Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:46 pm

Banned_Magnus wrote:
We are immortal technically. We evaporate and dissolve our elements over and over again. Energy is immortal. What kind of energy we can manifest within ourselves is up for debate.

Energy is a kick in the pants, an electric shock, a burning match. To confuse that with a living functioning dynamic mechanism displays such immense profound ignorance as to be stupefying.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm

you can't exactly discredit Indefinite Life Longevity that easy i mean look back 40 years ago and they said half the stuff we know to be true today could never happen or exist and we are dawning as we speak on a new technological era that may very well in 30-40 years see things we only saw in sci-fi in star wars TIE (TIE Fighters) stood for twin ion engines which did not exist at the time but now our space stations use ion engines albeit they are a lot slower in real life. we have lasers that can cut through people and may very well be weaponized after their research is 100% complete hell Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have claimed that time travel will be a future possibility Stephen Hawking explains his evidence in chapter 10 i believe of the 10th anniversary updated edition of A Brief History of Time. and Dr. Aubrey De Grey is a famous bio-gerantologist from Cambridge University he has written a top selling book called Ending Aging and he himself has appeared on shows such as CNN, The Colbert Report, The BBC World News, 60 Minutes, and many others. there is a current outreach program to get celebrities to join our cause. before his untimely death Michael Jackson was a big supporter of the movement and we are currently awaiting replies from Stephen Hawking, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, George Clooney and many others its not like we don't take our mission seriously and i personally intend to immerse myself in this endeavor as soon as i finish high school as im only a member of the organization i want to become more useful when i graduate.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:49 pm

TheKing wrote:
you can't exactly discredit Indefinite Life Longevity that easy i mean look back 40 years ago and they said half the stuff we know to be true today could never happen or exist and we are dawning as we speak on a new technological era that may very well in 30-40 years see things we only saw in sci-fi in star wars TIE (TIE Fighters) stood for twin ion engines which did not exist at the time but now our space stations use ion engines albeit they are a lot slower in real life. we have lasers that can cut through people and may very well be weaponized after their research is 100% complete hell Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have claimed that time travel will be a future possibility Stephen Hawking explains his evidence in chapter 10 i believe of the 10th anniversary updated edition of A Brief History of Time. and Dr. Aubrey De Grey is a famous bio-gerantologist from Cambridge University he has written a top selling book called Ending Aging and he himself has appeared on shows such as CNN, The Colbert Report, The BBC World News, 60 Minutes, and many others. there is a current outreach program to get celebrities to join our cause. before his untimely death Michael Jackson was a big supporter of the movement and we are currently awaiting replies from Stephen Hawking, Robin Williams, Joan Rivers, George Clooney and many others its not like we don't take our mission seriously and i personally intend to immerse myself in this endeavor as soon as i finish high school as im only a member of the organization i want to become more useful when i graduate.

There are lots of interesting ideas floating around and some have potential and some are complete nonsense. You don't seem to be able to discriminate.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:11 am

this actually does have potential and there is serious research being put in this by gerantologists (researchers who study aging) they know the problem and Dr. Aubrey De Grey and his team are working on fixing the problem. people have always wanted immortality thats why the weak minded created a fake "afterlife" but it doesn't rest with "alchemy" or "magic" but instead with biotechnology and genetic engineering thats where gilgamesh and all the others who searched for the "fountain of youth" failed and religion didn't help with its roughly 1600 years of scientific persecution hell if anything all religion did was inadvertantly promote "magic" with all that higher power nonsense but really its all shake and seeds you see biotechnology and genetic engineering will be what saves humanity in the end action not misguided faith and inaction by thinking that "something will come save us after all faith is just believing what you know aint true. we are all alone and its up to each and everyone doing their part for real progress to made to advance the human race this is the biggest and most noble cause ever. everything we want can only help humanity. transhumanists don't tolerate irresponsible use of technology.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:25 am

TheKing wrote:
this actually does have potential and there is serious research being put in this by gerantologists (researchers who study aging) they know the problem and Dr. Aubrey De Grey and his team are working on fixing the problem. people have always wanted immortality thats why the weak minded created a fake "afterlife" but it doesn't rest with "alchemy" or "magic" but instead with biotechnology and genetic engineering thats where gilgamesh and all the others who searched for the "fountain of youth" failed and religion didn't help with its roughly 1600 years of scientific persecution hell if anything all religion did was inadvertantly promote "magic" with all that higher power nonsense but really its all shake and seeds you see biotechnology and genetic engineering will be what saves humanity in the end action not misguided faith and inaction by thinking that "something will come save us after all faith is just believing what you know aint true. we are all alone and its up to each and everyone doing their part for real progress to made to advance the human race this is the biggest and most noble cause ever. everything we want can only help humanity. transhumanists don't tolerate irresponsible use of technology.

That's one of the good ones.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:25 am

mind uploading is one of the Transhumanist goals i AM skeptical about because first of all even if possible i guarantee you wont still be you. but most of their goals are logically reasonable. im mainly interested in life longevity because of my non-theistic beliefs if this is indeed our only life i intend to keep it going for as long as possible because a mere 80-100(if your lucky) just isnt enough time and im actually expecting it to be a series of large life expectancy jumps which will allow us to acquire a more permanent solution

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:43 am

TheKing wrote:
mind uploading is one of the Transhumanist goals i AM skeptical about because first of all even if possible i guarantee you wont still be you. but most of their goals are logically reasonable. im mainly interested in life longevity because of my non-theistic beliefs if this is indeed our only life i intend to keep it going for as long as possible because a mere 80-100(if your lucky) just isnt enough time and im actually expecting it to be a series of large life expectancy jumps which will allow us to acquire a more permanent solution

I agree absolutely. I will be 85 next February and hell, I've hardly gotten started. I would agree to be uploaded into a horse if it had a decent chance at the Kentucky Derby but otherwise I might be a bit picky.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:42 am

Sand wrote:
TheKing wrote:

I agree absolutely. I will be 85 next February and hell, I've hardly gotten started. I would agree to be uploaded into a horse if it had a decent chance at the Kentucky Derby but otherwise I might be a bit picky.

Mind transfer (upload/download) is balderdash.

1. We have no coherent theory about information is stored in the brain in detail.
2. Since we cannot parse our thoughts in terms of a definitive encoding there is nothing to transfer from one brain to another.

Mind transfer is nothing like doing a computer memory dump to some storage medium and transferring the data to another computer.

ruveyhn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
TheKing wrote:

Mind transfer (upload/download) is balderdash.

1. We have no coherent theory about information is stored in the brain in detail.
2. Since we cannot parse our thoughts in terms of a definitive encoding there is nothing to transfer from one brain to another.

Mind transfer is nothing like doing a computer memory dump to some storage medium and transferring the data to another computer.

ruveyhn

Evidently you have tried and failed. Better luck next time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:49 am

Sand wrote:
Evidently you have tried and failed. Better luck next time.

I worked twenty years in AI and brain wave analysis so I know something about it. We have no technology that can do the job and the current state of neurophysiology has no path to data transfer from one living brain to another (other than by speech and writing). Also no one knows what a "mind" is. Is it physical. Is it some non physical entity. Where is it located. What are its properties. We know what a brain is but we do not know how our thoughts are encoded in the functioning of brain tissue.

I would bet we get controlled nuclear fusion long before we get "mind transfer". At least there is some basic physics there and the problems are not theoretical but technological.

ruveyhn

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 3:49 am

Sand wrote:
Just as easily I can claim you are speaking nonsense. You have no basis for your statements.

I have a basis:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0612/0612053.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_re ... te_note-10

Whether my basis is nonsense is another story.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 8:19 am

Kon wrote:
Sand wrote:
Just as easily I can claim you are speaking nonsense. You have no basis for your statements.

I have a basis:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0612/0612053.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_re ... te_note-10

Whether my basis is nonsense is another story.

Sorry Kon, I usually like to agree with you (note I do not in any way endorse the comment made by Sand). I have read the Lynds article before. For eternal return to work, every process must work the same way backwards as it does forwards. Its fatal weakness is the science of black hole evaporation. It only attempts to deal with Hawking's work on the subject but does not include a refutation to the work put forward by Elitzur and Dolev. Those two scientists showed, in 1999, that black hole evaporation entails an objective passage of time. For the Lynds concept to be accepted it must refute the conclusion of the major work on the subject in a more detailed way. As to Peter Lynds himself, to call him controversial, would be a bit of an understatement, I am unsure of his academic credibility (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... reducation).

Was not spoken of the soul.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:14 am

I don't buy his arguments either. I found it more reasonable than the creator hypothesis as it is at least within the realm of possibility, in my opinion. Personally, I really like Max Tegmark's multiverse model (attempt at Theory of Everything). But his model still doesn't explain where the metauniverse came from, unless it always existed? I do know that most physicists are now of the opinion that one can ask what was "before the big bang" unlike even a few years ago. Here's a good video series (watch in sequence):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGx3UB-Slg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVwirDNF ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vTQ3Z9 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH-GmZaJ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSCMEO0Z ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgcSxBI ... re=related

Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:49 am

^^

I have actually already watched that. I watch most episodes of Horizon as I find them very interesting (that particular episode was really interesting so I recommend it). As another recommendation I suggest you check out some of the work on the creator hypothesis by Dr. William Lane Craig, specifically the Kalam Cosmological Argument: this can be found at reasonablefaith.org. You might find it interesting, even if it does not convince you.

Was not spoken of the soul.