Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2006, 12:34 am

People have always tried to explained to me about god, but what god is, never...they just keep on telling me about the bible, or tell me some more abstract words.

People say they believe in god. What is god?

emp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:01 am

God is a mythological entity created by man.

Many people will try to tell you that God created man. However there is no evidence of that, and there is an abundance of evidence for the opposite: Man created God.

Last edited by emp on 18 Jun 2006, 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:08 am

I think he wanted Christians to tell him what their own beliefs are.

Not for an Athiest to come in and share a viewpoint that he is already aware of.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:09 am

I am not an atheist. I am a most-likeliest . I believe what is most likely to be true, keeping in mind that this might change as new evidence, information, etc is obtained.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:17 am

God is something in peoples mind.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:54 pm

emp wrote:
I am not an atheist. I am a most-likeliest . I believe what is most likely to be true, keeping in mind that this might change as new evidence, information, etc is obtained.

I have the same position. I like to call it "non-theist" because agnostic insinuates that you're undecisive.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2006, 2:31 pm

'God' is a word that intelligent people use to explain things beyond human understanding, and less intelligent people use to explain things beyond their personal understanding.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 4:30 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
emp wrote:

I have the same position. I like to call it "non-theist" because agnostic insinuates that you're undecisive.

<devil's advocate>But you are. If you can't decide what you believe about a God, what can you decide you believe about anything? Belief or disbeelief in God has big implacations, ones that affect everything</devil's advocate>

Hrm... I like Devil's advocate tags. I need to use them more...

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 5:56 pm

Heh, I am so undecisive but I firmly know what I believe - I believe that God has a name, Jehovah, and that he created man and woman with the purpose to "become many and fill the earth, and subdue it." I believe that he therefore is our heavenly Father and that he is to be worshipped, and that he is "a God exacting exclusive devotion" (ie we should worship only Jehovah.) Um ... he is amazingly loving, righteous, compassionate, forgiving, merciful ... perfect, in other words, with supreme standards. He is (I believe) our Universal Sovereign (because he created the Universe and everything in it) and that we need to reply to Satan's challenge of Jehovah's authority (Genesis 3:1-5) by conforming to Jehovah's righteous standards (or rather, trying our best to.) And I'm going off on a tangent ...

I know I quoted the Bible. That's because I believe it is Jehovah's Word. The parts of the Scriptures that could potentially have been proven/disproven have been proven, so I have no reason to doubt what it says. And anyway, it all makes sense to me when I study what it contains.

But you'll always get different answers from people because many people have differing (often conflicting) views about who/what God is. It all comes down to faith - whether you have it or not, and if you do, then in what exactly you do have faith.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 2:39 pm

Barracuda wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:
emp wrote:

<devil's advocate>But you are. If you can't decide what you believe about a God, what can you decide you believe about anything? Belief or disbeelief in God has big implacations, ones that affect everything</devil's advocate>

Hrm... I like Devil's advocate tags. I need to use them more...

You are commiting an "either or" fallicy here. I'm absolutely certian that the "god" question is scientificaly unanswerable.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2006, 5:09 pm

I make my mind up as evidence comes along.

1)God exists
2)God is omni-benovelent
3)God is omni-scient
4)God is omni-potent
5)Evil (naturual disasters) exist.

By the very nature of the universe, one of these must be false, which is it?
((btw,imho, if you read the bible carefully enough, you'll find it's 1)just plain rubbish or 2)It leads to some objectionable conclusions but that's btp.))
All in all, maybe God does exist, maybe He doesn't but it's not the traditional one.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 6:01 pm

Iammeandnooneelse wrote:

1)God exists
2)God is omni-benovelent
3)God is omni-scient
4)God is omni-potent

((btw,imho, if you read the bible carefully enough, you'll find it's 1)just plain rubbish or 2)It leads to some objectionable conclusions but that's btp.))
All in all, maybe God does exist, maybe He doesn't but it's not the traditional one.

What I am about to say is blasphmy in the eyes of many. To them I say: screw you.
The thing is, God doesn't actually need to be 2-4. He just needs to be Pretty Damn Close(TM)

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 6:55 pm

Barracuda wrote:
Iammeandnooneelse wrote:

1)God exists
2)God is omni-benovelent
3)God is omni-scient
4)God is omni-potent

What I am about to say is blasphmy in the eyes of many. To them I say: screw you.
The thing is, God doesn't actually need to be 2-4. He just needs to be Pretty Damn Close(TM)

Then what's the point of worshiping some a$$hole who's obviously an imposter??

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 7:48 pm

DSid you even read what I said? Pretty Damn Close=almost but not quite=can still wipe you from existance with the snap of a finger analoge.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 3:12 am

When someone talks about God around me, I tend to envision this cloud with a mouth and eyes high in the sky looking over every one. Why? I don't know. It's just that it's supposed to be this superhuman person invented by religious zealots.

I wonder what the Pope would say if asked, "What does God look like?"

Honestly, though, why do people believe in such things? I guess people will believe in anything to fit in, like there was a cult whom believed that peace was to be found riding on the tail of a comet. All those people committed suicide to do so. I think that religious people are very confused people, and they are incapable of thinking for themselves, so they need to commit themselves to some sort of doctrine dictating what is to be moral and what is to be not.

Jesse Ventura once spoke the truth.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 3:15 am

Also ... just for a matter of extra thought ...

God is an image defined by the mind of the person who says it, nothing less and nothing more. There is no universal God.

We, as aspies, are rational creatures. I would have to question true aspieness for those who believe in God.

- Ray M -