Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Shinzy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2010, 12:37 pm

I finally got a formal diagnosis from a psychologist of AS the other day. However, right after telling me this, they went straight for their books and gave me numbers to contact the local Social Security office to apply for disability (in USA by the way).

This makes me uncomfortable. I don't really understand what disability is, but as far as I know (or think I know) it's welfare. The thing is, I really want to work (I don't feel comfortable with the idea of receiving a check for free). I mean, I have problems doing regular jobs (I was employed as a receptionist and a cashier in the past, despite my attempts to tell them otherwise), but I still want to actually do something.

I'm not sure what to do about this? I'm a bit scared to go to the SS office and ask :<

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 12:56 pm

Being on disability means you qualify for special programs for finding work--not a bad deal if you have had issues holding jobs.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10029.html#part1
I suggest visiting this page to find out if you have worked long enough to qualify for benefits.

Last edited by BTDT on 10 Dec 2010, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 12:59 pm

"You are autistic. Here is the number for disability because I really cannot or do not want to work with you. Now go away." I remember getting a similar attitude when I went if for a Dx. Only difference was that they could not give me the number for social security disability because I was working as a school bus driver at the time.

What you need to do is contact the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in your state (usually part of the State Department of Employment or similar department). They should be able to work with you to find you a job that is suited to your abilities.

Shinzy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2010, 1:00 pm

You have no idea how much better that made me feel to learn that, lol! Thank you for clearing that up :)

** Edit: I meant that to BTDT, because that was the only reply I saw at the time.

To Demeus: Thanks for the info, I'll contact them! :3

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 1:42 pm

Social Security is not welfare.

You don't have to apply for it. Just because you were told to doesn't mean you have to. If you feel you don't need it, don't do it.

You can keep trying to find other jobs that suit your needs or keep working on your difficulties but you might have to accept you may have to apply for this so you get some money and not be a burden.

The other two responses were good too.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.