Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:17 pm

there are so many out there i cant buy them all but i want to read them they arent going to have books like these in a regular library ( they should though)

the books im really interested in reading are
Lisa and the Lacemaker: An Asperger Adventure

Jackson Whole Wyoming

Ann Drew Jackson ( the sequel to the book above)

and various others these books are all listed on wrongplanet in the books section

the problem is i cant buy them because im probally going to only read it once or twice thern store it someplace. and i have no room for more books

is there any place i can read autism books online ? or like a library with only autism books?

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:46 pm

Don't know about online versions, but you could note the ISBN number(s) and look if you're local library has them or the networks they are connect to have them available for lendings from one library to another.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

I don't know what things are like where you are, since even in the US, I've learned that library systems are very different, and other countries are even more so. But many libraries do have a system of inter-library loans - ILLs - where you can get books your local library doesn't have. The first, and easiest, choice is to see if these books are held by any library within the network your library is a member of. (Most US libraries are members of county, regional, or state library networks.) The system I use lets you check into the network's web site, search for books in the system, and automatically request they be delivered to your library. Depending on where you live, this might or might not be an option for you. (The Northeast US and the US West Coast, at least the more urban areas, are pretty good about things like this, usually. The Midwest varies. In the South, most libraries seem to be woefully underfunded and so they struggle just to stay open at all. I'm less sure about the specifics of other countries, although what I know of the UK suggests they have a decent system.)

If the network doesn't have it, see if it is on WorldCat; if there's a library near enough, and they'll let you check items out, you could just go there. Or you could ask your librarian to obtain it on ILL from you (although they will decide which library to contact). Even if it isn't listed in WorldCat, all may not be lost. My library allows patrons to make specific requests, and will often buy the title if it is not available otherwise - and sometimes, they'll dig up what you need in the oddest places. I asked for an obscure roll of microfilm once, and they hunted it down for me. It took a few months, but was worth it. :D

If you don't have a good relationship with any of your librarians, and you're nervous about talking to them, most libraries have e-mail contact information (there are still a few that don't, very small rural ones :roll: ) so you could just e-mail them to explain what you're looking for, and ask if they can help. Or, if you have a friend that might be willing to ask them for you, that is another option. But, really, most librarians live to help their patrons get what they're looking for. It isn't a job anyone goes into for the pay, :? so they have to love what they do. Most of the librarians I know are more tenacious than the average pit bull. :lol: Which is great, since they're fighting for you, to get you what you want.

Whatever the specifics, though, if you want to do much reading and can't afford the cash / space for all the books, the answer is always to get to know your local library system, and what they can and cannot (and will and will not) do for you. In many places, you might be eligible to get library cards allowing you to use more than one library; I hold cards for my local library (and, by extension, the major network it is affiliated with) and for the library in the nearest major city and its network of affiliated libraries.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Last edited by theWanderer on 12 Dec 2010, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 8:05 pm

"Asperger's from the Inside Out" by Michael John Carley is excellent. I definitely recommend checking your local library for that one (I first found it at mine).

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 8:59 pm

Well at my apartment I collect books by autistic people. I once thought of lending them out but decided against it.