Preference between male or female friends

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AluunDar
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2006, 11:44 pm

is friend gender preferrence different for aspies i know it is for me i cant relate to guys we have nothing in common besides that i'm male

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Jun 2006, 12:30 am

Not sure. I do not need friends.

unclenutcracker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jun 2006, 6:35 am

I feel uncomfortable around fellow males. I feel like every interaction is some sort of primal struggle for dominance in some wierd way. Plus, I hate sports.

Most of my friends are female. That, of course, poses problems of its own.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2006, 7:31 am

I tend to get along with females better. But I dont really have any friends...so...

Guys all seem to like the same things...sports, beer, etc..and I dont like any of those.

AluunDar
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2006, 11:13 am

Yeah it does seem like that primal struggle A.K.A. machismo or testosteronefest
i myself dont have any friends but do want some. but i would clash with guys. girls on the other hand i get along fine with and almost extremely well with. with most guys being friends with females is an impossibility. but with aspies or at least me i cant hide my feelings if i like them theyll know i mean only if i actually love them do i actually try to date them i dont try to get something off every girl i meet

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2006, 12:51 pm

I don't really have any friends, to tell the truth, so I'm not sure. I'm not very comfortable around men, though, so I guess I'd go with girls.

lastwish
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2006, 2:14 pm

i never get to talk to any girls, so pretty much all of my friends are male. Such is the nature of education in IT :(

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 3:27 pm

It doesn't matter. If I get along with them, why should I care about gender?

theMascaraSnake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2006, 4:09 pm

I'm male and girls seem totally strange to me, I can't really imagine being friends with one, although it's quite hard to imagine being friends with anyone

but certainly not a girl, they're just annoying

and weird

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 4:21 pm

My friends tend to be female. Some are definately male, though they're typically slightly feminine males. I rarely get along with anyone typical, though, be it a typical guy or a typical girl, and I guess I've just met more atypical girls than atypical guys.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2006, 5:18 pm

Most of my friends are females. However, I do get on well with one male altough I think that's because he's a fellow aspie.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm

I'm a girl and all my friends are girls. I'm not crazy about that because I think girls especially can be really dramatic. :roll: People don't try to befriend me that often, but when they do, it's ALWAYS girls. This confuses me, since I've been told many times that I think like a guy.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 1:13 am

I find males difficult to relate to, I feel really uncomfortable around them.

I prefer friends that are girls (I'm a girl).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 2:07 am

Wow, kinda feel like the odd one out here.

For the most part I have friends on both sides but if anything though there's a lot more guys I feel comfortable arround than women. I think it comes down to the fact that I tend to be able to glide with that whole machofest thing and at least mix in well enough to where they like my better qualities and I do enough of the partying, drinking, and can get interested in the right things. With women it's more of a toss-up just because of the nonverbals, I tend to get along with women pretty well once they've known me but I feel like I used to really sketch a lot of them out at first (without doing anything in particular wrong, I think the ADHD just made me vibe in a way where they wrote me up as some kind of paint-huffing credit card-steeling f'up) and even now I still feel paranoid like if I even so much as pick up a pen the right way arround some women that I'll be getting that. Even now, I feel like I can get along with just about 80% of the guys I meet whereas with the girls its maybe 10% where I don't even catch a hint of anything to be concerned about, maybe 20% who I know I need to make sure I say as little as possible arround, and 70% where their nonverbals can be a real mixed bag (that middle ratio gets a lot better once they know me but still, quiet moments can get pretty rough at times).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 8:50 am

I'm kinda surprised at the results here too. I thought most aspies would be the same as me - I'm much more comfortable around guys. (I'm female.) I think the biggest reason is that girls are so social, so talkative. I'm not much of a talker and that seems to be more acceptable around guys. Girls tend to take it the wrong way if you're too quiet, they think you don't like them. And I'm usually not very interested in female conversation topics. My interests are more the kind of thing that guys would want to talk about, so I'm more likely to talk around guys. Also with girls there tends to be more nonverbals, more small talk, and there's the whole emotional side of things...

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 12:31 pm

I'm more comfortable around girls than I am my fellow males. Sometimes I don't even want any male to pat me on the back for something good I have done. I'll snap at them for not to touch me. I love to hug girls even if they are younger than I am. I had some friends that were girls but I haven't seen them in while.