Jesus's grandparents were Jewish, not Christian

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:36 pm

There are those who hold that Jesus was just a nice Jewish boy who went into His Father's business...

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:45 pm

pgd wrote:
It's pretty clear that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was Jewish and her father and her mother were Jewish. Did Jesus ever complain about his grandparents (Mary's parents) being Jewish and not Christian and did Jesus threaten Mary's parents with eternal damnation if they did not convert to Christianity? What does the Bible say? Do the Mormons of Utah who trace geneologies back almost forever know what actually happened years ago in Israel?

Not only was Jesus himself a Jew, he still is a Jew, and even more to the point, hes the King of the Jews, the root of Jesse, his lineage goes back to King David to whom God promised thier would be a King over Israel from his lineage.
The Jews where without a King from when Nebuchadnezzar took the Jews into thier 70 year captivity, but the weeks of years prophesy from the Prophets promised the coming of the Messiah occurring right when it did.

Jesus wasnt just King of the Jews however, but of all Israel, he stated that he had come to call the Lost Sheep of Israel.
In Revelation chapter 14, 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel stand with King Jesus as brothers to rule over the Earth, the fullfillment of the promise God made to Abraham that his seed would rule the Earth.

The offer that was made to the Jews was only open to Gentiles because most of the Jews rejected him, hense the parable of the marriage feast where because those invited didnt turn up, any old Tom Dick and Harry from the street was invited to take thier place.
But the Christian scriptures do say that the Gentiles are a foriegn branch grafted onto the vine, and that God would much rather have the true vine, ie the Jews.
There is also a scripture that says when the full number of the Gentiles is reached, God will open up the hearts of Jews to have another chance to accept thier King.

By the way, most of the early Christians where Jewish, Jesus himself only preached to Israel, it was only when Peter had the vision of the unclean foods that the message was open up to the Gentiles.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 4:10 am

russell wrote:
His name was Christ, not Christowitz........

nice try. :wink:

Actually his name was y'shuah bar rev yosef

ruveyn

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 6:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
russell wrote:

ruveyn

I was about to respond and say something similar, but you're more the expert when it comes to that.

The only word I don't know is "rev." What is that?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 10:20 am

Dare I chuck in the titbit that Muhammad's parents were polytheistic idolaters?

And Gautama's parents were definitely unenlightened.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 10:47 am

AngelRho wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
russell wrote:

ruveyn

I was about to respond and say something similar, but you're more the expert when it comes to that.

The only word I don't know is "rev." What is that?

The honorable or honored Joseph. Joseph was a saint. He did not divorce his pregnant betrothed Miriam.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 2:53 pm

" Jesus threaten Mary's parents with eternal damnation if they did not convert to Christianity?"

I am but a poor sinner, my higher self dragged down by my flesh, and sometimes I yield to temptation.

Of course, Mary's parents were grandfathered in.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2010, 4:33 pm

pgd wrote:
It's pretty clear that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was Jewish and her father and her mother were Jewish. Did Jesus ever complain about his grandparents (Mary's parents) being Jewish and not Christian and did Jesus threaten Mary's parents with eternal damnation if they did not convert to Christianity? What does the Bible say? Do the Mormons of Utah who trace geneologies back almost forever know what actually happened years ago in Israel?

Naw. Jesus wouldn't threaten anybody and he never knew what Christianity was because it never existed until after he died and rose again to Heaven. So no, he wouldn't complain about his grandparents being Jewish. He would however complain to the Jewish Pharisees for being religious hypocrites.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 10:58 pm

Now this one, while slightly silly, was not really stupid.