Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 10:13 pm

If there were a male AS and a female AS, I'm pretty sure I'd have the male variant. I relate to the men of WP much more than to the women.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:11 pm

I think whether or not you have a "male" version of AS or a "female" version depends on 1) your personality and 2) your environment/upbringing.

I do a lot of things which are stereotypically female and then some which are male. I chalk this up to my hormones being different (I am gay).

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

13 Dec 2010, 11:39 pm

Moog wrote:
ediself wrote:
zweisamkeit wrote:
Joy73 wrote:
It makes it clear how much of my personality is a syndrome of austistic traits.

i was thinking about this earlier. Makes me agree with people that are for Nature in the Nature vs. Nurture argument.
If there is a syndrome that covers every single quirk and trait that I have, there is nothing left of me personality wise.... In a way it is depressing.

My personality is the product of an intellectual disorder.

me too.... i was reading the female asperger traits earlier this week and everything, including my clothing style and the way i approach men, is in it....
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OJWZsdZiQSI/T ... 83e339.JPG

it's insane....i almost don't really exist.

'You' are the sum of your causes and conditions. In Buddhism this is called Anatta (no self)

It seems self negating, but It's actually liberating.

I read that list of syptoms...it is ultra weird, how I do my hair, wear my clothes, prefer to be asexual, my tomboyish ways, the way I can pull of a good act of socializing in small bursts, rather imature for my age, and dont like to do girly things, many specialized interests and can change them quickly...the wholr partial degree thing, dont do verbal instructions well at all. My love for art and psychology...is all girlly AS. I thought these thing made me a person not a disorder....I am just a bunch of cells with AS...depressing.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2010, 5:56 am

I think it's quite the opposite. Girls are more likely to have pervasive development disorder. These include motor delays, problems with coordination, executive dysfuntion, visual spatial disorientation, and various learning problems involving math and science, as well social difficulties although they desire social interaction more than their male counterparts. I think I have the male version although I'm female.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 6:23 am

jojobean wrote:

I read that list of syptoms...it is ultra weird, how I do my hair, wear my clothes, prefer to be asexual, my tomboyish ways, the way I can pull of a good act of socializing in small bursts, rather imature for my age, and dont like to do girly things, many specialized interests and can change them quickly...the wholr partial degree thing, dont do verbal instructions well at all. My love for art and psychology...is all girlly AS. I thought these thing made me a person not a disorder....I am just a bunch of cells with AS...depressing.

well that makes three of us already....i thought i was unique lol...guess i will have to really stop thinking about this. i can't reinvent myself, i can't change myself , get a proper degree instead of 3 halves , start wearing heels or whatever. i'm just this way. every item fits. i mean, can anyone else see how demoralizing this is? putting aside the "female AS doesn't exist as a separate thing"for a while,because the reactions here show clearly that it does, either this or we are triplets separated at birth...it seems to be even better defined than the male version of it. Every aspect is in there. it's extremely upsetting and weird, i can't seem to shake off the feeling of non existence.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Dec 2010, 6:50 am

ediself wrote:
jojobean wrote:

well that makes three of us already....i thought i was unique lol...guess i will have to really stop thinking about this. i can't reinvent myself, i can't change myself , get a proper degree instead of 3 halves , start wearing heels or whatever. i'm just this way. every item fits. i mean, can anyone else see how demoralizing this is? putting aside the "female AS doesn't exist as a separate thing"for a while,because the reactions here show clearly that it does, either this or we are triplets separated at birth...it seems to be even better defined than the male version of it. Every aspect is in there. it's extremely upsetting and weird, i can't seem to shake off the feeling of non existence.

It is really weird feeling like I am just a cluster of symptoms...I dont see how Buddhism thinks that "no self" is liberating. I do find some aspects of buddhism to be very liberating, but this no self thing is hard to deal with. I guess in a way it is kinda comforting cuz I fit smack square middle in the female AS trait thing cause I often wondered if I might not have AS cuz I dont have the same set of symptoms as the males do...not anymore. I guess I will try not to think about it too much, lest I drive myself insane or to enlightenment whichever one comes first.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 7:30 am

Thanks, everyone! With the exception of one or two things, that list describes me as well. I have one (1) male friend, and he's gay. I just can't be friends with regular straight guys, it seems. It's interesting that some of the men here have said that they feel the same way.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:24 am

ediself wrote:
zweisamkeit wrote:
Joy73 wrote:
It makes it clear how much of my personality is a syndrome of austistic traits.

i was thinking about this earlier. Makes me agree with people that are for Nature in the Nature vs. Nurture argument.
If there is a syndrome that covers every single quirk and trait that I have, there is nothing left of me personality wise.... In a way it is depressing.

My personality is the product of an intellectual disorder.

me too.... i was reading the female asperger traits earlier this week and everything, including my clothing style and the way i approach men, is in it....
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OJWZsdZiQSI/T ... 83e339.JPG

I just read this list too, sounds a lot like me. I think I even look like the girl on the original website http://help4aspergers.com/ . I don't feel discouraged by the list tho, there is still quite a few options in some of the descriptions, for example in the Intellectual/giftedness/education/vocation , also I think there should be a similar list for NTs, you would see that they also have predispositions and specific ways to do things due to being NT.

CWB
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2015, 12:02 am

I don't have great motor skills, never an athlete. I'm a lot older than most people here, but in the 80s, many girls didn't participate in sports so perhaps it just didn't come up the way it might for boys. I have zero sense of direction and get lost all the time, so much so that it has affected my life.
Does anyone else have that problem? "Rotating figures in space" problems or geometry or just trying to take a different route home -- it is a real disability for me.
I have an above average intelligence and several advanced degrees including a doctorate. Having an intense "focus" was actually a benefit to me and I was lucky enough to enter the world of online teaching so I don't have to leave my house. I can go weeks without leaving my house, but I'm not agoraphobic, I just prefer it.
My verbal skills are good, but I can't say whether I think I am average at perceiving or interpreting emotions. I suspect that I learned to observe people very closely and mimic what seemed appropriate - mostly what I saw on TV. I've been doing it as long as I can remember so I can give the impression that I am more "connected" than I probably am.
Another problem that affects my life is very sensitive hearing, but also at the same time, difficulty hearing. I have to watch someones mouth to "hear" them correctly, but high pitched or inconsistent sounds (like people on a talk show where the pitch and intensity varies a lot more than it would on a scripted show) make me want to hide in the bathroom, sit on the floor and rock back and forth. Anything like screeching makes me react poorly.

Does anyone else, particularly females, have 1. trouble with directions and spatial relationships. 2. painful hearing sensitivity.

If yes, how do you cope?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 6:36 am

I read once in a magazine that women with AS come across as very eccentric and displays traits of everything but AS. Like you can meet a woman with mild AS and think, ''is she Bipolar? Or ADHD? Or really anxious, depressed maybe? I don't know...''
But a man with AS come across as intelligent, ''geeky'' and exhibits more stereotypical AS traits, like having a special interest with World Of Warcraft or other (boring) stuff like that.

I may be wrong. I don't want to start a flame war. It's just what I've read, and also it seems to make sense in my experience I've had with meeting men and women on the spectrum.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 6:51 am

I'm glad this thread got revived. I'm male, but I can relate to this:

Quote:
•Fewer motor impairments
•Broader range of interests (though interests are unusually intense)
•Obsessions may not appear abnormal
•Drive to mimic others
•Cultural expectations are different for girls; shyness may be considered a positive trait
•Girls may tend to internalize feelings rather than acting out

That may be because, while I suspect my dad and I have undiagnosed Asperger's, I was definitely raised more by my mom. She's fairly social. This link posted,Female traits, is also pretty relatable to me. Then again, someone post a link to this woman's blog recently and seemed to think she didn't have Asperger's, so I'm not sure how much to trust this. I suppose the real point is that we're all raised a little differently, and that counts for something.