Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 3:09 pm

I can't take this any more. I'm so glad for finals, but I don't know how much more longer I can survive in college. Its horrible. My journalism class was filled with people who blindly believed in what was written in front of them. None of them questioned anything. I can't take this...I can't. I need a class full of lengthy discussions instead of lecture, we have discussions which serve the same purpose of lecture. I need a class that allows me to question logic and question what is being studied.
I need something to logically stimulate my brain. I liked my summer course class. That's cause we debated, had class discussion, and a lot of the projects were hands on. In that Natural Resource class I was allowed to question theories and logic and we watched documentaries. I need more classes like that.
Sadly, I'm not going to get it. I don't want to go back next semester. But have to. Because its important to society and my parents. blah blah.

What do I do?

What do I do to stop myself from being unmotivated?

I began to skip more and more classes as the days went by because I can't take such a narrow view.

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2010, 4:25 pm

If you're studying journalism, you sound like your in the wrong field. I study chemical engineering and in my more advanced classes there has been emphasis on discussion and questioning, though it is sometimes difficult to get a lot of student participation.

Note that if you value independent thought and hands-on experience, you will probably do much better with your studying and questioning outside of classes. Try taking up a personal project or looking for student groups with similar interests.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 4:44 pm

Densaugeo wrote:
If you're studying journalism, you sound like your in the wrong field. I study chemical engineering and in my more advanced classes there has been emphasis on discussion and questioning, though it is sometimes difficult to get a lot of student participation.

Note that if you value independent thought and hands-on experience, you will probably do much better with your studying and questioning outside of classes. Try taking up a personal project or looking for student groups with similar interests.

Thanks that might work.

Also yeah...I already assumed journalism wasn't for me. To much social anxiety involved too.

Therefore, I'm going to try computer programming.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 7:57 pm

Clyde wrote:
Also yeah...I already assumed journalism wasn't for me. To much social anxiety involved too.

Therefore, I'm going to try computer programming.

I do computer programming. There is no discussion in that. It is only lecture and hands on. However, it is very hands-on and there is room for discussion out of class when designing software programs for efficiency.

But it is challenging and requires great brain stimulation and effort. If that is what you seek, by all means join.

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 8:04 pm

techn0teen wrote:
I do computer programming. There is no discussion in that. It is only lecture and hands on. However, it is very hands-on and there is room for discussion out of class when designing software programs for efficiency.

But it is challenging and requires great brain stimulation and effort. If that is what you seek, by all means join.

Absolutely what I'm looking for. I need something to stimulate my brain or I get bored.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 9:58 pm

- wrong thread