Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

focusfactor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2010, 8:51 am

What kind of drugs might we take that make us different in a good way? Ive done weed many times in my life but does anyone here have experience with other drugs like shrooms or anything else that changed you? also explain to me how it made you feel

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 8:32 am

Well, drugs such as ecstasy and alcohol could make an aspie more talkative or less anxious in social situations. I think with weed, it depends on the person/situation.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2010, 5:30 am

What I found out in my early 20's is this: you can gain more insight into who you are in your sober life in general as its a way to get an almost third person sense of yourself, ie. your brain chemistry and way of feeling life changes significantly enough that you can tell what is sheer habit, what's really you and what isn't, it can be useful in that regard as well as making progress at understanding NT's at a core level. I remember when I did trip I really did come close to losing my AS for perhaps six hours at a time, the trouble is yes - the extra added brain chemicals can be used and you can snapped into something like a stronger state of sobriety (if you didn't eat a ten-strip that is), you can feel much more empowered - particularly on the social end (ie. you feel both very in control and like a walking razor), but, that feeling is not something you can take back with you as the level of chemistry you'll have isn't within your genetic frame. Sure, you can learn a lot of things through occasional use but never, ever, try to problem solve on an ongoing basis. Sure, a drink at the bar to loosen up is fine, street drugs though - you've got both the law and with the right substances the possibility of shady manufacturing that you have to deal with. Enough people will chose to explore themselves and their own potential in this way but - they really need to know how to both watch their backs and be ultra-responsible with their use. For anyone who can't do both of those I strongly advise against it.

As for something helpful on an ongoing basis though? No. There are many psychiatric drugs for issues that can be comorbid to AS, marijuana can fit into that category as well based on come individual's brain chemistry, that's pretty much it.

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2010, 10:26 am

These are my opinions on various drugs.

Alcohol - This makes me feel more social and act more neurotypical. I generally become less neurotic, and I, personally, don't suffer major lapses of judgement. I can interact with sober people completely smashed without them ever noticing (as long as they don't smell it), while when I'm sober, they often think that I'm on some sort of drug.

The problem is, this drug does a lot of harm to the body and should be used very sparingly. I try to keep it under six drinks a week, never having more than four in an evening (including parties) except for very special occasions.

Cannabis - This drug is nothing short of amazing. My best insight and ideas for research usually happen on this drug (I write them down and consider them the next day). It doesn't help with my social interaction, and it can cause anxiety if I'm around people I'm not comfortable with. As long as you don't have an underlying psychotic disorder, this is astoundingly safe.

The only downside is that it causes a burnout feeling the day after. Because of this, I usually restrict my consumption for days that aren't before school or work.

Caffeine - This drug increases my ability to focus on individual things, but generally makes my mind work on only one track. It also keeps me alert throughout the day.

The downsides are that it causes sleep problems and makes me a little more neurotic than usual. It is also quite addictive, especially considering its nasty feedback loop that makes you more tired the next day, prompting you to drink more caffeine.

Nicotine - I was a smoker for a few months, but after researching the negative effects, I forced myself to quit entirely while I still could. Each cigarette brings a brief relaxed euphoria that can help with social interaction.

However, there are too many downsides to list. This drug is highly addictive and the withdrawal symptoms are hellish. The addiction really creeps up on you. I would recommend never smoking a cigarette.

Amphetamine - I am prescribed a daily 15mg dose of Adderall for my ADHD symptoms. When I am on this, everything seems to go perfectly. I'm able to focus better in conversation, I can focus on things that don't interest me, and when I'm working on my special interest, it's that much better.

The downsides are that I feel dependent on it, if I miss a dose I become extremely fatigued, and it has a subtle (but nasty) comedown.

I purposely avoid opiates, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, cocaine, dissociatives, and stronger psychedelics. As someone who has terrible anxiety in social situations, I know that muscle relaxants would be far too difficult for me to control. I think that dissociatives and opiates are just bad news with very little to gain, unless you're in a lot of physical pain. I also think that my psychology is too fragile to handle stronger psychedelics, so I've decided not to take that road.