Preference between male or female friends

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 3:00 pm

I am a tomboy, and I hang out with the guys mostly, and the girls sometimes.

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2006, 9:38 pm

I definitely have far more male friends (I'm female). I'm not entirely sure why this is so, but I think its because of the common interest of videogames that is usually how I meet these people (online) and there are more male gamers than females. I think they also feel more comfortable in talking with me than with NT women, I'm not really like other women =P They can let down their guard and be emotional around me and know I won't judge them. I dunno, I guess thats what it is. Maybe there is some sexuality in some cases too, since some of them hit on me. XD

I don't have hardly any female friends, but ofcourse, they are caring and similar to me also. Its all about who you have things in common with and an understanding. I don't play any favourites over males or females, they are all welcome to me. I do like it though when I find women to talk to, we can discuss hot guys although I am alot more focused on just one guy in particular.

I never particularly remember any females I have had a problem with being cruel to me, because, for the most part I just don't really meet any NT women at all. Mean people and ones who take advantage are usually guys too, so I have to beware and tell the difference between the good and bad.

oboe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jul 2006, 10:41 pm

I dont have many friends, but i can get along better with females, i can also spend more time arround them without starting to freak out.

im a guy.

Kafkubrickian
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2006, 12:19 am

Some asp. men say they dislike other men's machismo-protocols, but depending on who they are and where you are, obviously men can be wildly varying. Mainstream (I'm from the US) men can perceive an asp. person as "faggy," because their concept of "gayness" means lacking robust, normative sexual vitality, which is exactly how the word is commonly used. Since being "gay" is the worst thing conceivable for many of these pitiful droolers, that should give you an indication where they're coming from. Depending on your interests, you will never generate a coherent back-and-forth, man-to-man banter-contest with this type, and they regard your behavior as almost crazy, in its seeming to deliberately demean yourself, or disqualify you from their conception of status. "I am a coward," I said bemusedly, and a man said "don't talk about yourself that way!" I like to talk about being a coward, it was the beginning of a hilariously self-depreciating run!

Of course, Woody Allen would gladly say he is a coward. Talking with "progressive" men can be different. I've got intellectual interests, and I like to talk about that stuff or other issues, and I'm honest about everything I don't know. So I will speak about jazz, for instance, and I find the "thinker" male thinks, "he is trying to sound elite and knowledgeable and as though he respects black people," and it's like, "no! I LOVE this thing, and you say you are interested..." They might be think it's really cool to know about jazz. And I will say, "no, I can explain to you exactly why I like this. Tell me about something interesting." A lot of times people can't talk about why they think something great is interesting.

I'll find myself embroiled in idiotic battles, because "displaying" complex intellectual interest verbally initiates nerd-war between men. People make stuff up...which is repulsive to me, since I thought we were trying to work out what is actually interesting in the world. If I sound smart, people will worry I would think that they were not smart, which was not relevant to my liking them. Anyway of course this sounds as though I commanded the situation--untrue! So in fact now I'm in the worst worlds. If I actually connect, and talk confidently and make jokes, men think I'm so eloquent and hilarious as to make them look bad in front of their girlfriends, when my intelligence is very limited, and I'm socially inept and extremely ignorant, and wanting to know more things, and certainly work things through.

After a while I noticed at work I would have hateful, cruel conversations with men, ruthlessly analytical distillations or denunciations...I guess my asp. "machismo," hopefully funny, and speak absolutely honestly to girls about how I feel, which some found very charming, although not fit for wider friendly consumption, since it was so intensively one on one, and alien to their outside social styles.