In 20 years Aspies will not be in the workforce!

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 3:00 pm

Squidward wrote:
By then, technology will have progressed so much that all jobs that are perfect for Aspies, repetitive, mechanical, systematic, will have been replaced by machines.

I worked for the Australian Electoral Commission counting votes earlier this year. I had the time of my f**king life, and it was a full-time job! Unfortunately the votes could only be counted so many times, and the employment was only ever temporary from the start. If only there were elections every month, I'd have my living sorted!

Only an Aspie could envy a machine. I wish I could have the job of a TAB machine, or a telephone, manually connecting one phone to the phone with the number dialled, or even a calculator, being fed mathematical problems and giving the person the desired, and always correct, result.

I really felt for Charlie's dad in the movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. How dare they favour a machine over a human being!?

Thoughts?

False,

Because in my job, there is never perfection. Also there is never perfection in anything hence the saying no one is perfect. Nor are machines as well.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2010, 5:04 pm

I think true, flawless AI in charge over a bunch of stupid white men in suits might be a good thing. In fact, I'm going to invent a new conspiracy theory: the powers that be made Terminator and the Matrix to create anti-machine life sentiment :wink: :)

notcoyote
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Dec 2010, 5:19 am

well if petroleum fueled progress continues i think its far more likely we are all well paid and retired jugging by what happened to the generation that was my age during the last depression

but with peak oil past in 2006

More Likely

our species will rely on the retained information and pattern literacy of aspies to survive and rebuild after grid-crash ie No mass electronic storage.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm

EVERY TIME I get a little bit of dignity, something destroys it. I had a decent part time job as a cashier. I didn't like everything, but I actualy got something! Then after only one year, just as the time before, and the time before the shame forceing demon rears it's ugly head, and my flea ridden booth gets replaced by ticket reading boxes that everyone hates, literaly.

Yeah, I wander what it feels like to live in your own place. :( Like I would know loosing since I started at 16 years old. :cry: Do I hate the machine that replaced me? Yes! Ticket SATAN, grrr that box. :evil: You can only imagine the paper work it makes for nothing. It's incredible! I dropped my jaw the first time I saw the pile. The company isn't even going to be doing business on the property anymore, the new machine is terrible for the whole property.

The employees in the building, never mind the business catagory, don't like it either. One group made a pumpkin for halloween entry with negativity in trubute. What I heard, is they put a tiny pumpkins as traffic being held up in a nice line, with one being smashed in the Ticket Satan's gate arms. Now that parking company is moveing out of the property. I guess everyone simply had it.

Since then, I had been through utter shame looking for work and finding nothing but dead ends and fear. I have no idea what to do, where to go, and the group that's supposed to help won't to anything usefull at all! I'm just meant to be what my parents hate, I guess. I hate being this person to. :cry: I never use the self checkouts at the store. They cause grief, and I don't see how that benifits anyone.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 12:28 pm

notcoyote wrote:
More Likely

our species will rely on the retained information and pattern literacy of aspies to survive and rebuild after grid-crash ie No mass electronic storage.

I feel a little better now. Thank you.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 3:05 pm

Here is the hard truth.
Most jobs that are industrial work are vanishing quickly. Machines are doing the work.

The three job categories that remain are knowledge and creative at the upper end, and service mostly at the lower end. This is called the bifurcation of the labor market, and by in large does not hurt those on the spectrum. Why? The knowledge jobs require academic discipline and expertise that most NTs do not have. This is especially true since "domain experts" are becoming more important, the problem is becoming a domain expert almost requires an autistic ability to understand specific subject matters. On top of this there is the data analysts, who spend hours looking through statistics. I can go on but the repetitive tasks you speak of is factory work. How does that hurt us?

Truth be told, those of us who tend to be the more functional/mild lot are better suited for the new economy than most NT. Why? Intellectual curiosity. We excell at learning subjects in an extremely focused manner. We often retain more of what we learn because our neurological development is geared that way. We have no issues with complex analysis. I can go on.

Let this be clear, many many programmers, engineers and people in science and technology are on the spectrum. These are at the core of the knowledge based economy. If you have an intellectual curiosity and are on spectrum you are in good shape. If you are the type that would be content with factory work, you are not.

As somebody said many of these jobs are telecommuting jobs, my partner works at home programming computers.

If you understood the larger structure of the economy, you would get that we are no worse than previously, in fact large chunks of the knowledge based economy have people on the spectrum at thier core. Then again, I am one of the people within the knowledge based economy, working to modernize systems of organization.

So how are we worse? It is not repetive work that people on the spectrum excel at IMHO, it is intellectually intense work. Basically the jobs that are not going away.