Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 2:23 pm

Hey,

Anyone else into dark neo-classical groups, a la Dark Sanctuary, Elend, Azam Ali, etc.? What're your favorites?

JDM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2006, 2:42 pm

Elend is very cool.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2006, 5:15 pm

Do you consider "Dead Can Dance" & "Dargaard" dark neo-classical?

They're one of my favorites.

Last edited by Lurker_Extraordinaire on 19 Jun 2006, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricCR99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2006, 5:22 pm

I just bought two neo-classical death metal albums that I like very much. Necrophagist from Germany and a UK band called Dragonforce. Dragonforce has lots of neo-classical metal guitar but isn't so much death metal. Both bands are very good.

Since XM satalite radio brought back their #42 Liquid Metal station, I've been learning about and enjoying all kinds of death metal bands. Some of the artists I like are Protest the Hero, Arch Eneny, Shadows Fall, and of course Opeth! I've been listening to Opeth for a while.

Some other new Artist I like are Shadow Gallery, Nightwish, and the bands with Alexi Laiho...Children of Bodom and Sinergy.

I've been a long time Rush and Dream Theater fan before the power of the internet and satalite radio introduce me to these new genres of music.

-E

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 11:36 pm

Lurker_Extraordinaire wrote:
Do you consider "Dead Can Dance" & "Dargaard" dark neo-classical?

They're one of my favorites.

Certainly. I just listened to Dargaard, I really like them.

EricCR99 wrote:
I just bought two neo-classical death metal albums that I like very much. Necrophagist from Germany and a UK band called Dragonforce. Dragonforce has lots of neo-classical metal guitar but isn't so much death metal. Both bands are very good.

Since XM satalite radio brought back their #42 Liquid Metal station, I've been learning about and enjoying all kinds of death metal bands. Some of the artists I like are Protest the Hero, Arch Eneny, Shadows Fall, and of course Opeth! I've been listening to Opeth for a while.

Some other new Artist I like are Shadow Gallery, Nightwish, and the bands with Alexi Laiho...Children of Bodom and Sinergy.

I've been a long time Rush and Dream Theater fan before the power of the internet and satalite radio introduce me to these new genres of music.

-E

Those're metal, though...that's different, even if it has neo-classical elements involved. I'd like death metal if I didn't hate the singing style so much.

EricCR99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2006, 4:36 am

yeah I was confusing the gerne, but I'll have to give those artists a try too.

-E

PathoftheImmortals
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2006, 12:48 pm

I'd have a hard time classifying Dead Can Dance as strictly neo-classical as they seem to take a lot more eastern folk elements and world-music aspects than most other bands classified in this category.

Extreme right-wing/fascist views aside I'd say the best neo-classical/ambient album I've heard to date is Burzum's "Hlidskjalf" as this album seems to perfectly capture the spirit of Nordic romanticism and works perfectly as the soundtrack to the Norse legends printed down within the booklet inlay. ("Daudi Baldrs" is good too but gets a little repetitive at times)

Other good stuff as said before is Dark Sanctuary, Autumn Tears, (later)Thou Shalt Suffer, Mortiis' "The Stargate" album (again more into the 'ambient' category perhaps).

I'm also into lots of neo-folk (Death In June, Sol Invictus, Blood Axis etc)

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2006, 2:03 am

I checked an Azam Ali album out of my university library one time and was bored to death by it, although I like Vas. Vas bring Longfellow's "The Reaper and the Flowers" to life like nothing I've ever heard. Corvus Corax are pretty neat (and plenty dark), although they're less classical and more folk.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2006, 10:56 am

PathoftheImmortals wrote:
I'd have a hard time classifying Dead Can Dance as strictly neo-classical as they seem to take a lot more eastern folk elements and world-music aspects than most other bands classified in this category.

I tend to agree.
I mainly listen to their earlier gothic-ish stuff from "within the realm of a dying sun", "spleen and Ideal", "Serpents egg"

I forgot forgot to metion that in my first post. :oops:

I don't care much for allot of their eastern influenced stuff... and I see how that would through it out of the neo-classical genre.

Last edited by Lurker_Extraordinaire on 24 Jun 2006, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 2:33 am

Elend ... yes.

Also, Mortiis ...

I've heard of Dark Sanctuary, but never heard them. The other band you mentioned I have never heard of.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 2:37 am

Veresae wrote:
Certainly. I just listened to Dargaard, I really like them.

What about My Dying Bride? Used to be a death metal band, but nowadays they're much different.

Ever heard of the Hybryds? Hafler Trio? Zoviet France? Brian Eno? Etc ...

- Ray M -

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 2:57 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
Also, Mortiis ...

Mortiis, neoclassical? Now there's a stretch. Nonetheless, Scar Trek/Parasite God is a pretty cool song.

PathoftheImmortals
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2006, 5:09 pm

666 wrote:
Aeturnus wrote:
Also, Mortiis ...

Mortiis, neoclassical? Now there's a stretch. Nonetheless, Scar Trek/Parasite God is a pretty cool song.

Mortiis totally changed directions with the last 2 albums (the last 2 being crappy NIN-like industrial). Everything before those two is usually considered either 'ambient' or 'neo-classical'. Check out "The Stargate" particularly and you'll see what I mean.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 11:14 pm

PathoftheImmortals wrote:
Extreme right-wing/fascist views aside I'd say the best neo-classical/ambient album I've heard to date is Burzum's "Hlidskjalf" as this album seems to perfectly capture the spirit of Nordic romanticism and works perfectly as the soundtrack to the Norse legends printed down within the booklet inlay. ("Daudi Baldrs" is good too but gets a little repetitive at times)

Other good stuff as said before is Dark Sanctuary, Autumn Tears, (later)Thou Shalt Suffer, Mortiis' "The Stargate" album (again more into the 'ambient' category perhaps).

I'm also into lots of neo-folk (Death In June, Sol Invictus, Blood Axis etc)

I like Autumn Tears. Haven't been able to find any stuff by Thou Shalt Suffer (though, I just stream stuff with MySpace--oddly it gets more than you might think), and all the Mortiis stuff I've found is just their newer electronica stuff. Not too into neo-folk for some reason.

Aeturnus wrote:
What about My Dying Bride? Used to be a death metal band, but nowadays they're much different.

Ever heard of the Hybryds? Hafler Trio? Zoviet France? Brian Eno? Etc ...

Haven't been able to find Hybrids or Hafler Trio. The last two = not my thing. Interesting style though. For My Dying Bride, again, I've only been able to find their death metal songs. Heh.

666 wrote:
I checked an Azam Ali album out of my university library one time and was bored to death by it, although I like Vas. Vas bring Longfellow's "The Reaper and the Flowers" to life like nothing I've ever heard. Corvus Corax are pretty neat (and plenty dark), although they're less classical and more folk.

I'd never heard of Vas before this, thanks for the head up...cool stuff.

Another one I like sometimes is Arcana, though not all of Arcana's stuff is neo-classical. There's also some "post-hardcore" band by that name, don't get confused.

jonnyeol
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2006, 5:49 pm

Dark neo-classical. Anyone else heard of The Protagonist? It's pompous neo-classical bombast, but in a GOOD way!

jonnyeol
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2006, 5:52 pm

666 wrote:

I had the pleasure of seeing Corvux Corax play a classical/medieval adaptation of the Carmina Burana texts (under the name Cantus Buranus) at Wave-Gotik Treffen this year. It's also out on CD, but I'm currently seeking the limited version that they'd sold out of. My review of the event is here:

http://www.eraseronline.com/liverevdisp ... iveRev=143