Asperger's eliminated from the DSM V?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 2:58 pm

Rumor has it it's simply going to be merged into the category of "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

How does this make you feel?

Combo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2010, 3:01 pm

Makes sense I guess. The name 'Asperger's' will probably still be used for a long time though (sort of like how malaria's name hasn't changed despite people realizing over a hundred years ago that it wasn't caused by mal-air/bad air).

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2010, 3:39 pm

I'm torn, to be honest. One the one hand, it's good to see how everything is all part of the spectrum so there isn't this perception of Autism as everyone is like that "Rain Man" movie. On the other hand, I think the language/speech differences warrant a distinction. Guess we'll see--some Dx in the DSM IV have a broad category and then further specific things. So if it's done like that, that might be good.

Labels don't really mean much anyway--they are somewhat helpful for communication among professionals (teachers, doctors, psychologists, etc) but don't really do much in the real world.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 3:41 pm

HEY EVERYBODY ASPERGERS HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM DSM 5!! !! !

We've had, literally, dozens of these topics.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:07 pm

I'm fine with it. I use the terms "Asperger's" and "high-functioning autism" interchangeably. Personally I don't see any real difference between AS and other types of high-functioning autism.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:15 pm

I'm fine with it too. I'm tired of "autism with normal-ish speech development early on" as being a separate name. It makes no sense.

But I don't use "Asperger's" and "high functioning autism" interchangeably, because I don't view "high functioning" (or any other "functioning") as a valid way of describing autistic people. Usually I just say "autism" for everyone, including AS, unless I'm saying someone's diagnosed with or identifies as AS for some reason. If I want to talk about autistic people with a specific set of abilities, I just name which abilities I'm talking about (very specifically).

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:24 pm

I'm totally fine with it, AS can die a horrible death for all I care.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 4:28 pm

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:27 pm

Since doctors don't follow the DSM criteria anyway, what the heck. I'm fine with it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Since doctors don't follow the DSM criteria anyway, what the heck. I'm fine with it.

So all diagnosis's of Asperger Syndrome are immoral and illegal then! 8O

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:34 pm

Craig28 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

So all diagnosis's of Asperger Syndrome are immoral and illegal then! 8O

How do you get immoral and illegal from that? The DSM is a collection of consensus opinions amongst a set of doctors. That's why it gets revised from time to time. They change their opinions. It's not a legally binding document.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:38 pm

I thought it was a moral code. Well, those "opinions" that doctors have on AS are the ones that are causing divisions in the medical world. Meanwhile, us AS as*holes are suffering while they troll back and forth.

Do what I do: Rubbish the condition and just get on with life.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:49 pm

Craig28 wrote:

Denial isn't workable. How about tossing the labels but learning as much as possible about yourself?

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 5:52 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Craig28 wrote:

Denial isn't workable.

You being an undiagnosed Aspie and me being a diagnosed Aspie, I can see that our opinions are largely different. Even if you do get a diagnosis, remember that AS contain three levels of intelligence. Even then our opinions are gonna be different even if we are on the same level of intelligence.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 6:07 pm

I'm diagnosed with Aspergers, and I stopped caring about it about 3 years ago...which is also around the same time I got happier.

I've also been diagnosed with being white, male, and physically attractive, among other things.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 6:12 pm

Craig28 wrote:
I thought it was a moral code. Well, those "opinions" that doctors have on AS are the ones that are causing divisions in the medical world. Meanwhile, us AS as*holes are suffering while they troll back and forth.

It isn't a moral code. It's an attempt to categorize people based on problematic things they have in common with each other. Whether those things are inherently problematic or problematic because of the enviroment is a whole other debate. But it's really all just about categories and what the parameters of those categories should be. Yes, it causes divisions in the medical world. A lot of those divisions don't have anything to do with autism at all. ADHD and childhood bipolar disorder are causing huge divisions among doctors right now. But in any case I don't see how where they put their parameters will cause you suffering unless you are suddenly placed outside of them and can't get any accomodations (that's a worry that got brought up in previous threads).

If you are in a position to be able to just ignore the condition and get on with life then why be upset at the doctors? Their categories won't affect you.

Last edited by Janissy on 15 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.