Post ONE fact about yourself (and your asperger's)

Page 6 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Marius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2006, 4:15 am

Three facts,

I can visualise just about anything, even with minimal alternate sense cues (verbal, or tacile) or if I see the item, I can visualise what it would or will look like with just about any changes made to it.

I can remember almost any route I've taken more than once, without a need for a map.

I am pretty dysnumaric, ie I suck at basic maths or most anything with formulae or numbers.

AmyRose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2006, 5:26 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2006, 7:31 am

hey Marius

I'm really bad at basic math. I cannot do simple arithmetic in my head, basically anything with more than 1 digit is hard for me. :) I still count with my fingers and a few months ago I used to carry around a calculator with me all the time.

I'm 23 and have studied some complex stuff like maths and physics, but without my beloved adder-upper machine, I'd be useless.

emh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2006, 8:05 am

I have perfect pitch. I believe it is something which is more common among asperger people than the general population.

JJ
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2006, 12:22 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Programming languages are fantastic! HTML, CSS, Java and BASIC are good.

Yeah! But you forget Perl, C/C++, and PHP :) :)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 3:19 pm

Hi

I'm good at imitating voices/accents.It's something that those with AS are
said to have a talent for.

regards
Ian

chunkymicken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2006, 2:22 pm

I cannot listen to music if the volume is set to an odd number

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2006, 12:42 am

Good things:
I can memorize numbers and text extremely quickly, but for short periods of time and I have always been able to freehand draw copies of things I'm looking at without practice or training. I can't draw crap without a reference tho.

Bad things:
I got carried away here at first so I'm editing to shorten it.

As a teen, I would be extremely self-concious in stores because I was afraid people would think I might steal something. I wouldn't, but I worried they'd THINK I would. To this day I think I go overboard to prove my honesty to people.

For a long time in my youth, I would envision myself looking like whoever I was talking to at the time, imagining that they see me the same way I see them. It's like they're a mirror. It was very disorienting once I realized I was doing it, especially with women (seeing myself as female). I started making a concious effort to envision myself as myself (from memory) when I tried to imagine my own expressions and envision how they see me when I'm talking. Actually, I think I still do this... some.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 11:29 am

maygen wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch

Researchers have been trying to teach absolute pitch ability for more than a century[23], and various commercial absolute-pitch training courses have been offered to the public since the early 1900s[24]. It has been shown possible to learn the naming of tones later in life, although some consider this skill not to be true absolute pitch[25]. No training method for adults has yet been shown to produce abilities comparable to naturally-occurring absolute pitch[26].

if it isnt a gift then why cant they teach it?
maybe it isnt as rare as say growing a third leg but dont dis it please.

It's unusual in the general population, but amongst autties, I don't think it's especially rare at all. Not like every aspie has it of course. But for musical autties, I think its occurrence rate is much more common.

I definitely don't have perfect pitch. But then I'm not exactly a "musical" autty.

Definitely something to be proud of though. Unless you're in a room of autistics, most often it will be "rare".

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 12:01 pm

> I can fix some things yet I can break some things. For example, I can fix some errors on a computer, yet I can create and make some errors on a computer.

> I do not judge people immediately like NTs and as the phrase goes "tar everyone with the same brush." [Look up the meaning.]

> People think I'm lying by how modest my answer is.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 1:27 pm

I can recognise songs that I know from literally 2 seconds worth of playing max.
If I hear the voice of a singer I know, I know the singer instantly, even if I never heard the actual song before. If I hear lyrics or lines from a movie that I know, I can usually place it within seconds. I have about 2000 cds worth of music, all of which I can name within seconds of starting. I've got hundreds of movies and dozens of television series, all of which I know every second worth. And sophist, blackadder is one of those :D

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2006, 3:14 pm

A yes blackadder! Best series ever!

Anyway,
> I also don't judge people on first sight
> I always must tell the truth, I can't lie
> I don't like bullying other people, while the "social" NT's do

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 3:58 pm

Pug wrote:
A yes blackadder! Best series ever!

Anyway,
> I also don't judge people on first sight
> I always must tell the truth, I can't lie
> I don't like bullying other people, while the "social" NT's do

Glad to see that you don't bully others - I don't understand how it can be "cool" to bully...?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 2:44 pm

I have Obsessions that are strange and wonderful.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 2:48 pm

> If some NT is low, they can wind me up. If I was low, I wind them up, and they won't allow it and get me in trouble.

> In general when I'm low, I at least wind someone up or I wind up other forums. Not this one, because Wrongplanet is No.1. :P

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 5:05 pm

1. Balancing my checkbook in my head
2. I am quiet in groups
3. I am fascinated with transportation design