Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 5:50 pm

Clyde wrote:
I can't work at some place like that because then I failed them. I became what he doesn't want.

There is no failure in working at a menial job if that's the only job you can get. If your parents regard that as failure, then they are the ones who should be ashamed of themselves.

Clyde wrote:
Worse was I dressed for a first impression, wore my nice shirt, style my hair a bit. Looked all professional. And while I was turning in my app. I see students walking in with the same app, wearing a halter tank top and a mini skirt. And guys wearing ghetto clothes.

See you'd say who cares, but the job if you read the application and if you were hired it said that people should wear business attire. Girls in pencil skirts with a blouse. And guys in button shirts and pants.

So, that's why that miffed me. Because one of those students, the one who wore ghetto clothes, thinks he's cool. And the girl who dresses like a skank, got the job.

Perhaps while they didn't have your nice suit, they proved that they were willing to work by having done the menial jobs you wouldn't do.

Perhaps while they didn't have your styled hair, they gave answers in the interviews that suggested they would do a better job than you would.

I'm trying to take a sympathetic view on your situation here, but every time you post something, you come across as self important, elitist and expecting privileged treatment. If that's how you come across in an interview, don't expect to be getting a job any time soon.

Another thing to consider. Apparently you have parents who can help support you during this bad economy. A lot of people are not so lucky. Maybe some people who are in a position to hire others may want to give the jobs to the people who don't have a support system to fall back on. Maybe this means that someone who isn't as qualified might get the job. Maybe this is unfair. But I'd rather see the person who really needs the help and is willing to work hard get the job. Maybe that's why they will build a successful career while you will waste your time complaining that no body is giving you the job you think you deserve.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2010, 6:40 pm

jagatai wrote:

Perhaps while they didn't have your nice suit, they proved that they were willing to work by having done the menial jobs you wouldn't do.

Perhaps while they didn't have your styled hair, they gave answers in the interviews that suggested they would do a better job than you would.

I'm trying to take a sympathetic view on your situation here, but every time you post something, you come across as self important, elitist and expecting privileged treatment. If that's how you come across in an interview, don't expect to be getting a job any time soon.

Another thing to consider. Apparently you have parents who can help support you during this bad economy. A lot of people are not so lucky. Maybe some people who are in a position to hire others may want to give the jobs to the people who don't have a support system to fall back on. Maybe this means that someone who isn't as qualified might get the job. Maybe this is unfair. But I'd rather see the person who really needs the help and is willing to work hard get the job. Maybe that's why they will build a successful career while you will waste your time complaining that no body is giving you the job you think you deserve.

Well I was never called to be interviewed by the people. Just...I know those kids. It was a program only for my school. And all them in some way are popular, mean spirited kids. Kids I do not think deserve a job just because they have a lower income then I do.

Because these are the kids who sit in class and talk about going to Dan's party. While I'm trying to pay attention in class. Yes, maybe some of what I am saying sounds a bit bitter, a bit angry. And a bit like a grudge. But in school they never proved themselves. They just ignored the teacher. They were the mean kids.

I hate how they can easily get into a job. A job I wanted. A job I was looking for. A job that I'd put one hundred focus in. Just like school.

Why should the people who don't take life seriously? Get rewarded.

I always got the high grades, always did well in testing. But none of the teachers, none of them ever put me in any of the honors grades. I was the quiet shy kid.

And when I did struggle in school, the teachers knew I was smart, knew I was capable. Why didn't they think I was struggling because I needed more of a challenge?

I put so much focus into everything. 100% the effort. I do what I can. And I don't get acknowledged for it.

So yes, you're right I am looking for privileges, I am looking at in maybe an elitist way.

But I always feel like I'm no one....

Only special people get the things I want.

Only the kids who kiss ass.

I fight on the ground and get nowhere instead burying all the holes. If I got a job that wasn't fast food, it prove...it prove that I can actually accomplish something.

I want to be someone. I want to accomplish something. I want...to have the nice things.

But I always always have to go through the garbage can before I can get those nice things. There are those kids who walk through the front door and just get it.

I've always been the one who has to work through dirt before anything. I know I wouldn't appreciate it much if everyone just gave me something, but it be nice to feel like people can accept the individual I am.

That at least I can come through a back door and not the junkyard then to the back door.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:02 pm

Get some muscles, lose your fear, and become a construction worker/miner/oil rigger/iron worker etc. This is what I did. I'm 27, I own a house/car, and am sitting on $100,000.00 in savings... not to mention I'm single with no kids. My plan is to do this for a few more years, then retire early.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 6:38 am

Clyde wrote:
Well I was never called to be interviewed by the people. Just...I know those kids. It was a program only for my school. And all them in some way are popular, mean spirited kids. Kids I do not think deserve a job just because they have a lower income then I do.

Because these are the kids who sit in class and talk about going to Dan's party. While I'm trying to pay attention in class. Yes, maybe some of what I am saying sounds a bit bitter, a bit angry. And a bit like a grudge. But in school they never proved themselves. They just ignored the teacher. They were the mean kids.

I hate how they can easily get into a job. A job I wanted. A job I was looking for. A job that I'd put one hundred focus in. Just like school.

Why should the people who don't take life seriously? Get rewarded.

I always got the high grades, always did well in testing. But none of the teachers, none of them ever put me in any of the honors grades. I was the quiet shy kid.

And when I did struggle in school, the teachers knew I was smart, knew I was capable. Why didn't they think I was struggling because I needed more of a challenge?

I put so much focus into everything. 100% the effort. I do what I can. And I don't get acknowledged for it.

So yes, you're right I am looking for privileges, I am looking at in maybe an elitist way.

But I always feel like I'm no one....

Only special people get the things I want.

Only the kids who kiss ass.

I fight on the ground and get nowhere instead burying all the holes. If I got a job that wasn't fast food, it prove...it prove that I can actually accomplish something.

I want to be someone. I want to accomplish something. I want...to have the nice things.

But I always always have to go through the garbage can before I can get those nice things. There are those kids who walk through the front door and just get it.

I've always been the one who has to work through dirt before anything. I know I wouldn't appreciate it much if everyone just gave me something, but it be nice to feel like people can accept the individual I am.

That at least I can come through a back door and not the junkyard then to the back door.

To be honest, you sound just like some guys do in Love & Dating, the ones that get alot of stick from others for moaning, etc. I've defended it in L&D as I believe this is the kind of site that should allow people to get things off their chest but you seemed to be looking for advice - and then not taking any of it!

I had similar thoughts when I was looking for work (more extreme actually, I only wanted office work) but I had a CV which showed I had intelligence but also that I would work - I'd worked for a florist whilst also doing a paper-round during my school days so mentioned this within my personal statement and included references and had decent predicted (only got my GCSE results after getting a job) grades. It was also in 2000 so the financial climate was much better than now.

I managed to get a job quickly but I knew from the begining that if I didn't I'd have to widen the net to include things like shops and take-aways. You can't dig your heels in just because you feel people less deserving are getting ahead.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 2:23 pm

This will be my last response to this thread.

1. I suspect you are basically a decent guy who is honestly looking for a bit of help here. But I think you are also afraid of facing some things that you really need to face if you are to progress beyond your current problem.

2. Ideally this forum should provide a place where you can pose questions and get answers without necessarily getting attacked. But you have to do your part. If everybody is telling you that you are attacking the problem in the wrong way you might do well to listen to them. They may not be correct, but there is a good chance that there is at least some useful truths in what they say.

3. Don't make broad generalizations about your peers. They may indeed be undeserving of a job or they may deserve it more than you. Simply because they behave in a manner that you do not approve of does not mean that they are not working hard when you are not looking.

4. Don't put other people down so you can feel better about yourself. That doesn't make you a better person. In fact, it allows you to make less of an effort. But if you recognize that other people have their merits and you still rise above them, only then to you really become a better person.

5. Do not demand that the world change to fit your idea of how it should work. You can't force the world to change. The only thing you can do is to change yourself. You can't change everything about yourself, but you can change some things. You can ask people for honest responses about how you come across and you can try to come across better. You can work at being more understanding of others and more compassionate. You may find that by doing so others will be happier to help you out.

6. Fight the bitterness in yourself. It is a poison that hurts you more than anyone else.

You are young and because of that, you get a bit of slack. No one is perfect, and at your age (I assume you are in your mid to late teens) no one expects you to have a fully mature approach to life. But you are getting to a point where your youth isn't going to help you. People will treat you as an adult and expect you to take responsibility like an adult. Right now, judging by your posts, you are not taking the responsibility that you need to.

You write about how you were raise with high expectations. But you do not seem to behave that way. You sound as if you do not want to take any responsibility for how people respond to you. Of course it is harder for someone with Aspergers Syndrome to cope smoothly with the rest of society, but you are not powerless to control your own behavior. You can be a better person and that will, in turn change how others respond to you.

I don't expect what I write here to be taken happily. You may look for all the reasons why I am wrong. You might even find some significant errors in how I see your situation. But don't assume that one error invalidates the whole argument. I am trying to be very direct here because I think it is what you need right now. If I didn't think you could handle it, I would be a lot more gentle. But if you don't make some serious changes to how you behave in the world, you risk wasting a lot of time and causing yourself a great deal of frustration.

You are clearly smart enough to accomplish significant things in your life. I hope that you can quickly get beyond the behavior that is causing you these problems. Be a better person and better things will follow.

Good luck,

Lars

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2010, 2:51 pm

jagatai wrote:
This will be my last response to this thread.

1. I suspect you are basically a decent guy who is honestly looking for a bit of help here. But I think you are also afraid of facing some things that you really need to face if you are to progress beyond your current problem.

2. Ideally this forum should provide a place where you can pose questions and get answers without necessarily getting attacked. But you have to do your part. If everybody is telling you that you are attacking the problem in the wrong way you might do well to listen to them. They may not be correct, but there is a good chance that there is at least some useful truths in what they say.

3. Don't make broad generalizations about your peers. They may indeed be undeserving of a job or they may deserve it more than you. Simply because they behave in a manner that you do not approve of does not mean that they are not working hard when you are not looking.

4. Don't put other people down so you can feel better about yourself. That doesn't make you a better person. In fact, it allows you to make less of an effort. But if you recognize that other people have their merits and you still rise above them, only then to you really become a better person.

5. Do not demand that the world change to fit your idea of how it should work. You can't force the world to change. The only thing you can do is to change yourself. You can't change everything about yourself, but you can change some things. You can ask people for honest responses about how you come across and you can try to come across better. You can work at being more understanding of others and more compassionate. You may find that by doing so others will be happier to help you out.

6. Fight the bitterness in yourself. It is a poison that hurts you more than anyone else.

You are young and because of that, you get a bit of slack. No one is perfect, and at your age (I assume you are in your mid to late teens) no one expects you to have a fully mature approach to life. But you are getting to a point where your youth isn't going to help you. People will treat you as an adult and expect you to take responsibility like an adult. Right now, judging by your posts, you are not taking the responsibility that you need to.

You write about how you were raise with high expectations. But you do not seem to behave that way. You sound as if you do not want to take any responsibility for how people respond to you. Of course it is harder for someone with Aspergers Syndrome to cope smoothly with the rest of society, but you are not powerless to control your own behavior. You can be a better person and that will, in turn change how others respond to you.

I don't expect what I write here to be taken happily. You may look for all the reasons why I am wrong. You might even find some significant errors in how I see your situation. But don't assume that one error invalidates the whole argument. I am trying to be very direct here because I think it is what you need right now. If I didn't think you could handle it, I would be a lot more gentle. But if you don't make some serious changes to how you behave in the world, you risk wasting a lot of time and causing yourself a great deal of frustration.

You are clearly smart enough to accomplish significant things in your life. I hope that you can quickly get beyond the behavior that is causing you these problems. Be a better person and better things will follow.

Good luck,

Lars

I know this. I want to do this.

I just don't know how....I feel overwhelmed by it all.

"Bam you're adult now, college, etc."

Everything is changing and I feel so unprepared.

It isn't the same thing when you have your pens and papers, it just feel like its happening all of the sudden.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 1:42 pm

Clyde wrote:
I know this. I want to do this.

I just don't know how....I feel overwhelmed by it all.

"Bam you're adult now, college, etc."

Everything is changing and I feel so unprepared.

It isn't the same thing when you have your pens and papers, it just feel like its happening all of the sudden.

Good man, this is the real problem now revealed! That's pretty much how it goes for most I believe but NT's can handle it much better from what I see.

If you're feeling overwhelmed then I think you're looking at everything as a whole which will definitely be daunting. Try tackling one thing at a time, maybe mentally prioritise the thing you need to sort and tick them off one by one.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 7:11 pm

Clyde wrote:
I hate it. In this economy people are either making due with the employees they have or hiring whomever they want. I have no job experience and I need a job. I need to start building for my future. I cannot get any work experience if I don't have a job. Its like a catch 22, no experience, no job, but no job no experience.
I'm tired of it. Everywhere I have to deal with incompetent no jobs. Kohls calls my home phone, while I'm out for school. They never called my cellphone, I didn't even get a missed message. I call back to see why they called, they were doing interviews on the day I called and they passed they were at like 8:40 in the morning. It would have been nice for them to leave a voice mail. I got home so late I didn't have time to call back that very day. Its utter b.s. I signed up for Macy's, but won't get the job because I can't complete their questionare because they are asking for social security. You do not give social security until you're hired. Unless you're guaranteed to get hired, they have no right knowing my social security. All the online job applications require a social security, which is ret*d.

How the f**k am I suppose to get a job, when business do not know how to design online job applications? When no one picks the person who is just in college, needs financial support to make it in life? When no one picks the person who needs experience to get into a job?

I'll work at places like Outback, but nowhere super fast foody. I just. I can't do this any more. I want to blow up all business jobs and start over. Where people who actually have skill experience or no experience actually get a job. Not Stacy Smiles a Lot.

1) Quit whining, the world doesn't care about you.
2) GEt your AS medically diagnosed
3)What's your education level?
4)What are you good at doing? Can you fix computers?
5)Are you skinny or fat?
6)Being Sally Smiles a lot is how you play the game.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:59 pm

Clyde,

Listen up! I know what I am talking about.

Find a few companies that you would like to work for.
Learn everything you can about their company and what they do.

Find out the name of the "big boss" and make an appointment to see him in person.

Tell him you want to work for him and that you will be an asset to his company.

He will hire you on the spot. I can almost guarantee this unless you come over as a total idiot.

"Big bosses" are ALWAYS desperate to hire good motivated people.

I have done this with success with really BIG companies.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:44 am

jagatai wrote:
Clyde wrote:
I can't work at some place like that because then I failed them. I became what he doesn't want.

There is no failure in working at a menial job if that's the only job you can get. If your parents regard that as failure, then they are the ones who should be ashamed of themselves.

Clyde wrote:
Worse was I dressed for a first impression, wore my nice shirt, style my hair a bit. Looked all professional. And while I was turning in my app. I see students walking in with the same app, wearing a halter tank top and a mini skirt. And guys wearing ghetto clothes.

See you'd say who cares, but the job if you read the application and if you were hired it said that people should wear business attire. Girls in pencil skirts with a blouse. And guys in button shirts and pants.

So, that's why that miffed me. Because one of those students, the one who wore ghetto clothes, thinks he's cool. And the girl who dresses like a skank, got the job.

The girl tarted it up because you might as well use the best/only asset you have.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:48 am

Clyde wrote:
Moog wrote:
Sure, if there's one near you, write to them. Co-incidentally, I had an interview at an animal sanctuary just last month.

I really meant that there's probably organizations that hook volunteers up with businesses and charities that want volunteers. I don't know what they'd be called in your area, but a googling might help.

I know one of the animal sanctuaries wanted someone to fix their website for them and write newsletters.

THen f*****g call them and get your ass out there.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:52 am

Clyde wrote:
Mark198423 wrote:
You also conveiniently didn't respond to my answering of your asumption about my life.

It's clearly your choice as to what you apply for but clearly you're struggling, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist so it seems silly to narrow your choices due to snobery.

You'll still have to serve the food and smell it that way so there's no escape. Once you're used to it it won't be a problem and could actually help you handle it in other places too.

It has nothing to do with snobbery. It has to do with preferences.

No. Host don't serve food.

Unless you are a hot girl the manager at the restaurant wants to f**k, then you're not gonna be a host. Try immersion therapy. Have DAd cook up some tasty murd.....I mean tasty bacon...shut the kitchen doors and you stay in the kitchen until you've gotten used to it. I used to be like that with shirt tags. Got used to them and they don't even register with me.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:59 pm

Clyde wrote:
I hate it. In this economy people are either making due with the employees they have or hiring whomever they want. I have no job experience and I need a job. I need to start building for my future. I cannot get any work experience if I don't have a job. Its like a catch 22, no experience, no job, but no job no experience.
I'm tired of it. Everywhere I have to deal with incompetent no jobs. Kohls calls my home phone, while I'm out for school. They never called my cellphone, I didn't even get a missed message. I call back to see why they called, they were doing interviews on the day I called and they passed they were at like 8:40 in the morning. It would have been nice for them to leave a voice mail. I got home so late I didn't have time to call back that very day. Its utter b.s. I signed up for Macy's, but won't get the job because I can't complete their questionare because they are asking for social security. You do not give social security until you're hired. Unless you're guaranteed to get hired, they have no right knowing my social security. All the online job applications require a social security, which is ret*d.

How the f**k am I suppose to get a job, when business do not know how to design online job applications? When no one picks the person who is just in college, needs financial support to make it in life? When no one picks the person who needs experience to get into a job?

I'll work at places like Outback, but nowhere super fast foody. I just. I can't do this any more. I want to blow up all business jobs and start over. Where people who actually have skill experience or no experience actually get a job. Not Stacy Smiles a Lot.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but NEVER use your home phone, ONLY use your cell phone when looking for a job, and make sure it is ALWAYS charged.

I agree with the SS number issue, you need to provide it. The only case you don't need to provide it is office jobs in which you send resumes or are recruited. In order to get those you need at least a college education and previous internships.

I hate to say this sticking to your guns is not going to help you with getting a job. This is not an easy task these days, and as much as you think they are not legally obligated to give them a SS number, they still can ask, and they still can refuse to call you if you do not provide it.

Last I should note is that transitioning to adulthood is harder for somebody on the spectrum, much harder. My first 2 years out of law school I struggled quite a bit. Within 2 years after that I no longer talked to my parents. Now 7 years out from law school I am pretty successful on my own in an enviable job and fielding calls from recruiters. Life turns around eventually, but it took me longer than NT, and I had to make some hard choices to craft a life on my own.

glamourdollxoxo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2010, 4:37 am

Good luck to you but a little tidbit I learned is that until you are high up and have experience under your belt you aren't going to be calling the shots anytime soon in the working world. If you want a job that bad you are going to have to swallow your pride and take whatever you can get and if you don't like it look for another. Beggars can't be chosers in this economy and without your SS number they can't look at your background or if you are a citizen so you not giving your SS number would not look good to employers like you are purposely being difficult. So instead of looking at things like they are "below" you swallow your pride and step up and do what you have to do like millions of us are doing in this economy.