Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is Prenatal Testing For Autism Akin to Germany in WWII and the Jewish?
Yes 51%  51%  [ 18 ]
No 49%  49%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 35

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af44Slin7lg[/youtube]

This has been a theme for some years. Is seeking to develop a test and enable the aborting of developing life tested with autism similar to WWII and the Jewish?

Nathan Young

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:30 pm

Of course it isn't. That's a ridiculous comparison

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzdvJg9W3Q[/youtube]

Some people really think otherwise.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2010, 2:52 pm

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 2:55 pm

Does anyone agree prenatal testing for autism is like Nazi's?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 5:28 pm

What testing would be available? As far as I know, this isn't a genetic defect, like Down's Syndrome.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 5:42 pm

I am not sure. I consider this issue at this point entirely social psychology least in how I view it.

If this issue upsets anyone I apologize. This issue needs to be openly discussed and emotions need to be heard and understood. Respected...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINig9kJC7o[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5u54iY6BFk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvIiYJznVFs[/youtube]

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:01 pm

I don't think anyone's suggesting we round up autistic people and gas them

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:03 pm

I don't think so. I don't feel threatened like that. Most of the videos and writing on the internet are about emotions. I will make an outline of theoretical reasons why people may feel this way eventually.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 6:33 pm

I say it depends on the purpose of the prenatal testing. If the parents want to know about their child's neurology so that they can be ready for parenting an autistic child ahead of time, it's a good thing. On the other hand, if the parents want to know so that they can get an abortion if the child is autistic, then it's a bad thing.

Watch Doctor Who!

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2010, 6:42 pm

ci wrote:

All I know is, forty years ago people with Downs syndrome were not an uncommon sight. Everybody knew at least one family with a mentally ret*d kid (that was the PC term in those days). Now that DS can be tested for in utero, you hardly ever see anyone with Downs at all anymore. So many potential parents have no idea what autism is, they just see kids on television who can't speak and just stim and bang their heads endlessly. So if you told them that their baby was going to be born with autism, they'd have a panic attack while running to the abortion clinic.

Quote:
Medical ethicist Ronald Green argues that parents have an obligation to avoid 'genetic harm' to their offspring, and Claire Rayner, then a patron of the Down's Syndrome Association, defended testing and abortion saying "The hard facts are that it is costly in terms of human effort, compassion, energy, and finite resources such as money, to care for individuals with handicaps... People who are not yet parents should ask themselves if they have the right to inflict such burdens on others, however willing they are themselves to take their share of the burden in the beginning."

Is that irony or what? 'avoid genetic harm to their offspring' - by KILLING them. Too expensive to live. Their lives will COST TOO MUCH. What exactly is a human life worth these days?

So yes, I think prenatal testing will be open season on autistic babies. They won't be able to kill 'em fast enough. So one day they can look around and say "See, no more autistic people! Hooray, we CURED autism!"

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 6:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvL0tj9ZaoY[/youtube]

I really like WWII history since very young. My favorite person in WWII is General Patton. His brute honesty and motivational style is how I like to advocate. As a result of my disabilities despite growing up in a military family they told me since young I cannot join the military. I think this is wrong and makes me feel as if I am useless.

Nathan Young

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2010, 7:01 pm

There were a lot of military men in my family, too, but when I was growing up the US was still drafting young men to send to Vietnam and I was terrified of turning 18. I would never have survived in a military environment, much less actual war. The pressure would have been overwhelming.

But I, too feel useless pretty much all the time.

Last edited by Avengilante on 11 Dec 2010, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 7:01 pm

Avengilante wrote:
ci wrote:

All I know is, forty years ago people with Downs syndrome were not an uncommon sight. Everybody knew at least one family with a mentally ret*d kid (that was the PC term in those days). Now that DS can be tested for in utero, you hardly ever see anyone with Downs at all anymore. So many potential parents have no idea what autism is, they just see kids on television who can't speak and just stim and bang their heads endlessly. So if you told them that their baby was going to be born with autism, they'd have a panic attack while running to the abortion clinic.

Quote:
Medical ethicist Ronald Green argues that parents have an obligation to avoid 'genetic harm' to their offspring, and Claire Rayner, then a patron of the Down's Syndrome Association, defended testing and abortion saying "The hard facts are that it is costly in terms of human effort, compassion, energy, and finite resources such as money, to care for individuals with handicaps... People who are not yet parents should ask themselves if they have the right to inflict such burdens on others, however willing they are themselves to take their share of the burden in the beginning."

Is that irony or what? 'avoid genetic harm to their offspring' - by KILLING them. Too expensive to live. Their lives will COST TOO MUCH. What exactly is a human life worth these days?

So yes, I think prenatal testing will be open season on autistic babies. They won't be able to kill 'em fast enough. So one day they can look around and say "See, no more autistic people! Hooray, we CURED autism!"

Completely agreed!

Watch Doctor Who!

ci
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:07 pm

Avengilante wrote:
There were a lot of military men in my family, too, but when I was growing up the US was still drafting young men to send to Vietnam and I was terrified of turning 18. I would never have survived in a military environment, much less actual war. The pressure would have been overwhelming.

But I, too feel useless pretty much all the time. More so every day. I kind of wish I would die in my sleep.

In response my congressman wrote a letter in reply. I asked that the SSI/SSDI used to help me would allow me to have a job for the federal government. I think I have more purpose then nothing better then sitting around. I have allot of mental strength and certain kinds of smarts.

http://www.compassionateintegrations.or ... mpson.html

That way if I work using the SSI/SSDI money to give to them the government will allow me to save my money and invest it as I see fit. To many human rights are removed. It is not fair.

Nathan Young

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 8:51 pm

I wonder if it would cause a huge uproar if they made a law to where if someone gets a prenatal test for any genetic condition, it is hereby illegal to abort said child? That would fix the problem.