Social Skills/Pragmatics is useless/dumbed down

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2010, 12:22 am

For those of you who have been forced to go to every social skill/pragmatics session. Did you find that it was ineffective often reduced to the lowest common denominator. Life situations are very complex and unpredictable and Social Pragmatists can not possibly predict and prepare you.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2010, 1:29 am

I agree. That is one reason why I opted out of it in high school.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2010, 2:34 am

I opted out of it in eighth grade. The school made me see a soul sucking psychologist instead. They forced me to get involved in extra curriculars to "expand my horizons" and experience the full social scene. When I got a babysitting gig and decided I would prefer to spend my friday afternoons doing that, I was unexpectedly pulled out of class by my psychologist and given a lecture.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Dec 2010, 3:29 am

I always thought it seemed too rehersed and kinda not with the current social trends of behavior...almost like behavior that would have been acceptable in the 1950's. Sometimes I think that they think since we dont know what the social rules are that they are going to mold us into ideal citizens, not really prepare us for the real world.

shibashaba
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2010, 3:49 am

I've noticed the more I act normal at first only leads me to letting people down or really pissing them off in the near future when my true self comes out. Now I just be myself and try to be considerate of other peoples emotions.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2010, 4:22 am

"I always thought it seemed too rehersed and kinda not with the current social trends of behavior...almost like behavior that would have been acceptable in the 1950's."

Exactly. My fourth grade Social Pragmatics teacher was in her 60's so she taught me to behave as if I were in the 1950's. That only made it much worse.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 7:23 am

I would get kicked out of such a thing. I would so aggravate the staff because of my incessant demands for relevancy and consistency they would have me banned.