Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 8:32 pm

Stephen Hawking claims the universe will end in the year 1 google or 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years so if thats the case then true immortality is impossible but thats still a life well lived and scientists say it can be available to anyone younger than 40 and banks will be happy to give loans if you have until 1 google to pay them back and who knows what other technology we will have in 40 years so it may be even be cheap after the millionaires and billionaires act essentially as guinea pigs to perfect the process for the good hard working class such as us www.imminst.org thats a site full of transhumanists(im one) who are supporters of the Life Extension movement i've always believed that human destiny is created by humans not some "Gods" so only we can improve humanities conditions(i consider aspies intellectually superior to NTs which means its not a genetic defect that needs to be cured but the next step to human evolution)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 8:47 pm

In about 100 trillion year's time not even red dwarf stars would not be emitting light, so it wouldn't be possible to wait for ten trigintillion since there would be no available energy from stars, at the least not without a proper quantity of technobabble. Current technology may be able to get us to other stars in a few decades, but unless time travel or zero point modules are developed, continued existence in this universe would not be possible. However, even with telomerase gene activators and all the rest, life would merely be extended - perhaps by a couple of centuries - but not extended indefinitely.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:01 pm

Be careful of what you wish for. If the problem of telamere degeneration is "solved" every cell becomes (in effect) immortal. Just like a cancer cell. I suspect if such a treatment of cells were administered the person so treated would eventually end up as a mass of cancers of several kinds.

There is a utility to cell death. It prevents cancers from becoming a forever thing.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Be careful of what you wish for. If the problem of telamere degeneration is "solved" every cell becomes (in effect) immortal. Just like a cancer cell. I suspect if such a treatment of cells were administered the person so treated would eventually end up as a mass of cancers of several kinds.

There is a utility to cell death. It prevents cancers from becoming a forever thing.

ruveyn

Cancers already are immortal. Activating the gene for telomerase doesn't initialize cancer nor mitosis, but it allows for the telomere, end cap gene, to not wear away in the process of mitosis.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:25 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Cancers already are immortal. Activating the gene for telomerase doesn't initialize cancer nor mitosis, but it allows for the telomere, end cap gene, to not wear away in the process of mitosis.

Which means we will last long enough to get cancer for sure. Cosmic rays bombard us continually and it is only a matter of time before an immortal become cancerous.

Look up Henrietta Lax or HeLa cells (named for her). She is dead but her cancer lives on.

ruveyhn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Which means we will last long enough to get cancer for sure. Cosmic rays bombard us continually and it is only a matter of time before an immortal become cancerous.

Look up Henrietta Lax or HeLa cells (named for her). She is dead but her cancer lives on.

There are other causes for cell death than telomere degrading. And it is not impossible to cure cancer. It's not totally solved but progress is being made.

ruveyhn

Last edited by Sand on 14 Dec 2010, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:29 pm

Sand wrote:

There are other causes for cell death than telomere degrading. And it is not impossible to cure cancer. It's not totally solved but progress is being made.

Watch your quotes

Write us when cancer is prevented or cured reliablly.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Watch your quotes

Write us when cancer is prevented or cured reliablly.

ruveyn

Since we are discussing immortality which, I assume, is not yet a reality, I can safely speculate that cancer will be controlled and eliminated. Or do you consider that beyond possibility?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:41 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
In about 100 trillion year's time not even red dwarf stars would not be emitting light, so it wouldn't be possible to wait for ten trigintillion since there would be no available energy from stars, at the least not without a proper quantity of technobabble. Current technology may be able to get us to other stars in a few decades, but unless time travel or zero point modules are developed, continued existence in this universe would not be possible. However, even with telomerase gene activators and all the rest, life would merely be extended - perhaps by a couple of centuries - but not extended indefinitely.
as far as you know, even if your correct, in a couple centuries we will have developed ways to make us live even longer and the longer we live the more medical procedures we find until we reach "immortality" it all depends on humanities will to survive in the end but it is more than possible within most of our lifetimes

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:55 pm

TheKing wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
as far as you know, even if your correct, in a couple centuries we will have developed ways to make us live even longer and the longer we live the more medical procedures we find until we reach "immortality" it all depends on humanities will to survive in the end but it is more than possible within most of our lifetimes

To speak of living trillions of years is amusing fantastic nonsense. Even a million years is pretty surely not worthwhile considering seriously. Our species has existed only about a couple of million years while dinosaurs managed over a hundred times that and they ceased to persist as dinosaurs but changed into other things. So it will be with humans. Nevertheless a hundred thousand years seems to me a more reasonable life span that the lousy hundred or so years we manage now.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:09 pm

We are already immortal. We just don't know it and never will. Everything that is happening has happened before and will eventually happen again. Maybe?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm

Kon wrote:
We are already immortal. We just don't know it and never will. Everything that is happening has happened before and will eventually happen again. Maybe?

Just as easily I can claim you are speaking nonsense. You have no basis for your statements.

Banned_Magnus
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm

We are immortal technically. We evaporate and dissolve our elements over and over again. Energy is immortal. What kind of energy we can manifest within ourselves is up for debate.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm

Banned_Magnus wrote:
We are immortal technically. We evaporate and dissolve our elements over and over again. Energy is immortal. What kind of energy we can manifest within ourselves is up for debate.

Energy is a kick in the pants, an electric shock, a burning match. To confuse that with a living functioning dynamic mechanism displays such immense profound ignorance as to be stupefying.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm

you can't exactly discredit Indefinite Life Longevity that easy i mean look back 40 years ago and they said half the stuff we know to be true today could never happen or exist and we are dawning as we speak on a new technological era that may very well in 30-40 years see things we only saw in sci-fi in star wars TIE (TIE Fighters) stood for twin ion engines which did not exist at the time but now our space stations use ion engines albeit they are a lot slower in real life. we have lasers that can cut through people and may very well be weaponized after their research is 100% complete hell Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have claimed that time travel will be a future possibility Stephen Hawking explains his evidence in chapter 10 i believe of the 10th anniversary updated edition of A Brief History of Time. and Dr. Aubrey De Grey is a famous bio-gerantologist from Cambridge University he has written a top selling book called Ending Aging and he himself has appeared on shows such as CNN, The Colbert Report, The BBC World News, 60 Minutes, and many others. there is a current outreach program to get celebrities to join our cause. before his untimely death Michael Jackson was a big supporter of the movement and we are currently awaiting replies from Stephen Hawking, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, George Clooney and many others its not like we don't take our mission seriously and i personally intend to immerse myself in this endeavor as soon as i finish high school as im only a member of the organization i want to become more useful when i graduate.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:49 pm

TheKing wrote:
you can't exactly discredit Indefinite Life Longevity that easy i mean look back 40 years ago and they said half the stuff we know to be true today could never happen or exist and we are dawning as we speak on a new technological era that may very well in 30-40 years see things we only saw in sci-fi in star wars TIE (TIE Fighters) stood for twin ion engines which did not exist at the time but now our space stations use ion engines albeit they are a lot slower in real life. we have lasers that can cut through people and may very well be weaponized after their research is 100% complete hell Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have claimed that time travel will be a future possibility Stephen Hawking explains his evidence in chapter 10 i believe of the 10th anniversary updated edition of A Brief History of Time. and Dr. Aubrey De Grey is a famous bio-gerantologist from Cambridge University he has written a top selling book called Ending Aging and he himself has appeared on shows such as CNN, The Colbert Report, The BBC World News, 60 Minutes, and many others. there is a current outreach program to get celebrities to join our cause. before his untimely death Michael Jackson was a big supporter of the movement and we are currently awaiting replies from Stephen Hawking, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, George Clooney and many others its not like we don't take our mission seriously and i personally intend to immerse myself in this endeavor as soon as i finish high school as im only a member of the organization i want to become more useful when i graduate.

There are lots of interesting ideas floating around and some have potential and some are complete nonsense. You don't seem to be able to discriminate.