Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2006, 6:58 pm

Is anyone else here into videogame coding, either professionally or as a hobby?

I work in the industry (on a stream of pretty mediocre titles so far), and I do DS, PSP and PS2 homebrew in my spare time. I also enjoy reversing the file-formats of commercial games in order get access to a good supply of pro-quality assets.

Anyone else?

SidebarGeek4life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2006, 9:37 pm

Video Game developing is one of my favorite things to do! :D
Infact most of the time rather than making my own video game I like to hack others and change the text,images and code. The games I like to hack are Super Mario 64 (for nintendo 64 not DS), "Pokemon Ruby, Firered and Emerald", Super Mario brothers 3 for NES, and any other game that I can get my hands on the code for :D

jolger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2006, 4:33 pm

I would really like to develope games... But unfortunately i only know very little of programming :( although im still learning Delphi... ^^ And now that we're at it... Could anyone of you two guys maybe "share" some experience??? I would REALLY appreciate that :D:D:D

My "Experience":

A bit Basic...
A bit HTML
A bit PHP
A little more delphi than the other three ^^...

/jolger

2% scored higher (more nerdy), and
98% scored lower (less nerdy).

What does this mean? Your nerdiness is:

All hail the monstrous nerd. You are by far the SUPREME NERD GOD!! !

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2006, 5:52 pm

Hello, fellow game-geeks!

SidebarGeek: That sounds like fun...what sort of hacks do you do on ROMs?

jolger: You're already off to a really good start by learning Delphi.
The way I and lots of other people learnt to write games is this: Set yourself a goal of writing a really simple space-invaders clone.

Think about all the tasks this involves - getting input from the keyboard, drawing the bullets and player and alien ships, keeping track of everything, detecting when a bullet hits something, keeping score, knowing when the game has ended, and so on. Then you figure out how to do each task. Start off with learning to draw a single object on the screen. Then figure out how to make it move. Then make it controllable with the keyboard. Then add another object that moves around on its own, and so on.

The most important thing is not making the best game in the world, and not adding a million features, but actually finishing it so it's proper playable game. Don't worry about how good it is. The next game will be better, the one after that even better, and before you know it you'll be John Carmack :D

nortala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2006, 5:24 am

I'm studying game development, so the games industry is where i hope to end up :) as a 3D artist, though - I can't code anything :)

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 5:38 am

The main reason I learned all this stuff about computers was so that I could make games.

I seem to learn just about everything BUT game programming. Even still, I'm not too far off I think from being able to make them.

I'm thinking of making a very simple Internet Strategy game. There's this one game, Kingdoms of War that I play. It's pretty pathetic and I kind of want to make something better then this just to proove that I can. That and I have some ideas how to make some money off it. I'm not sure what this game will be like, but it'd be extremely simple.

But my big thing right now is this thing I've decided to call 'Einharjer'. You would play as an officer in a fantasy medieval kingdom. Keep the peasents in line, go to war with other kingdoms, gather up resources and the like. The idea here is that you'd be apointed by the Aesir (the game would be heavily inspired by Norse Mythology) to fight the Jotun(Giants)/Demons/Great Old Ones (It's also inspired by H.P. Lovecraft). By no means though does this mean you have to be 'good'. And although the various nations would all believe in the same entities, that would not mean they have the same religion. In some places, the difference between the Aesir and the Jotun would be little more then a name.

The idea behind Einharjer is that it would have Real Time Strategy and Roleplaying elements. If I can pull it off, it'd be one of the few games where the 'Roleplaying' wouldn't be lie. You would be able to have a serious affect on the game itself, and you would be able to make choices. Rather than just a story that you're just kind of along on for the ride. (That is to say, instead of saving the princess, you could convince her to stop buying into offensive gender roles and save herself. I mean really, those Knights aren't exactly reliable types.)

Err. So yeah. Game design is one of my obsessions :P

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2006, 9:32 pm

Einharjer sounds excellent! Impossible, but excellent :)

I'd think I'd enjoy playing as a peasant - my brethren and I would overthrow the warmongering officer class, win the right to representative government, and build a peaceful, egalitarian and secular society. The Aesir, starved of the faith of the peasants, would vanish in a puff of mead-vapour.

Cr383
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2006, 12:39 am

Ever tried DarkBasic? It's designed specifically to make games. You can find it at:

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

You'll have to pay for it though. (Though there used to be a download version.)
And if you have lots of money, you could even buy DarkBasic Pro. Better interface, a legion of options and some extras.

I made a tetris game in notime (and then spent weeks trying to debug it :wink: .)

PS: It's just like basic, but with tons of extras that make 2D/3D programming a lot easier. It takes just one line of code to draw a cube, a few more to move it around and then some more to texture it - in all about 10-15 lines of code. Try that using C++...

Slapula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2006, 2:01 pm

Xuincherguixe wrote:
'Einharjer'

Ahh, reminds me of the good ol'days of playing Valkerie Profile :D

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 5:25 pm

I wish some one would make a decent Real time Stratagy open source game.
There is a project online http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/ That has the source code for making a rts already. You just have to use there gaming engine to make your own game.
I think there are other open source games out there that give the source code for doing that stuff in 3d as well. But still no playable open source RTS games are around.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 5:44 pm

Are there any sprite artists on WrongPlanet; I have a game idea (Nintendo DS) and I would like to set up a team.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 8:10 pm

I would like people to set up a group for making a Open source game so all people could use the game not just people who own Nintendo DS's.

MagicMike
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 8:52 pm

Actually, one could program this on a PC and set the code to run on a DS emulator. But I see your point.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 11:15 pm

I'm actually working on a game idea/story/gameplay...

Any game developers from Australia?

On sabbatical...

nortala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2006, 2:46 am

I'm from Au. watcha working on?

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 7:29 am

Slapula wrote:
Ahh, reminds me of the good ol'days of playing Valkerie Profile :D

That game may have been one of the things that inspired me with this (I've lost track to be quite honest). I'd rather this not end up something that seems very derivative.

But then, I get the feeling that mixing Norse Mythology and H.P. Lovecraft is probably something that hasn't been done all that much. (Then again it works so well it might have been)

I'll start things off as a MUSH (text based role playing game), and add things over time I think.