Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:53 am

What do you believe is classed as a narrow interest, could it be possible a narrow interest can turn into a social oppontunty.

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 12:45 pm

Back before they started blurring the lines between AS and HFA, a narrow interest for an Aspie was described as:

1. something that demands an extraordinary amount of the individual's time, thoughts and energy
2. a source of stress or frustration if the individual is not allowed to pursue it, but the individual could voluntarily pull themselves away from it if asked (unlike an OCD obsession)
3. something in which the individual was unusually motivated to become proficient at, very knowledgeable about or an expert in, rather than something they simply enjoy a lot--I remember this was why AS used to be nicknamed the "little professor syndrome" because we as kids would have tons of info about our interest memorized and could recite by rote. like we were giving people a lecture
4. due to this level of expertise, it that could provide the individual a means of employment or social acceptance down the line, despite social deficits
5. could be anything, but often times the interest seems narrow or unusual to others. Most frequently it is an interest in something involving systems or systematic or scientific thinking, i.e math, computers, transportation. One of my Aspie interest as a kid was horses--typical of Aspie girls--but unlike other girls who loved how pretty horses were, I was far more interested in knowing all the breeds and how they differed and where the came from, horse anatomy, horse genetics, horse evolution. I was far more scientific in my interest in horses than your typical girl

That's how it was defined when I was dx'd back in the late 90's. Now it seems like it's just anything that you are obsessed with, even if it's just a escapist activity, like indulging in anime or video games so to avoid the real world. :roll:

But my griping and complaining aside--yes, an Aspie interest could be something that could help you socialize and create social opportunities. Throughout university I relied on my Aspie interests in music, literature, philosophy and theology to not only socialize but get employment. I couldn't talk to people for the first few years of university unless it was about one of my Aspie interest. All my jobs that I had back hen stemmed from my Aspie interests. But now I don't live somewhere where that sort of knowledge is considerable very important and I struggle to find work and I never socialize with anyone anymore, except online.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 12:50 pm

woodss82 wrote:
What do you believe is classed as a narrow interest, could it be possible a narrow interest can turn into a social oppontunty.

all my interests have turned into social opps or job opps. I started being focused on computers and programming which turned into a career. Now I play classical guitar which gives me a specific circle of friends and I also do training/nutrition whch gives me another circle of friends. I did horses for awhile and gained friends doing that too. All good stuff.

Ask me about TV, current events, weather or any other thing and my eyes completly glaze over. If it ain't about my "thing" it just doesn't even register.... I think that when you do anything so deeply to the exclusion of nearly everything else in your life that it qualifies as a "narrow" interest.

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:06 pm

I have focused on computers and laser printers, for which has turned into a social opp.
I think many people have narrow interests even if they not Aspies.

At the time of my Aspie diagnosed "2003", I had a obsession with printers even though it died down a bit, and I turned into social 2004 onwards, I enjoyed camps during my early 20s, youth camps, rallies etc, social events, I wish I went to more, but due to time factors.

My dad has a narrow interest with massey fergie tractors, it seems most Aspies have a obsession of some sort

People with Autism are often alienated with "normal people" or teased but i challenge any doctor who deal with AS or A to define normal.

Last edited by woodss82 on 17 Dec 2010, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:12 pm

Mercurial wrote:
Back before they started blurring the lines between AS and HFA, a narrow interest for an Aspie was described as:

Both in ICD-10 and DSM-IV, the criteria for narrow interest in Autism and AS is described using exactly the same words; more, in ICD they say "same criteria as for autism".

Then, I think the nature of narrow interest are not supposed to be a differentiating factor between HFA and AS.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Dec 2010, 1:20 pm

Mercurial wrote:

A couple of my interests are definitely escapist, but also fit the criteria you list here. Also, I was able to translate one, almost two, of my escapist interests into income (gaming, a particular television series). I am looking at working on a third (science fiction and fantasy fiction) in the near future. Perhaps I misunderstood the focus of your statement about escapist interests?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:23 pm

Would an interest in box canyons of a height to width ratio of greater than 2 be considered narrow?

Last edited by wavefreak58 on 17 Dec 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:24 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Mercurial wrote:

A couple of my interests are definitely escapist, but also fit the criteria you list here. Also, I was able to translate one, almost two, of my escapist interests into income (gaming, a particular television series). I am looking at working on a third (science fiction and fantasy fiction) in the near future. Perhaps I misunderstood the focus of your statement about escapist interests?

I'm convinced that doctors make up disorders just to create their own incomes at expense with another person, its a con in my opinion.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Dec 2010, 1:29 pm

woodss82 wrote:
I'm convinced that doctors make up disorders just to create their own incomes at expense with another person, its a con in my opinion.

I don't believe this is the case. The majority of disorders described in the DSM are evidence-based, even if some are based on outdated assumptions.

Do you have any particular disorders in mind as manufactured?

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:33 pm

Verdandi wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

I don't believe this is the case. The majority of disorders described in the DSM are evidence-based, even if some are based on outdated assumptions.

I think people can pick up AS-like behaviors and end up getting diagnosed, even though that they can exbit those characteristics, think of this people if they are clever enough can manufacture these behaviours just to get social security disablity pensions.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:43 pm

woodss82 wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

I think people can pick up AS-like behaviors and end up getting diagnosed, even though that they can exbit those characteristics, think of this people if they are clever enough can manufacture these behaviours just to get social security disablity pensions.

You really think it's that easy to fake? Are the psychologists getting kickbacks or something?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 1:49 pm

woodss82 wrote:

Could you place this in context with my post about my interests?