Cyber spying/stalking, am I obsessed and a creep

Page 13 of 13 [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

07 Jan 2011, 11:12 pm

Meow101 wrote:
Well, I made my final attempt at contact on Monday, and I got nowhere, so I'm done. I don't know how I'll get over him, or when the pain will stop, but he'll get left alone.

:cry:

~Kate

@Kate, I'm really sorry you're in so much pain. I'm sorry your ex didn't answer your question.

I'm assuming your inquiry was direct - that you told him why it was important to you that you understand why he ended your relationship. While we can debate about your ex's ethical and moral responsibilities to you - and your responsibilities to him - one thing I believe is not debatable: it would have been kind of him to provide you with an explanation for the break-up.

I certainly believe that you didn't do anything outrageous to precipitate the break-up, e.g., slept with his best friend; disrespected his mother; burned his house down, etc. Given those circumstances, he would have been doing you a simple kindness by sharing his thoughts on the subject with you. And @Kate - he should have been willing to do you a simple kindness.

You do have some additional data to consider, however: he doesn't appear to be a very kind man. He might be kind to animals and small children - or to someone he wants something from - but he certainly wasn't kind to you (by all accounts, someone who he shared a reasonably happy relationship with; someone who loved him). So that data - painful as it is - may help you find your way toward separating from him emotionally, and to allow your affection for him to begin waning.

Look, I don't know either of you, but I understand how you feel. There aren't a whole lot of reasons for someone to behave the way your ex has. When a person feels wronged by their ex, they may refuse to acquiesce to any request, no matter how small and/or reasonable. It's spiteful and petty, but they may see refusing to cooperate as an act of revenge. It doesn't seem like that's your ex's deal, since you've stated several times that your relationship seemed completely fine - right up until he broke up with you.

I'm more inclined to believe that your ex's refusal to discuss his reason for breaking up with you is rooted more in guilt than anything else. Perhaps he entered into the relationship under false pretenses: maybe he was just interested in sex or was bored or whatever and when he realized that you were quite taken with him, he knew he couldn't return your feelings. Maybe he simply met someone else, and doesn't want to admit that he's dumping you for another woman. Maybe he panicked and broke up with you on impulse, and is too embarrassed to admit that. Maybe he was spooked by the depth of his feelings for you. Maybe he's a self-handicapper who doesn't believe he deserves happiness and the love of a good woman. The possibilities are endless.

But taking into consideration that he's not kind means you're going to have to let yourself off the hook. He's not going to lift a finger to help you heal, so it's going to be up to you. I think the reality is that you made a mistake: you misjudged him. You trusted someone with your heart who isn't trustworthy - and he f'ing broke it. Now I'm not saying that it's your fault. For all I know, he said and did all the right things to make you believe him...but perhaps there just wasn't any truth behind his words and actions. I've seen the way you've written about him, and I can say that the way he's treated you - beginning with the break-up, until now - does not square with your description. If he truly was worthy of all those wonderful adjectives you've used about him, he would have at least behaved decently to you when he ended the relationship.

So maybe you could start the process of getting over him by admitting that he's not the man you thought he was? I know that's a difficult admission, but try to remind yourself that you've only lost this relationship - not every relationship; not your last chance at happiness. I think that's one of the most difficult aspects of working through the loss of a relationship: grieving the loss of all the hopes you had for your future together. It's hard to let those dreams die, but you have to remind yourself that it doesn't mean you won't realize those dreams with another partner. As a matter of fact, the sooner you start letting go of this relationship, the sooner you'll be ready to pursue another one. I hope you're able to start letting go of this guy....he really wasn't worthy of you. Take care.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2011, 11:56 pm

Thanks for posting that Hope, I appreciate your thoughts and compassion.

I hope you find some peace, Kate, I'm very sorry you had to go through this.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 4:06 pm

Thanks, Hope and Sallamandrina. Still trying to get over this :(

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

08 Jan 2011, 11:46 pm

Thanks, @Sallamandrina. :wink:

@Kate, feel free to PM me. I really do understand how you feel - I know how much it hurts. *hugs*

blahblah123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jan 2011, 1:13 am

TheWeirdPig wrote:
After reading through all these posts that everyone has written, I am now more confused than ever. I hope people have come to see that what I really am doing is not stalking, although I can see how people have that perception. Am I a creep? No, but some might jump to that conclusion. Am I obsessed? Maybe, but I'm far from the only person here with obsession issues. Still, I am talking about it.

Yes, I think people are starting to see that she has her own issues, and to a point that she has balked on responsibility. But I am told over and over that I can do absolutely nothing about it and I should not even try. That even trying through gentle persuasion would be a tremendous violation of her rights. I'm sorry, but I'm just not buying that.

No matter what anyone says, I can't stand around and watch this go on. I have to do something. I want to try calling her. In fact, I tried getting my courage up last night. Don't you people see? That's what this is really about. It is about my ability to take charge, for me to say, "Dammit, I deserve a fair shake." It's about a child who grew up as the "different" kid, who was always being told to suck it up, get over it, and life's not fair. Believe me, there are enough people here that have gone through the same thing that they have come to believe that expecting less for yourself is the norm. You never learn courage when you go through that.

No one has ever said to me, "Go get 'em, Slugger." Look, I'm not expecting to hit a home run. I just want to get the ball out of the infield, give myself a chance. But rather than giving me advice like whether to swing a curve or a slider, or wait for a fastball, the only real advice I am getting is "retire from the game."

Persistence and tenacity, once chivalrous, are no longer revered qualities. Anyone who acts in this manner seems to be automatically branded a stalker. But this is how society overreacts. They assume someone or a situation is harmful without having all the facts. This is how she overreacted and this is how so many have overreacted.

I'm grabbing a bat and I'm stepping to the plat. Please let me have this chance without condemning me. Please have some faith in me. Please trust me a bit.

Everyone here knows how you're feeling, but what they're saying is that she isn't going to change your mind. You're just going to scare her even more. If you want to call her, that's up to you, but don't be surprised if she hangs up and/or files a restraining order against you.

By the way, I don't think you're a creep. I was almost in the exact same position you were about a year ago (which is also how I know you're going to completely ignore my advice).

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:46 am

blahblah123 wrote:
By the way, I don't think you're a creep. I was almost in the exact same position you were about a year ago (which is also how I know you're going to completely ignore my advice).

I was in the same situation about five years ago. Deep down, you just want to believe that somehow the girl will rise above all the bigotry and prejudice surrounding inappropriate romantic advances and make the effort to talk to you. Don't hold your breath.

One of the things I learned from that experience is that you should never let a woman have that much power over you.