Where did you get your taste in men/women?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2010, 7:21 am

I was just wondering about this one.

For me, it has been for the most part a mix of two things....

1. Personal life experiences (e.g. my own mother and past sweethearts) as it happens I was brought up in a happy home and had a fairly sheltered childhood, also I was brought up in a middle class home so clam, posh and well spoken girls always go down well with me.

2. The movies TV programs, books and comics that I often watch and read! As I'm VERY into retro entertainment I'm not the worlds biggest fan of the more 'modern' kinds of women that are often so popular nowadays. Although this did mean that I had a little difficulty finding some one to my taste at first, after I gave this a LOT of thought on the matter I came to the conclusion that rather than just look for the superficial stuff (i.e. manner of dress, slang and the like) that I liked about girls from movies of the 1960's I began to think about the more fundamental things that I liked (a fun loving and positive world view) that I knew I'd find a LOT easier to find as they are part of human nature and completely timeless.

As a side note, I must admit that (at one time anyway) I'd have been perfectly happy 'moulding' a girl into being or rather pretending to be 'perfect' (how I'd have got a girl to do this is another matter, but needless to say I'd have only done this with a girl who was willing and close enough to my 'perfect woman' if I were to do this) and I'm quite sure that I'd have loved her, after all she'd have been DOING what was needed to make her 'sexy' (to me which I'm sure that many other men using this site would agree with me on what I think sexy girl is) and fun to be with, as it happened I did not need to do this, but if it ever came to it (which is highly unlikely as my GF is unlikely to change into someone I do not think is attractive or likeable) I'd at least think about trying this out (I'd try to pitch it to her in a way that she was OK with)

Some may say that this is wrong, but if done long enough mimicking another can change you into another kind of person, via force of habit.

Hmm I may call her tonight about this... (only kiddding)

Anyway feel free to comment and give me your views if you like.

Goodbye Till Next Time

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:31 am

At the grocery store

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 9:56 am

Tom Baker. 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:00 am

By looking at my own body type, in the mirror. I like my guys to be on the chubby side, but not obese.

If I ever did find Mr. Right, I wouldn't want to suffocate him and crush his bones, nor would I want him doing that to me, so I think it would be ideal for Mr. Right and I to be the same size.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 10:10 am

boosterjones wrote:
Some may say that this is wrong, but if done long enough mimicking another can change you into another kind of person, via force of habit.

Everybody can modify bad habits and behaviours and learn self discipline and it's a shame so few people are willing to improve themselves.

But nobody can change who you really are, although you can be forced or pressured into pretending to be something you're not. Mimicking and pretending without letting your true nature/personality manifest itself will suffocate you and slowly kill you inside. Not being true to one's self and betraying one's identity is a terrible form of inner mutilation.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 11:54 am

I saw some of the Blondie music videos and I developed an obsession with Debbie Harry. Something in my head switched on and I became very attracted to the bleached blond type, even though I know it's not the real color. Then I realized that a lot of women who do this are signalling with it that they're doing a lot of negative things like drugs, smoking and being promiscuous. Many women who bleach their hair do drugs and never have kids because they're depressed and unhealthy, including Debbie Harry and Marylin Monroe, so that obsession died out and now I'm back to where I was before. Also, because so many young women do this, and I've met a few who were jerks too, it's no longer a unique thing.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:01 am

when my little head aroused to randy adult sentience at puberty, it came pre-loaded with its own entertainment preferences, and my big head had very little to say about it.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:48 am

Some is common sense. The rest, I have no idea.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:54 am

sgrannel wrote:
Many women who bleach their hair do drugs and never have kids because they're depressed and unhealthy, including Debbie Harry and Marylin Monroe

Pffft... I'm not a fan of drugs, but if anyone knows a really good way to spot women who don't want kids, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2010, 10:34 am

I got my taste from 1 woman in particular who was in my class. We got along well and we saw each other pretty much all day seeing as went to school and came back home together. Before her I didn't know what type I was attracted to but from that moment on I knew what kinda girl I wanted.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

eBay, it's where I buy everything these days :P

Nah, it's natural, I didn't really get it from anywhere.

billsmithglendale
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:31 pm

I would say that for me, it is a mixture of how my parents are, and the kind of people I grew up around, including any ethnic details thereof. It also reflects positive feedback in terms of who I was successful with -- after a while, I realized I did well with X type of person and that my relative value was higher with women of color, so I go where the market is.

Example --

My parents are both kind of nerdy and eccentric -- anyone that I was going to really be happy with long term (and not just superficially infatuated with) was going to have to share some of my nerdy and eccentric interests and qualities. In other words, someone who is ok with going outside of the canned, mediocre content we are all sold every day.

Ethnicity --

When I was growing up, I was initially attracted to what everyone else seems to be attracted to, white girls with blonde hair. Some of this is from conditioning - our media constantly pushes a certain image to the rest of the world in terms of what is supposed to be desirable in a woman. But this is just part of it -- some of it is just that blonde happens to be considered universally attractive (there is evidence women have been bleaching their hair since the ancient Persian empire), and some of it is genetic attraction -- I'm tall and blond, so it would make sense that I would be attracted to someone who looks like me.

But -- that wasn't how things went. Instead, I found that a lot of women of color were attracted to me, and wanted me more than their white counterparts. Lots of reasons for this, which we can cover separately -- but basically, I went where the market was, and my success there shaped my tastes in almost a Pavlovian way. So, because of this, all of the women I have dated have looked almost identical -- black hair, asian-looking eyes, shorter stature.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:26 pm

Watch a documentary called: The Biology of Dads.

Then you'll really know where you get your match. At least for those who had a dad. It states in the show if they lived by a single parent, the child would take that single parent on as both roles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rvv6t

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:34 pm

Hard to say. The women I met mostly, with some small influence from the media.

When I was growing up my type were petite hotties with long straight hair. There were several at my school. I had a crush on all of them. :) I was too shy back then to talk to them though, let alone ask them out.

Somewhere along the way I attracted taller women. I'm 6-2. So tall slender women became my type.

Then a buddy of mine told me to checkout Evangeline Lilly on Google. OMG! :oops: I became a big fan of sporty girls with dark hair.

Then I dated a Korean woman and we clicked sooooo well. Of course I started chasing after Asian women.

Nowadays it doesn't really matter as long as she's in shape and doesn't have too big a chest. (Huge b00bs and a big butt/thighs are a huge turnoff for me.)

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:53 pm

By learning the hard way to be skeptical of popular, social, extroverts.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:59 pm

Sumeria