Preference between male or female friends

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 1:31 pm

neongrl wrote:
I'm kinda surprised at the results here too. I thought most aspies would be the same as me - I'm much more comfortable around guys. (I'm female.) I think the biggest reason is that girls are so social, so talkative. I'm not much of a talker and that seems to be more acceptable around guys. Girls tend to take it the wrong way if you're too quiet, they think you don't like them. And I'm usually not very interested in female conversation topics. My interests are more the kind of thing that guys would want to talk about, so I'm more likely to talk around guys. Also with girls there tends to be more nonverbals, more small talk, and there's the whole emotional side of things...

Well, I can say that I did go from one opposit end to the other almost in terms of being like pretty much everyone else on my list untill I was getting into my later years of highschool and it started to flip. Then again I've always had at least some female friends or aquaintences IRL but usually they've been friend's girlfriends so it hardly feels like it counts (though I've also always had enough work aquaintences as well where I liked seeing em there, we'd always be friendly and even have conversations on things to an extent we just never hung out). My theory when I look arround here and then look at my own changes it seems like women are mostly nice to guys who are on that end where they pretty much are girls in a guy's body (straight or otherwise) whereas if a guy starts showing the need to carry and conduct himself like a guy, especially if he shoots off in more of that adult direction and even try to intertwine intelligence into it rather than being kind of a clown or a pig about it, things tend to go the other way and guys will like him more on his honor and things they respect whereas women will see one more guy who's put his mind over his emotions and they look at him as he's going through this change like he's destroying everything they liked about him in the first place. Of course it seems like there's other factors but its almost like the more seriously a guy takes himself or the value of things in life, even if he does laugh things off pretty well, things get polarized.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SkippyP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2006, 9:05 pm

I get along better with men because they have a better chance of sharing my obsessions than women.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 11:37 pm

I prefer friends of either Gender, just as long as they're decent people, with strong morals who like to have fun, as well. They must be very easy for me to talk to.

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2006, 6:10 pm

I really favour either gender, it's more the types of people involved, I prefer more quirky or individual people who can give intelligent and thoughtful conversation, generally it helps to have a few areas of interest in common. If a guy starts talking football I give a blank look but if he talks about cars or formula 1 then I will be fine.

impeachgod
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2006, 10:23 am

I tend to associate with girls better because every guy I know is homophobic and Asperger's and homosexuality is often confused... :(

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2006, 6:31 pm

2 friends both male. i like having male friends it just bugs me when people assume we are going out.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2006, 11:47 pm

I have lots of guy friends and several girls who are friends. I like both as friends.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 11:52 am

Personally, I have more male friends than female friends. Although I'm not as much into sports as most NT men, I have enough in common with my male friends that hanging out with them is fun. My female friends are great too, although there some things they do that I'll never understand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2006, 11:26 pm

I like Buses. Buses are my Friends.

I get along better with animals, than I do with Males or Females. And I especially get along better with Dogs. :heart:

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 12:01 pm

Yes, most of my friends are busses too, with the exception of a few trains. :lol:

I have always preferred male friends because females are so much more emotionally intricate and high maintainance. I was really depressed when, in middle school, I realized that most of the males hung around me because they thought that they might have a chance at me! :evil:

Now that I am married, my friends are female but they are not the high maintainance types and they are certainly not what I would call "typical"! I really miss male friendships but I do not think that they would work for me now.

Markendust

01 Jul 2006, 12:48 pm

Most my friends are female. I prefer that since girls are much easier for me to talk to and relate to.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2006, 5:00 am

Males are just so.. bitchy.

I meet the odd girl that's bitchy.. so I just give her the flick. But soooo many guys are just catty tarts.

ooh_choc
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2006, 8:18 pm

I'm male, and most of my friends are male. Nevertheless, I turn to females for emotional support.

I used to see unfamiliar males my age as threatening.

Perhaps gender differences can also make people less judgemental. Girls seem to make exceptions for guys, and vices versa.

edit: I also find girls are more likely to actually listen to me.

YellowBird
Raven
Raven

09 Jul 2006, 2:52 pm

I only have 3 people I consider friends. Each of which isn't exactly a typical guy (they're all male, and so am I). One is kinda feminine like me, sorta shy, and depression-prone. The other is already married and has a child on the way (he's in the Navy and is going to be shipped off to Iraq around December.) The last one I haven't spoken to or seen in ages, especially because he's in the Air Force.
I've never really had too many female friends. There was a girl when I was around 5 or 6 that was my friend, but she moved away, like the other friends I used to have.
I find my computer is among the best friends I have. But then again, I don't like people in general.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2006, 11:01 am

Almost all my friends are men. I find guys to be more up front in general than women, especially if there's no romantic relationship complicating matters. My friendships with women always seem to end, mostly with me wondering what happened. I think communication among NT women is extremely complicated, and that I'll probably never learn all the unwritten laws.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2006, 1:09 pm

I have both male and female friends (i'm a girl) though usually only one or two in number and i tend to get on much easier with men. I used to play d&d and was quite happy to be the only girl in the group. Men seem more likely to get me and not mind if i go on about my special interests. Also they seem more interested in fantasy/sci fi and logical ways of thinking.
The girls i know who are my friends are usually much harder to get along with and much more likely to comment or complain about my behaviour. Therefore i think i get on better with men, though i also get along a lot better with unusual people of both sexes. and i do enjoy interacting with both men and women.