Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 7:46 pm

Any practitioners around? Want to natter, talk about basic principles, or share some tips/stories? I went to a class last night, and it was really good, I'll probably take it up.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm more of a Fairbairn-SYkes-Applegate/WW2 Combatives kinda guy..

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

RICKY5 wrote:

What's that then Ricky? I'm sure it's interesting, want to elaborate?

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 10:07 pm

Moog wrote:
RICKY5 wrote:

What's that then Ricky? I'm sure it's interesting, want to elaborate?

It's basically a rather vicous method of street fighting that works rather effectively. Best video example of it is "Jim Grover's Combatives" from www.paladinpress.com

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14d5sK0yl00[/youtube]

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:02 am

This is an aspie friend of mine who is into akido:
http://twitter.com/joqatana

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:22 pm

I'm a shodan aikidoka, but my dojo is more of an aikikai style and we do use atemi; ki society is fairly different. Still, we use ki in the sense that ki is projected intent, as opposed to the sense of ki as some sort of metaphysical energy.

Have you gone back to the dojo for another class? How are you doing on your rolls?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 8:20 am

LKL wrote:
I'm a shodan aikidoka, but my dojo is more of an aikikai style and we do use atemi; ki society is fairly different. Still, we use ki in the sense that ki is projected intent, as opposed to the sense of ki as some sort of metaphysical energy.

Have you gone back to the dojo for another class? How are you doing on your rolls?

Hi LKL. I don't know what much of your post means, but I appreciate it! Maybe it will make sense later.

I will be back there on Wednesday, barring accidents. I've yet to do any rolling, though I guess that's an integral part of it. I was never very good at rolling as a child, I think it will challenge me.

Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:56 am

@ Rikky 5, that looks rather subtle......

I think I will stick with Bujinkan

Was not spoken of the soul.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2010, 5:55 pm

Ah Aikido, the art of the counter fight. If my town wasn't so dang indifferent to the martial arts, I'd probably be a BJJ black belt and working on one for Aikido as well. Unfortunately all you can get here is karate, and stand-up bores me.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 2:06 am

good luck - the rolls are the hard part. You might be sore for a while until you get them down, but once you get them it gets a lot more fun.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 4:12 am

LKL wrote:
good luck - the rolls are the hard part. You might be sore for a while until you get them down, but once you get them it gets a lot more fun.

Thank you :)

GreyThorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2010, 10:54 pm

I started aikido about 5 months ago and I really enjoy it. I have my 6th kyu test tomorrow- I'm hoping I remember everything and don't blank out!

The extra cool thing is that I started aikido because the dojo ran an intro class for GLBT folks so I have found a comfortable and safe space to practice in. It might be one of the hardest things I have ever tried, but I enjoy the challenge most of the time. I have very little body awareness, so it has been really tough to watch and then make my body imitate what I have just seen. I really struggle with feeling ki as both uke and nage. I think part of the difficulty stems from my sensory issues, but I'm hoping to continue to improve. The other members and my sensei have been great about being patient and trying to help me learn how to move. Aikido is so unlike anything else I have ever tried. The whole concept of blending and getting out of the way is so foreign to me- I'm used to just getting clobbered in most things, so it's taken some adjusting to move my body the heck out of the way. I like that practicing aikido forces me to learn to respond in new ways rather than ingrained patterns and to really BE in my body rather than just beat on it.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 2:07 am

I certainly found that aikido helped me a great deal.