Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Dec 2010, 5:23 am

People outside Australia might not realise the Martin Bryant mass murder of 35 people is universally understood as an evil thing here. It's kind of a go to incident. Now his mother is selling a book.

I know the Asperger's diagnosis was disputed in one official report I read. It's frustrating that the same label gets used for Martin Bryant (IQ 66) as many other completely different people.

Note that the massacre happened in 1996 just two years after DSM diagnosis was created. So I kind of suspect it was diagnosis of the day.

How do I explain this to people to correct misconceptions?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/killers-mum-has-regrets-but-she-still-loves-him-20101204-18kqf.html

auntyjack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2010, 6:12 am

At the time, the question of Aspergers was raised but strongly disputed by his psychiatrist who wrote an article about his reasons for that. I have not seen anything official about the dx, only a statement from his mother. I am not going to buy or read the book to find out more because my bf's life and the lives of many others are in tatters due to the massacre. The trauma of that day has not diminished for many.

psychobabbler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

I [quote]know the Asperger's diagnosis was disputed in one official report I read. It's frustrating that the same label gets used for Martin Bryant (IQ 66) as many other completely different people.
How do I explain this to people to correct misconceptions?[/quote]

Perhaps address the IQ issue directly:
An IQ (measurement of cognitive ability) of 66 indicates lack of cognitive development.

According to the DSM IV, In Asperger's Syndrome, there is "no clinically significant delay in cognitive development.... Also, it seems well recognized that in order to qualify as an AS person, one must have an average or above average IQ.