Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 7 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 5:05 pm

1. Balancing my checkbook in my head
2. I am quiet in groups
3. I am fascinated with transportation design

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 3:54 pm

Hi - I am Janicka as my login name suggests

Good traits: I speak 4 languages, play the violin, and like to photograph things from unusual perspectives. I also never had to study a day in my life and I am almost done with graduate school.

Bad traits: I get upset in social situations really easily. In fact, I try to avoid most social situations. I didn't have sex until I was 22 (though maybe in this day and age it isn't so bad). I'm really uncoordinated. I had to go to special gym class when I was in school. Obviously that made my social problems even worse.

Worst trait: I don't know how to tell my current beau that I love (or even like) him. When our dates end I usually hop in my car and drive off. Talk about having to do damage control.

Pheas
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Sep 2006, 4:13 pm

Hi, I am Pheas (say "fez").

I love anything to do with words or language (grammar, foreign languages, Scrabble, copyediting, puns, &c.).

I can spot a typo at 100 paces. Only in someone else's writing, though. :(

I've never been by myself long enough that I missed being around others in general -- I have missed specific people. I wonder whether I ever would feel lonely in that way.

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2006, 4:55 pm

Pheas wrote:
I love anything to do with words or language (grammar, foreign languages, Scrabble, copyediting, puns, &c.).

Words are beautifull :)

CaseyJ400
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2006, 9:07 am

When I first moved out on my own, I would have people, that claimed to be my friends, stop over unannounced, talk non-stop while they were there and wouldn't leave even though numerous hints were left. I finally got smart and decided to be a "great" hostess and went out of my way to make their stay at my house as Boring as possible. It worked. I made sure that there were no pictures on the walls or knick knacks or books on the bookcases for them to look at and comment on. Everything that I considered to be a "conversational" piece was placed in another room locked up. No one stayed long after that, I wonder why? I don't do that much anymore. I still keep some things hidden that I don't want others to see.

Another thing about myself is that I tend to react to people's news inappropriately. If someone tells me they lost their job, I will laugh. When I heard that Pluto may not be considered a planet anymore I cried. Nothing really excites me. People hate it when they ask me if I liked something and I say it's okay or I hated it. I never seem to say that something was great.

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2006, 9:54 am

CaseyJ400 wrote:
Nothing really excites me. People hate it when they ask me if I liked something and I say it's okay or I hated it. I never seem to say that something was great.

Same here. Like: 'Did you like the party?' 'Yeah (first, quick reaction. NTs hate slow reactions. always yeah. then I memorize some things) Well actually, there were some very boring and annoying things'

Also, Horror/thriller movies or something are boring as hell. Like: we were watching a thriller, that appeared to be a really great hit when it came out. My brothers and father watched it, and were 'scared' during the movie. My mother didn't even dare to watch it after the first 10 minutes. And I, well, I was laughing at all the conversations. There were funny as nothing else can be. I don't seem to be shocked by movies, unlike NTs. It's all fake, and still NTs get shocked. I don't see that point.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 1:37 pm

[quote="Pug]Also, Horror/thriller movies or something are boring as hell. Like: we were watching a thriller, that appeared to be a really great hit when it came out. My brothers and father watched it, and were 'scared' during the movie. My mother didn't even dare to watch it after the first 10 minutes. And I, well, I was laughing at all the conversations. There were funny as nothing else can be. I don't seem to be shocked by movies, unlike NTs. It's all fake, and still NTs get shocked. I don't see that point.[/quote]

ITA - I HATE horror movies. You can always see what's coming a mile away and it's fake. Same with romantic movies - why are the ladies always pretty and made-up and fall for a "perfect" guy. Mysteries that really make you think are OK. So are Woody Allen movies - he is really witty.

lawpoop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2006, 2:09 pm

When I look at numbers or letters, they clearly have a gender, and somewhat of a personality.

For instance, 4 is female, and nice, 9 is female, and a real b***h. 1 is male and a natural leader, 5 is male and a sneaky jerk and a liar.

Come to think of it, most of these characters are male. I consider about 10 letters to be female.

A childhood friend of mine told me that his character genders were from a children's puppet show. Perhaps there was a TV show on when I was a child that gave characteristics to these characters that I adopted.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 5:01 pm

I was so obsessed with Sainsbury's supermarket stores that on a week in London, all I did in my spare time was travel to, and visit, said Sainsbury's supermarket stores.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2006, 5:13 pm

I can't hear at all well in crowded, noisy places. Often when I'm in the pub and someone's talking to me, I don't seem to have a lot of clue about what they're saying. If someone shouts for me, I don't hear them until someone prods me into action. If there's noise, I can hear very little but that noise which is why, when I want to talk while the TV is on, I have to ask the person to turn it down so I can hear them properly. Which is more than a bit irritating for the other people watching, as you might imagine.

The closest thing I could compare it to is this: go in a crowded place (like a pub), set a tape recorder running and then start talking normally. When you get to a quieter place, listen to that recording. You'd be surprised. Whilst most normal might be about to filter it out, I can't. I just can't. :)

gumpetung
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2019, 6:12 am

My family and I live in a big house, and it is messy. I can walk thru the 10+ rooms in the house, and hours later e.g. my son can ask. "I cant find a wheel of one my many toy cars, where is it?.

I can wind back the footage of the rooms in my mind and be able to say exactly where it is. Applies to anything, not only toy cars :D

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 9:09 am

Tequila wrote:
I can't hear at all well in crowded, noisy places. Often when I'm in the pub and someone's talking to me, I don't seem to have a lot of clue about what they're saying. If someone shouts for me, I don't hear them until someone prods me into action. If there's noise, I can hear very little but that noise which is why, when I want to talk while the TV is on, I have to ask the person to turn it down so I can hear them properly. Which is more than a bit irritating for the other people watching, as you might imagine.

The closest thing I could compare it to is this: go in a crowded place (like a pub), set a tape recorder running and then start talking normally. When you get to a quieter place, listen to that recording. You'd be surprised. Whilst most normal might be about to filter it out, I can't. I just can't. :)

^I struggle with noisy places as well. The conversations begin to "smear" together and I fail to focus on just one. Social interaction is exhausting in itself. Add a noisy layer on top of that, and it is a complete disaster for me.

One fact about me:
My mother found out that I was hyperlexic when I was age 2-- when she caught me reading her romance novels aloud. I was a spelling and vocabulary whiz throughout my childhood, but my reading comprehension and listening skills were never THAT exceptional.

cactusman
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2019, 1:08 pm

I get "serial obsessions" where I will get obsessed with one topic or group of organisms for 4 to, oh, 16 months. Some examples are a particular genus of orchid, bee, beetle, ant or cactus, math topic like diophantine equations, non-abelian groups, chaotic difference equations, computer languages like rust or fortran or haskell or forth.

Each time I really think I have found my lifelong thing for sure, but experience shows it does not last. I am jealous of people who have devoted their life to a topic and made a real contribution, while I flit around and am a jack of all trades, master of none.

Although sometimes I love this about me. It is so much fun to immerse yourself in a topic and so wonderful to gain the understanding.

Sometimes I think I do it as a replacement for not having any close relationships outside of my kids, or even distant relationships, but I think it is just a symptom or superpower of myself.

But now I am into Astrophytum cacti, ring theory and harvester ants and I know I have found my thing finally! :/

--rob

--Basho (translated)

AugustD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2019, 8:09 pm

I have an extremely strong feeling for justice. I can't stand injustice. I makes me very upset; anxious even.

I write without typos (in 4 languages). Whilst reading someone else's text, after the third typo my attention is towards the next typo and no longer absorbing the text.

I never watch soaps, hardly ever watch movies, if anything: documentaries and infotainment.

It took me 5 tests to get my car license; twice to get my motorbike license. After getting my driver's licenses 40 years ago I got fined 4 times: 3 for speeding; 1 for parking.

I once had a very bad meltdown during which I cried for 24 hours in a row.

I'm not very talkative. More a listener. However, I am unable to follow any conversation in groups, hence withdrawn.

I have 1 friend. With him I share everything, except my wallet and my bed. The rest are either colleagues or acquaintances.

daytodawn
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2019, 11:11 am

Hey everyone! I am an undergraduate honors Psychology student with big plans to get my PhD in Clinical Psychology; I want to change the language we use to talk about autism in science so that we can be more inclusive, sensitive, and respectful!

As far as a fact about my autism, this is kind of an unusual one. I love spontaneity! Don't get me wrong, I need my routines. But I also lose interest in things quickly because I am a fast learner, so I try to budget my time to explore new things and to try new experiences in amongst my usual routines. I don't love change but I love growth and you can't have one without the other!

goaszw1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2019, 2:29 am

my Aspergers helps me to be frugal with my money.