie wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Mick Avory

THIS.

Sexism is expecting a male to act, behave and be engrossed in stereotypical thoughts of the male gender, because he has a penis.

Seems we have discovered some common ground.