Page 1 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

emp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:55 am

These children have cancer. What sort of god allows children to suffer from cancer? And to die horrible slow deaths from cancer?

Is god punishing these children? Is he neglecting them? Does he lack the power necessary to help them? Do these children deserve to suffer from cancer?

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2006, 8:08 am

Are you struggling with your faith, or just out to annoy Christians?

emp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 8:19 am

klassobanieras wrote:
Are you struggling with your faith, or just out to annoy Christians?

The questions I ask are legitimate and serious questions. This is not an attempt to annoy Christians (it probably will annoy them, but that is not the goal here).

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 8:31 am

No, your goal is to keep bashing people for merely having a strong belief in God. I just cannot figure out why you have such a problem with people who do believe. Then use these pictures of kids dying to futher your agenda is pretty low.
After reading your latest post, we now know how gonad-less you really are.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 8:33 am

It seems to me, from what I have read in the media, and as a Canadian, that your anti-Christian views are a response to the cultural war going on in the US between the Christian Right who support Bush and those who do not. Isn't that what this is really about? I do think it might be more useful if you could post about the kind of society that you would prefer, the principles you believe in, and in experientally based posts rather than purely ideological ones. Right now this whole debate is polarized between two extreme views which makes it boring and irrational. .

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2006, 9:54 am

Ok, if it's a serious question then here's a serious answer.

God, and what he does or doesn't do, is generally considered to be beyond human understanding. Maybe it isn't important that we live full and happy lives. Maybe what makes humans special is free-will, and guaranteeing us long and untroubled lives would somehow diminish that. Maybe those kids are going to have an eternity of bliss to make up for the crappy cards they got dealt in this life. Or maybe understanding the answer is entirely beyond us. If you start from a position of faith in an unknowable God, it really isn't much of a stretch to get to any of these answers.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 1:19 pm

klassobanieras wrote:
Ok, if it's a serious question then here's a serious answer.

God, and what he does or doesn't do, is generally considered to be beyond human understanding. Maybe it isn't important that we live full and happy lives. Maybe what makes humans special is free-will, and guaranteeing us long and untroubled lives would somehow diminish that. Maybe those kids are going to have an eternity of bliss to make up for the crappy cards they got dealt in this life. Or maybe understanding the answer is entirely beyond us. If you start from a position of faith in an unknowable God, it really isn't much of a stretch to get to any of these answers.

That's your serious answer? You can give something more definitive then, "I have no ****ing clue," can't you? Next time I want something more than "God just took a **** on those kids."

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 1:40 pm

klassobanieras wrote:
God, and what he does or doesn't do, is generally considered to be beyond human understanding. Maybe it isn't important that we live full and happy lives.

I'm not here to insult anyone's beliefs, but if I were dying of cancer and someone said that to me he'd get a face full of whatever I was drinking at the time. Hopefully coffee or hot cocoa.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2006, 1:44 pm

Quote:
That's your serious answer? You can give something more definitive then, "I have no ****ing clue," can't you? Next time I want something more than "God just took a **** on those kids."

I'm having trouble extracting any kind of content from what you posted. Were you trying to make some kind of point, or just venting?

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 1:46 pm

You're answer was vague and predictable. I want an answer that consists of something beyond telling me that you don't know and can't know. If you don't/can't know, don't answer.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 7:59 pm

emp wrote:
I was even sent to a religious school and forced to study the Christian Bible. I am more familiar with it than you are. I have spent considerable time studying this book.
emp, I think you know the answer to your own question. And if you don't, there was a place to ask it.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2006, 9:11 pm

666 wrote:
I'm not here to insult anyone's beliefs, but if I were dying of cancer and someone said that to me he'd get a face full of whatever I was drinking at the time. Hopefully coffee or hot cocoa.

The question was not on how to console the terminally ill.

subatai_baadur wrote:
You're answer was vague and predictable. I want an answer that consists of something beyond telling me that you don't know and can't know. If you don't/can't know, don't answer.

If "you cannot know" is a valid answer in subatomic physics, why not religion?

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2006, 5:35 pm

klassobanieras wrote:
The question was not on how to console the terminally ill.

If someone said that to me under any circumstance, he'd get a face full of whatever I was drinking at the time. Hopefully coffee or hot cocoa. There, is that better?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 6:06 pm

I'm not sure whether a God exists or not, but I won't believe in a God that would punish people. God is the creator and has no reason to punish people when God understands people most.

For example, a mother may get p***ed off at her child for not getting good grades, but the mother doesn't understand how the child feels. The child may feel very overwhelmed by work and gives in to computer addiction.

The mother thinks that the child doesn't care about his/her grades, but in reality, the child may feel weak for being addicted to the computer and finding work overwhelming. As a result, the mother punishes the child by taking the monitor away.

The mother doesn't understand how the child feels and the child doesn't understand why the mother doesn't understand him/her. The reason the child is getting punished is due to the mother's lack of understanding. God however, understands both people and know a lot more about them than anyone living on the earth.

This is why I refuse to believe in a God that punishes people.

As for why a God would let people get cancer: The answer is beyond our limited knowledge and imagination. Maybe God is a creator and not a modifier?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2006, 6:49 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
I'm not sure whether a God exists or not, but I won't believe in a God that would punish people. God is the creator and has no reason to punish people when God understands people most.

For example, a mother may get p***ed off at her child for not getting good grades, but the mother doesn't understand how the child feels. The child may feel very overwhelmed by work and gives in to computer addiction.

The mother thinks that the child doesn't care about his/her grades, but in reality, the child may feel weak for being addicted to the computer and finding work overwhelming. As a result, the mother punishes the child by taking the monitor away.

The mother doesn't understand how the child feels and the child doesn't understand why the mother doesn't understand him/her. The reason the child is getting punished is due to the mother's lack of understanding. God however, understands both people and know a lot more about them than anyone living on the earth.

This is why I refuse to believe in a God that punishes people.

As for why a God would let people get cancer: The answer is beyond our limited knowledge and imagination. Maybe God is a creator and not a modifier?

Actually, there is a hole in your argument.

So you are saying that the child is not lazy, but as a result of his mom not knowing his thoughts, she thought he was just lazy. Okay this scenario is possible. But there is ANOTHER scenario that is also possible. What if the child IS lazy, AND his mom is telepathic. In this case she will think that he is lazy DESPITE being delepathic, because this will indeed be true. In other words, you seem to assume that no one in the planet is lazy, or bad in any other way. This assumption is needed in order to make a claim that the ONLY way to think of someone as bad is to misunderstand them.

And by the way, look at yourself. You don't have a perfect knowledge of other people. Yet, you were able to make such claim DESPITE your lack of knowledge. So, following your logic, it might be possible for the mom of a child to make similar inference that you did, and to say that IF she knew all about the child she won't be punishing him. Then, she would go to logical conclusion that she shouldn't punish him, period. After all why punish someone else for her own lack of knowledge?

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2006, 3:18 am

Dude, come on....I´m a hardcore atheist and even I´m a little offended.....

Yes, these are serious and legitimate questions, but the POST is only legitimate if you yourself have not come to any conclusions, but I think its obvious that you have your own answers already, so its just trolling.