Age of self-awareness.

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

I always knew I was different, to everyone my age I met.
I've always known that I don't like being around people, and that they exhaust me.
It says in my nursery reports (aged 1), that I copied other children.
I knew I had to work extra hard at the age of three to fit it. I was aware of the fact that I was trying to be normal, by copping other peoples actions, and words.
I knew I was extra sensitive to stimuli around the age of 1-7 (different ages, for different senses)
At 10, someone pointed my odd body language out.
At the age of 11, I became aware of that fact that facial expressions didn't come naturally to me, and was copping other people. Later that day, I realised social skills don't come naturally to me either.
Later that year, I met a girl who obviously had something, but didn't know. I started to think about how other people could have them and not know, including myself. I started thinking about how weird, and different I am, and came to the conclusion that I had something, but had either not been diagnosed, or it was being hidden from me.
I was then diagnosed 1 and a half years later, and being referred by school ( I was told right away).

^That's just some of it.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:46 pm

3, when I realised that the person opposite me's right hand is left for me.

spazzyboy13136
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm

Don't wanna sound creepy but I felt the differences creep up forever. I always knew I was different And It angered me before even my self diagnoses at 16

Calamity1138
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2012, 6:07 pm

I knew just about age 4 or 5. Remember breaking into the little girl next door's basement to play with her toys for months. The adults would talk about it and I remember listening in trying to learn how to be sneakier next time. Eventually they never knew I went in or out. Didn't get a lot of supervision as a kid if you couldn't tell : )

But defiantly knew it was something bigger once I hit 3rd grade, 7-8 years old. Peers never fail to point out differences at that age and I didn't help the situation. Mostly siting alone reading Yeats, Kipling or comic books and listening to the Dead Kennedy's or GnR on my high tech walk man lol. Teachers would organize games at recess time and try to force me to play. It always ended miserably since I could never understand the point of it and forgot the illogical rules.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

There must have been a time very early on in my life where I didn't know I was different, but I have no memory of it.

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

I always saw myself as a "smart kid" throughout all of elementary school, and I knew that I would act really weird sometimes, but I didn't start trying to change myself until I was almost 14. I wish I had started sooner, though...

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 5:31 pm

I had a very vague feeling of being differerent when I started Kindergarten, but it was not obvious to me until I was about ten years old.

Scaurie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

I first started thinking that I was different (albeit, not knowing it was Asperger's) when I was in grade two (7-8 years old where I am) and I started having meltdowns in class. I was the only one who still had full-blown temper tantrums and crying jags in school, and I used it hide it by spending most of my time in the girls' washroom, feeling a overwhelming sense of shame.

:?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

18 Nov 2012, 7:36 am

It was around 5-6ish, but I really don't know.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2012, 9:23 pm

Just recently..

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 2:47 am

I suppose that I knew something was different about me in first grade. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 40's though.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

slushy9
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2013, 10:07 pm

16 when my friend called me autistic and i started researching :lol:
But I always knew I was different from others since 5 b/c I was always top of class

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

21 Jul 2013, 2:13 pm

It was only in my adult years, when I entered my 20s I realized it.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2013, 5:56 am

I realized I was different from others in first grade, but got hints in kindergarten when I didn't understand others much. But it took many years to find out the reason...

I never heard of Asperger Syndrome until I was maybe 37 or 38 a year or so ago.
I never had a clue I might have Asperger Syndrome or Autism until a few months after that.
I have been in the land of confusion for about 39 years.

WastedLife
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Dec 2013, 9:27 am

Feeling different - At 4
Feeling it would be a problem - At 9
Starting acting - At 16
Being accepted - At 18
Being accepted for who I really am -

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 10:13 pm

After hearing Kurt Cobain once describing feeling like he was dropped off here from another world I can honestly say I felt similar feelings as young as 3. I didn't think it would be a problem for me until probably 11 or 12 when the reality of more complex, nuanced relationships started becoming apparent. I didn't handle that period well but also for a bunch of other non ASD reasons.