Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:23 pm

Simple quick question:

Would it be better to volunteer for some places first before trying to get a job?

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2010, 10:07 pm

If you have the time and you don't need the income, then absolutely. Find an unpaid internship - it will expose you to what the field is actually like, and if you do a good job, it puts you in a very good position for permanent hire.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 10:29 pm

I kind of do need the finances. Finally moving out of my secondary basement [ehhehehe internet joke]. I collected enough from my first job to at least get myself an actual live alone home. But...well...paying for it is the next thing.

bingomonkey926
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

I was a volunteer and still is at alocal nursing home before i found a job at the nursing home as an hospitatly aide. I love the residents and very likable by the residents and staff so they hired me as part time.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2011, 5:50 am

I like the notion of volunteering because I don't like the idea of starting a job 'cold'. A good way to deal with pre-job fear.

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 1:16 am

I really like the idea. :)
I would rather be doing that than sitting doing nothing. Find someplace you would like to work and offer your services for free :)
The only possible downside is if someone would take advatage of you, that is using you with no intention of ever compensating you for any effort of labor to their benefit.
Still you could gain experience and exposure through that experience. You can always quit at anytime.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2012, 7:59 am

greenturtle74 wrote:
If you have the time and you don't need the income, then absolutely. Find an unpaid internship - it will expose you to what the field is actually like, and if you do a good job, it puts you in a very good position for permanent hire.

This.

You could volunteer somewhere to get experience to list on a resume. A few weeks later, update your resume and start applying to jobs.

Or you could work somewhere at the lowest entry-level position and get experience to list on a resume.