Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:51 pm

There's a review of "Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, The Overwhelmed, and The Underconnected." at http://www.opednews.com/articles/Zack-S ... 1-533.html

Thank you, Joan. Until now, networking has been positioned as a very extrovert-centric activity. All the standard 'rules' of networking feed into the extrovert's arena - surround yourself with others, maintain constant contact, attend as as many social events as possible, and be a whiz at small talk! Extroverts talk to think, energize around others, and go wide in their interests, [so] this version of networking works fine.

However, introverts think to talk, energize solo or one-on-one, and go for depth; we are like oil to vinegar for these kinds of rules! We feel inept because we cannot possibly shine by fighting our natural instincts and being phony.

Luckily, my new book introduces a whole new version of networking customized for introverts. Our previously labeled liabilities become our greatest networking strengths. Now, introverts can be confident, successful, authentic networkers.

That will be such a relief for all of the non-extroverts out there who were felling like failures! What are these formerly hidden or unappreciated strengths we have and can you give an example or two of how we can use them to our advantage?

Listening, for starters. A big misconception is you need to be a big talker to network. Au contraire! Listening - an introvert super-strength - is a much more useful skill. Truly focusing on another person and asking thoughtful questions is a missing element at all to many events and the best way to show (not tell) how fabulous you are.

Because 'going deep' is a defining characteristic, introverts naturally delve deeper into conversation and relationships than others. This means they tend to notice and respond to subtle non-verbal messages, while also driving conversation beyond the superficial. This talent, when tapped, is key to building rapport and longer lasting, meaningful relationships.

Less truly is more. Concluding a networking event with a few solid contacts is much more successful than weighing down your briefcase with a slew of undifferentiated business cards. Follow up is key, and personalized follow up is better - much more likely and manageable with fewer, deeper connections.

I was a DJ in college. This was a great job for me as an introvert who also loves music. Introverts prefer defined roles at events rather than milling aimlessly through a party, event, or conference. Being the DJ provided the platform of a specific role while enabling me to enjoy the event without needing to make small talk - everyone knows the DJ is busy playing music!

~~~~~~~~~

Well, it was definitely a fun read. At least part of that was due to the reassurance that I wasn't doomed just because I hate networking, or should I say, I hated networking.